Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

6 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Damn, Rhodes has an injury plagued, down year and now suddenly isn't a playmaker, doesn't cover well and Waynes figures to be a better player over the next few years....

Am I taking crazy pills?

One of them is a lot younger, and more likely to be still good in three years.....or do you think Rhodes will just play at this level as long as Waynes?

17 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Damn, Rhodes has an injury plagued, down year and now suddenly isn't a playmaker, doesn't cover well and Waynes figures to be a better player over the next few years....

Am I taking crazy pills?

I never saw him as a playmaker. I see a defensive playmaker as someone who creates turnovers, big hits, or sacks. When I think of "playmaker," I think of Mack, Donald, Ramsey, Peters, etc.

He's a shutdown corner who doesn't get many INTs/forced fumbles (10 INT and 2 FF in 6 seasons) because he doesn't get thrown at often. Not only that, but the reason he's a shutdown corner is because he necessarily doesn't go for the big play but rather the right play. Sometimes playmaking CBs get burned trying to go for the INT rather than the break-up.

Him not necessarily being a playmaker doesn't take away from him being elite in past years.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Rhodes isn't a playmaker either...and has "made" less plays than Waynes over the past few years.  Being a playmaker at CB is overrated.  They need DBs who can cover, which Waynes can do...and has gotten significantly better at every year.  

It's not a battle between Waynes vs Rhodes. I agree with Rhodes not being a playmaker either and said Waynes is improving. However, Rhodes is locked up and not up for a new contract after next season. Vikings don't have the money to Franchise Waynes. I would rather get something to help them now over keeping him for a year then losing him. Waynes can be replace.  

34 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

You'd have not had a QB going into the draft last year?

What was the better alternative, and how much less would that have cost?

How good of a QB do you really need to go 8-7-1 and miss the playoffs? Pretty sure we could have found one for less than 28 million. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

One of them is a lot younger, and more likely to be still good in three years.....or do you think Rhodes will just play at this level as long as Waynes?

There's a giant two year difference between the two and it takes Waynes at his best and Rhodes at his worst for the two to be comparable.

Rhodes is still in his prime and with only 3 years left on his deal could still be in his prime at the end of his contract. Yeah it was a down year for him, he also was battling more injuries than usual and yet was still a good corner matched against opposing teams top WR.

Expecting a bounce back year is highly reasonable and with his average salary hit being 13m he is well valued.

At the same point in his career as Waynes is at right now, Xavier was already an elite corner, which we cant say for the former.

So to what skill level are we to reasonably project Waynes to? What contact are you giving Waynes after trading Rhodes? If you're lucky it's about the same cap hit as Rhodes current one....so what money are you saving?

I say keep both of em because they're both at a good value for their ability and we there are other ways to address team need than weakening a big strength

Always like Stephen but he's probably getting $5-6 million per year given how stupid these contracts have become. 

Makes me think they are moving on from Richardson with Stephen and Jaleel Johnson platooning UT. Need a pass rusher though.

Edited by vikingsrule