Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

48 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Remember those times that Spielman offered Mike Wallace and Alshon Jeffery more money and they chose Miami and Philadelphia, respectively?

I’m sure there is more players that do this also......

but then again you always have to look at tax figures and living expenses.

You are way more likely to be spending some big money and cash out on the town in NYC in a 5 years span not to meantion just expenses for a house of the same size, utilities, and other things.

or maybe Barr did really just feel like home here.

Im sure there are PLENTY of other occurances where we would have to outbid some players by a fair amount to get players to come here. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I just don’t understand it to be honest.

We literally picked up the #1 free agent LT (could argue Ricky Wagner, but it was pretty much 1a vs 1b) and paid solid money for him because that’s what you do with free agents

We signed the #4 ish RT and also paid him pretty well.

We traded for a LG that actually played fairly well but got injured.

Now we say we don’t do anything to help this offensive line in FA, but just a couple years ago we did. And it didn’t turn out well, neither did any of the other tackles we could have picked up.

Now to the draft, we took the best Center in the draft, invested in him. Looked to be improved...... aaaannd another injury.

then last year we drafted a new shiny RT, and moved out old RT inside on the hopes he could work out there, well our new RT just let up 0 sacks.

we say we don’t focus on the line, but maybe Rick is just taking a new approach, probably one that should have been done long ago, but just ignoring these big contract offensive free agent lineman that very rarely pan out, and just draft them!

Yes, we didn’t get Staffold or Paradis, but we also didn’t end up over paying them.

even if we signed Paradis we would still be looking for 2 new guards. 

To pry good offensive lineman, not great...just good, from their respective teams means overpaying.  "Solid money" only guarantees mediocrity at best.  Offensive lineman contracts are quickly going the way of quarterbacks...because good ones are rare...and everybody needs them.  "Solid money" won't even make the Vikings competitive for good lineman.  You're right, we could've overpaid Saffold or Paradis. That's what it's going to take to improve, unfortunately.  It doesn't even appear that the Vikings were serious contenders for either. 

Let's consider worst case scenario going forward.  Suppose Easton signs elsewhere or cannot pass a physical (both are possible)?  Suppose also that Elflein doesn't improve over last season...he's just a player that overachieved as a rookie (also possible)?  Who will the Vikings play in the interior of the line?  Cousins pretty much crumbles when the pressure is coming up the middle and into his face.  What are we going to do?  Play untested rookies and journeymen free agents is what will happen.  It's awfully hard to think that there will be improvement if this is the case.

10 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

We also need a QB2, WR3, RB2, Safety depth (losing two) and a K.

Sloter is under contract, perhaps they think he can be QB2?

WR3 I'll give you, we need a reliable one

RB2 I can see the argument especially with the Thomas situation. I'd like to see Boone be given the opportunity but wouldn't be opposed is someone was added.

Safety we only lost Sendejo, who was the 2nd? However, we'll probably need to add one at some point

K we obviously need, Bailey hasn't been scooped up to my knowledge

With FA 2 days old, the Draft, and UDFA still to occur I think we'll see the team start to fill out. I saw a quote from Spielman that this is just the beginning of FA. We'll see what happens in the weeks leading up to the draft.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Why? He’s worse than the two guards we had last year. 

Didn't see he was slightly worse than Remmers last year according to PFF.... my bad... Rather bring Remmers back if that's the case. I just know how good the Titans line is, didnt think he was the weakest link on it.

2 minutes ago, Saosin said:

Didn't see he was slightly worse than Remmers last year according to PFF.... my bad... Rather bring Remmers back if that's the case. I just know how good the Titans line is, didnt think he was the weakest link on it.

Apparently, he was solid in the several years before that, but he wasn't good at all last year.  

36 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Let's consider worst case scenario going forward.  Suppose Easton signs elsewhere or cannot pass a physical (both are possible)?  Suppose also that Elflein doesn't improve over last season...he's just a player that overachieved as a rookie (also possible)?  Who will the Vikings play in the interior of the line?  Cousins pretty much crumbles when the pressure is coming up the middle and into his face.  What are we going to do?  Play untested rookies and journeymen free agents is what will happen.  It's awfully hard to think that there will be improvement if this is the case.

Let’s play worst case scenario. The Vikings let Anthony Barr leave, and release Everson Griffen to create enough cap space to go after these high priced, albeit average starting offensive linemen. Let’s say you get aggressive and land BOTH Saffold and Paradis. Since we’re playing worst case scenario, Saffold never lives up to his contract and doesn’t succeed in a system outside of McVay’s, Paradis is constantly injured and never on the field, the team is stuck paying two overpriced lineman, and the defense has taken a major hit losing two of its best players. 

Looks even worse, when you play the worst case scenario game. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Let’s play worst case scenario. The Vikings let Anthony Barr leave, and release Everson Griffen to create enough cap space to go after these high priced, albeit average starting offensive linemen. Let’s say you get aggressive and land BOTH Saffold and Paradis. Since we’re playing worst case scenario, Saffold never lives up to his contract and doesn’t succeed in a system outside of McVay’s, Paradis is constantly injured and never on the field, the team is stuck paying two overpriced lineman, and the defense has taken a major hit losing too if its best players. 

Looks even worse, when you play the worst case scenario game. 

It is better to have tried and failed then to have not tried at all.

34 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

You're right, we could've overpaid Saffold or Paradis. That's what it's going to take to improve, unfortunately.  It doesn't even appear that the Vikings were serious contenders for either. 

We could of offered them both more money and they could have said no. 

Saffold battled injuries, struggled for most of his career. Comes out and has a very good year this past year, so we should overpay him? Literally had one above average year, how much of this was due to finally playing next to one of, if not the best LT in football and being next to a former all-pro center with plenty of experience?

we should just pay him now to save our line?

Paradis possibly was one where you could look at has been consistent. But he is also coming off a fractured fibula from last year. Neither him or Elfien has played guard in their career, if we can’t move Reiff to guard, why should we move Elfien? Just because they are interior lineman, the positions play as much different as tackle. 

And another thing, who says they wanted to play here, what if to get either one of these guys here cost an extra $2M?

thats a lot of extra money to throw at some unknowns.

7 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It is better to have tried and failed then to have not tried at all.

Exactly, they are trying to win. Gambling money on free agents hasn’t worked for us, Reiff and Remmers, why would it work this time? 

Maybe they saw they have success with this past rookie, maybe they believe, like me, the rookie class has a chance to be just as good as a couple of overpaid lineman for the team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Exactly, they are trying to win. Gambling money on free agents hasn’t worked for us, Reiff and Remmers, why would it work this time? 

Maybe they saw they have success with this past rookie, maybe they believe, like me, the rookie class has a chance to be just as good as a couple of overpaid lineman for the team.

If Rick Spielman thinks that the draft should be used for immediate needs like the offensive line I want him fired ASAP. The draft should not be counted on to fill immediate needs.