Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

41 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Because you’re not going to cut him only to create another hole in the offense, and since his contract is the 10th highest paid TE in the NFL and Kyle was a top 10 production TE, it’s going to be difficult to get him to come to the table for a restructure. 

I'd rather create that hole if it gives me the cash to actually make improvements on the OL and DL. Was Rudolph really top 10 last year in production. It seems he was mostly used as a dump off option. He wasn't a threat in the redzone as much as he was in previous seasons. He's never been a regular threat over the middle of the field.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd rather create that hole if it gives me the cash to actually make improvements on the OL and DL.

Who, among the current players set to be UFAs or RFAs, are you planning on throwing so much money at that you’d need to create a hole by cutting Rudolph? 

Look at the list of players, and then think about the schemes that we run on defense or expect to run on offense. Honestly, outside of Sheldon Richardson, there isn’t a single impending free agent along either line that I’d be rushing to sign during the first few days of free agency. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Who, among the current players set to be UFAs or RFAs, are you planning on throwing so much money at that you’d need to create a hole by cutting Rudolph? 

Look at the list of players, and then think about the schemes that we run on defense or expect to run on offense. Honestly, outside of Sheldon Richardson, there isn’t a single impending free agent along either line that I’d be rushing to sign during the first few days of free agency. 

Richardson would be my first signing. Or Gerald McCoy is he is released. 

Maybe bringing Barr back too is considered if Rudolph is released. 

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Among tight ends;

7th in receptions, 10th in receiving yards, and T-9th in receiving touchdowns. 

With potentially new plays Id prefer to let Rudy go.  He hasn't looked fast in years, maybe he never did.  The hail mary catch was awesome!  Loved it!  I still think the Vikings move on.  I do see a lack of veterans starting to develop but that said I don't think Rudolph sets a standard of greatness on the field that qualifies paying him again.

17 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd rather create that hole if it gives me the cash to actually make improvements on the OL and DL. Was Rudolph really top 10 last year in production. It seems he was mostly used as a dump off option. He wasn't a threat in the redzone as much as he was in previous seasons. He's never been a regular threat over the middle of the field.

I think the problem Rudolph has is that he's slow and not very flashy.  Otherwise, he's a good dependable tight end.  The Vikings will never have All-Pros at every position...no team does...but those guys that reliably produce year in and year out are guys that you want around.  Maybe he can be restructured.  I would dump Sendejo, Remmers, Compton, Easton (if he's not back at full strength), Richardson, and I'd let Barr go in FA if he is able to fetch more than $10,000,000 a year elsewhere.  I might try and re-sign Richardson inexpensively, trade him and Rhodes to Washington for Brandon Scherff and Washington's 2nd Round pick.

Kyle Rudolph is in the last year of his contract. It is very limited what the team can do with a restructure; nothing they did in a restructure would help their situation. If the team wants to lower Rudolph's cap number and/or their actual expense on Rudolph this year they are going to need to either give him an extension, a pay cut, or both.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

Kyle Rudolph is in the last year of his contract. It is very limited what the team can do with a restructure; nothing they did in a restructure would help their situation. If the team wants to lower Rudolph's cap number and/or their actual expense on Rudolph this year they are going to need to either give him an extension, a pay cut, or both.

I have no problem giving him an extension that spreads out his compensation to minimize the CAP effect in any one year.

10 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I have no problem giving him an extension that spreads out his compensation to minimize the CAP effect in any one year.

And that is what I've been a proponent of...extend him to the end of his career (which will probably be in 2-3 yrs) to lower his cap number this year.  He's good enough for this team right now, there's no need to open up a hole on the team just in the hopes that you can get the same or more production from someone else.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think the problem Rudolph has is that he's slow and not very flashy.  Otherwise, he's a good dependable tight end.  The Vikings will never have All-Pros at every position...no team does...but those guys that reliably produce year in and year out are guys that you want around.  Maybe he can be restructured.  I would dump Sendejo, Remmers, Compton, Easton (if he's not back at full strength), Richardson, and I'd let Barr go in FA if he is able to fetch more than $10,000,000 a year elsewhere.  I might try and re-sign Richardson inexpensively, trade him and Rhodes to Washington for Brandon Scherff and Washington's 2nd Round pick.

My concern with hanging onto Rudolph another year is putting the need off. Why not address it with a more athletic TE and maybe someone who can help more as a blocker. Morgan is a good as a #2 but if the TE spot isn't being fully utilized due to Rudolph's limitations, why not just let Morgan start and draft a better athlete to work into the passing game? 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

My concern with hanging onto Rudolph another year is putting the need off. Why not address it with a more athletic TE and maybe someone who can help more as a blocker. Morgan is a good as a #2 but if the TE spot isn't being fully utilized due to Rudolph's limitations, why not just let Morgan start and draft a better athlete to work into the passing game? 

My guess is it's an argument between consistent production vs. unknown production.  The thing about Rudolph is that I really haven't seen him slow down any...heck, he's already slow.  But, he moves the chains...he presents another red zone option and, because of his size and good hands, he makes contested catches.  Is he athletic like Tony Gonzales? No...obviously.  Is he athletic enough for what the Vikings call on him to do?  Yes...year in and year out.

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

My guess is it's an argument between consistent production vs. unknown production.  The thing about Rudolph is that I really haven't seen him slow down any...heck, he's already slow.  But, he moves the chains...he presents another red zone option and, because of his size and good hands, he makes contested catches.  Is he athletic like Tony Gonzales? No...obviously.  Is he athletic enough for what the Vikings call on him to do?  Yes...year in and year out.

Cousins was very successful with the TE in Washington. But Reed was a completely different type than Rudolph. This team needs a third receiver to emerge as a threat, I don't think we got that from Rudolph last year. And certainly not from Treadwell. For $8m savings, I'd take the risk from going to Rudolph to Morgan as the starter, assuming another TE is drafted. 

• Like 1