Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Need to get to what, $35m in cap space to sign two $10-12m free agents, plus bring back Easton and sign rookies. Griffen and Rudolph won't get there alone.

why do we need to sign two high end free agents? 

Just now, Heimdallr said:

why do we need to sign two high end free agents? 

We want to bring back Richardson or Barr, correct?

And then one more external starting FA for the OL.

Basically if we want an offseason with both Paradis and Barr/Richardson, we need deeper cuts. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

We want to bring back Richardson or Barr, correct?

And then one more external starting FA for the OL.

Basically if we want an offseason with both Paradis and Barr/Richardson, we need deeper cuts. 

Operating with that assumption, then yes, we'd need to make quite a few more moves. I think I was under the assumption that both Barr and Richardson, if not at least one of the two, would probably not be retained at this point.

1 minute ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Operating with that assumption, then yes, we'd need to make quite a few more moves. I think I was under the assumption that both Barr and Richardson, if not at least one of the two, would probably not be retained at this point.

Under that assumption and the current cap restraints, we can't expect an external FA to be brought in then with one of Barr or Richardson, unless we're getting a bargain. 

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Under that assumption and the current cap restraints, we can't expect an external FA to be brought in then with one of Barr or Richardson, unless we're getting a bargain. 

Eight figure FA signings are the rarity. A lot of good free agents are going to be able for less. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Why do they need to sign such expensive free agents? 

Because a good OL is going to cost that much? Look at what decent/good ones are getting......I'm only assuming one "big" FA signing here......even then, they need more space.

Edited by PrplChilPill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Because a good OL is going to cost that much? Look at what decent/good ones are getting......I'm only assuming one "big" FA signing here......even then, they need more space.

But the only OL out there that would be even close to worth that are Saffold and maybe James, right? Any other guy would be a big time overpay.

11 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

But the only OL out there that would be even close to worth that are Saffold and maybe James, right? Any other guy would be a big time overpay.

I suppose you could just choose not to improve the OL in FA at all, and hope you can find two starters in the draft.....good luck. "overpay" is pretty loaded as a term....because if that's the going rate, that's the going rate.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Considering what Trent Brown just got, I want nothing to do with a "good" OL free agent.

The good ones never hit the market, and the mediocre ones that do get WAY too much money. 

Good luck finding two starters in teh draft this year.....while also filling DL and DB and LB.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

I suppose you could just choose not to improve the OL in FA at all, and hope you can find two starters in the draft.....good luck. "overpay" is pretty loaded as a term....because if that's the going rate, that's the going rate.....

Or you just wait for that first wave of free agent hysteria to pass, then look for players at a much more reasonable rate. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Improvements on the OL will likely have to come from 

1) bringing back Easton to start at LG and he immediately plays at 2017 level

2) Pat Elflein drastically improves

3) draft a RG in round one or two

it can be done on limited investments just need a lot to go our way