Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Or you just wait for that first wave of free agent hysteria to pass, then look for players at a much more reasonable rate. 

Will those players be good? Because if they are good, they are getting paid. But, settling for mediocre, and hoping you can get even a mediocre OL for a reasonable number? Still, given the cap room teams have, and the dearth of even mediocre OL, good luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Improvements on the OL will likely have to come from 

1) bringing back Easton to start at LG and he immediately plays at 2017 level

2) Pat Elflein drastically improves

3) draft a RG in round one or two

it can be done on limited investments just need a lot to go our way 

So, luck. You want to bet this year on luck? Because that's what that is (or hope, I guess). 

• Like 1

Just now, SemperFeist said:

That’s what you’re hoping with free agency, as well. 

I guess that is one way to look at it, unless you sign players you think are good, and not hoping they'll be good after injury and bad play....because those are two very different things.

to be clear, if I was certain I'd get two starting OGs in teh draft, I'd not sign an OL.....but that's going to require a TON of luck in the draft and a lot of breath holding......

This is the year to combine late picks to move up in round 2 and 3 to do so, imo. 

Just now, vikestyle said:

Yeah and I'd rather spend more money to keep the whole team strong than give Roger Saffold $15 million a year 

The team missed the playoffs last year, how strong is it, exactly? They have one playoff win in how many years now? I'd 100% rather have a starting OG than Rudolph, for example. The team can be quite good with a different TE, but probably won't win much with the OL they have right now....

I don't think this team is strong at all, with zero starting OGs.....zero. and a mediocre center. 

• Like 1

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

The team missed the playoffs last year, how strong is it, exactly? They have one playoff win in how many years now? I'd 100% rather have a starting OG than Rudolph, for example. The team can be quite good with a different TE, but probably won't win much with the OL they have right now....

I don't think this team is strong at all, with zero starting OGs.....zero. and a mediocre center. 

Yes and sacrificing any depth we could have anywhere else so we can pay a guard will make this a super bowl team

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

Yes and sacrificing any depth we could have anywhere else so we can pay a guard will make this a super bowl team

I never said that. But excellent straw man.

They literally have zero starting OGs right now, and a bad/mediocre center. What good is any of that other depth, if they don't have OGs that can block even a little? 

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I never said that. But excellent straw man.

They literally have zero starting OGs right now, and a bad/mediocre center. What good is any of that other depth, if they don't have OGs that can block even a little? 

I mean Compton could block a little and Easton could block a little. Plus we have the draft. Don't cut everyone to overpay a guard. Sign some guys to compete and draft well. Don't panic and sign free agents to horrible contracts.

2 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I mean Compton could block a little and Easton could block a little. Plus we have the draft. Don't cut everyone to overpay a guard. Sign some guys to compete and draft well. Don't panic and sign free agents to horrible contracts.

How's that working for this team? They have ONE OL that is a good starter they've drafted on the roster. One.......

Who said cut everyone? One guy, like Rudolph, is all it would take. One guy, a good, but not great, TE. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Id rather trade an expensive asset at a position of stength (CB) to get another good draft pick (and more money) to improve weaknesses.

Id rather not hang onto to aging vets who've been here awhile that are clearly on the downturn of their careers (Rudolph and Griffen).

Thats a lot of money and big opportunity cost that could otherwise allow the team to acquire an additional Impact FA like a Paradis or Saffold up front. 

I definitely agree on not signing horrible contracts but it seems that the mediocre free agents who are signed to be something greater than they are is what burns a team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

How's that working for this team? They have ONE OL that is a good starter they've drafted on the roster. One.......

Who said cut everyone? One guy, like Rudolph, is all it would take. One guy, a good, but not great, TE. 

I thought you were the guy who said we'd need to cut Rudolph, Griffen, and trade a CB to sign anyone but that was someone else. My bad. But still, who are you wanting them to sign? Saffold and James are going to get in the $14 million neighborhood I would think. Are you willing to pay that?

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Id rather trade an expensive asset at a position of stength (CB) to get another good draft pick (and more money) to improve weaknesses.

Id rather not hang onto to aging vets who've been here awhile that are clearly on the downturn of their careers (Rudolph and Griffen).

Thats a lot of money and big opportunity cost that could otherwise allow the team to acquire an additional Impact FA like a Paradis or Saffold up front. 

I definitely agree on not signing horrible contracts but it seems that the mediocre free agents who are signed to be something greater than they are is what burns a team.

Which is pretty much all FA OL.