Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Zimmer was asked Monday about Sloter’s development. 

Zimmer: “He’s behind, but he’s an athletic kid, throws the ball good, strong arm. But he’s catching up.”

Sloter: "I’m not a master of it [the playbook] quite yet like Case and Sam are, but I could definitely get in there and run the basic plays that we have. I would say I could probably run 70 to 80 percent of the playbook successfully. That’s going to come with time. I think in the next coupe weeks I’ll have it down pretty good. It’s been a great ride so far, and I’ve enjoyed my time in Minnesota, I’m just going to hopefully keep growing in the offensive playbook and keep working my way up.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/NOTEBOOK-Sloter-Focused-on-Mastering-Vikings-Playbook/a8cc9bfa-cc9d-49b4-baa1-d948aeed4c2e?sf114991621=1

If the Vikings ever need an emergency quarterback, tight end Blake Bell said he would be up for the task. Bell was Oklahoma’s primary starting quarterback in 2013 and completed 140 of 233 passes for 1,648 yards with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions. The next year, he was replaced by Trevor Knight and moved to tight end. Bell has remained at that position since entering the NFL in 2015 and playing the past two seasons with San Francisco. With the 49ers dressing just two quarterbacks for games, Bell said he was often the emergency QB.

Bell: “There were couple of times I would take snaps, just handoffs in practice, in case it got to that. Hey, you never know, whatever the team needs me to do.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/22/vikings-wr-jarius-wright-happy-to-be-playing-even-if-its-not-a-lot/

39 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

He has been inactive for both games. Zimmer just really doesn't like playing rookies if he can help it. 

Maybe he hasn't fully grasped the mental part of the game? Zimmer won't play a rookie if they're not fully up to speed.

I think he'll be activated soon enough though. He's such an awesome run stopper and that seems to be of great importance for our defense.

53 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

As evidenced by our 3 rookie starters. 

Rookie RB:  can't help but play him as no one else stepped up to the challenge to be starting RB, for several reasons.

Rookie C:  better than Berger, and would've been a starter later in the season if he didn't need to start ( so Berger could move to OG ).

Rookie LB:  might have been able to start a young vet LB if any of them developed as quickly as Gedeon.  Couldn't help but start him for that reason.

As Heindallr qualified his statement 'if he can help it', it makes sense for 3 rookies to start in positions that involved an open competition to start among several players, mostly young or rookies.  The exception, Berger, a vet, was 'replaced' at C because it made more sense for him to move to OG.

Zimmer could have gone with the veteran running back they just payed a significant amount of money. They didn’t have to start Cook. 

Easton was the starting center for most of preseason and training camp. They could have kept Boone at RG and started Easton at center. Again, they didn’t have to start Elflein. 

Edmond Robinson and Emmanuel Lamur got plenty of reps with the 1st team in the preseason and training camp. Since Lamur was kept, they didn’t have to start Gedeon. 

The idea that Zimmer doesn’t play rookies if he can help it is thoroughly false. We’ve seen rookies start and other be key contributors every year he’s coached. Simply put, Zimmer plays the guys who have earned the right to play. Rookies and veterans alike. 

Current backup quarterback Kyle Sloter wasn’t sure what he was hearing during some of Pat Shurmur’s play calls last week at Pittsburgh. That wasn’t an issue against the Buccaneers, Sloter said Monday.

Sloter: “First thing I did was come off the field and talk to [Shurmur] about how comfortable I felt with the play calls. This week I really went back and put in some long hours and tried to understand the playbook as much as I could. This game I felt it all came together.”

http://www.startribune.com/dalvin-cook-s-big-workload-with-vikings-demands-he-maintain-his-body-with-newfound-necessities/447821133/