Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Let’s play worst case scenario. The Vikings let Anthony Barr leave, and release Everson Griffen to create enough cap space to go after these high priced, albeit average starting offensive linemen. Let’s say you get aggressive and land BOTH Saffold and Paradis. Since we’re playing worst case scenario, Saffold never lives up to his contract and doesn’t succeed in a system outside of McVay’s, Paradis is constantly injured and never on the field, the team is stuck paying two overpriced lineman, and the defense has taken a major hit losing two of its best players. 

Looks even worse, when you play the worst case scenario game. 

I am glad that Barr and Griffen are back, but truthfully, they could've been more readily replaced then filling all the holes in the offensive line.  I guess what really irritates me is that all the signs have been pointing to the dilemma over linemen for a very long time.  I think the problems we have now could've been avoided with recognizing and responding to the need of better talent along the offensive line.  It's to the point now that Spielman needs to hit grand slams with every at bat he takes with the draft.  His warm up swings aren't look really good.

20 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think the problems we have now could've been avoided with recognizing and responding to the need of better talent along the offensive line.  

If you don't believe they recognized the issue years ago by signing guys like Harris, Sirles, Easton, Boone, Remmers, and Reiff, I'm not sure what you can be told to convince you that they did.  Hell, they even brought in Rashod Hill from Jacksonville.  Not to mention how they tried when signing proven players in Andre Smith and Jake Long.

They've certainly recognized that there needed to be a talent upgrade.  It's clearly evident that they've tried to do so. Now, they haven't hit the mother load like Dallas did...or Green Bay has done in the past. Sure, but last I checked, regardless, the Vikings have had just as good a record over the past 5 years as both of those teams (Vikings had 47 wins compared to Green Bay's 45 and Dallas' 48).  That has to account for something.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If you don't believe they recognized the issue years ago by signing guys like Harris, Sirles, Easton, Boone, Remmers, and Reiff, I'm not sure what you can be told to convince you that they did.  Hell, they even brought in Rashod Hill from Jacksonville.  Not to mention how they tried when signing proven players in Andre Smith and Jake Long.  

Draft capital. It works on the defensive side..... Draft capital. Not late round picks, which they've just flushed down the toilet when picking OL. 

6 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm just really not sure about any plan that involves moving O'Neill to LT.

My personal preference would be to keep him at RT.

My preference would be this as well, but we honestly just need to get the five best offensive lineman we can, and go from there. 

Could involve Reiff moving inside, could involve Elflein moving out to guard, could involve O’Neill flopping sides

Edited by RpMc