Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Draft capital. It works on the defensive side..... Draft capital. Not late round picks, which they've just flushed down the toilet when picking OL. 

I agree that it would have been nice to get some offensive line in the top 2 rounds of the draft, but, as we've gone back and forth over the years now, Cody Whitehair and Will Hernandez are the only "good" offensive linemen that they've passed on that were still sitting on the board at their pick.  The offensive linemen just haven't been there when they picked.  Sure, they could probably could have finagled their way to get one (by trading up), but we don't know whether they tried or not, or what it would have cost to do so.  

Just now, swede700 said:

I agree that it would have been nice to get some offensive line in the top 2 rounds of the draft, but, as we've gone back and forth over the years now, Cody Whitehair and Will Hernandez are the only "good" offensive linemen that they've passed on that were still sitting on the board at their pick.  The offensive linemen just haven't been there when they picked.  Sure, they could probably could have finagled their way to get one (by trading up), but we don't know whether they tried or not, or what it would have cost to do so.  

And Hernedez hasn’t been that good.....

11 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Ok..... we’ve seen people talk about cutting Reiff earlier to save caproom, but what if they sign Ryan and look to trade Reiff for pennies on the dollar to relieve cap room and maybe gain a late round draft pick.

I'd rather keep Reiff and look to add a developmental LT somewhere.

Again, was Reiff that bad outside of the Bills debacle?

20 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Ok..... we’ve seen people talk about cutting Reiff earlier to save caproom, but what if they sign Ryan and look to trade Reiff for pennies on the dollar to relieve cap room and maybe gain a late round draft pick.

Not really sure cutting/trading a guy for cap room, only to use that cap room on a player who’s not an upgrade is a wise move. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Why am I cutting a starting OL at this point, when I need three? I'm not sure Ryan is any better or not......They already need to bring in 2-3 new starters, I'd prefer it not be 3-4 (counting Ryan).

I don't understand this plan at all.

We don't like Reiff now? I thought it was Remmers we wanted to move on from.

On another note, the Pats just released DE Adrian Clayborn. I thought he played fine but apparently he wasn't a perfect scheme fit. I don't suppose we would want him here (or could afford him)? I like Everson but I'm not sure how much he has left, physically and/or mentally.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I guess my theory was on Schraeder not touching the amount of cap room Reiff would be.

I think you’re going to have a hard time getting a veteran like schreader to sign for enough under $5M to be worth the downgrade. And you’d still have to address the guard spot. 

Honestly, the only way signing a free agent tackle, or using a high draft pick on a tackle makes sense is if Reiff remains on the roster, and kicks inside to guard. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

We don't like Reiff now? I thought it was Remmers we wanted to move on from.

On another note, the Pats just released DE Adrian Clayborn. I thought he played fine but apparently he wasn't a perfect scheme fit. I don't suppose we would want him here (or could afford him)? I like Everson but I'm not sure how much he has left, physically and/or mentally.

I don't know much about Clayborn, but I agree with you on Everson.  He is not the player he was 2 years ago.  It sounds like he is staying around, though.  Let's just hope they were able to restructure his contract to a fair price.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't know much about Clayborn, but I agree with you on Everson.  He is not the player he was 2 years ago.  It sounds like he is staying around, though.  Let's just hope they were able to restructure his contract to a fair price.

Clayborn is only a year younger than Everson, but with quite a bit more left in the tank in my opinion. He overcame injuries with the Bucs early in his career to become a monster with the Falcons and most recently a Super Bowl champion in New England.

I always liked the guy so that's why I bring it up. But he'll probably go to some other team that can afford to overpay him. ^_^

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Now, let's apply that same statement to the Kirk Cousins situation and have a discussion around that....alright, go!  ;)

I don't think that Cousins has been a colossal failure at all like the offensive line. In fact, with a decent offensive line I am confident that Cousins would be a decent QB. I do think that the team is paying Cousins more than he is worth. I think I mentioned on this board before that I also think that QB is a good choice of position for where you allocate overpay dollars.

With Cousins and his overinflated salary locked up, I believe the Vikings ought to be looking at QB in the draft and be willing to take one in the first round if a guy they would like to hand the offense over to next year falls to their pick.

Similarly, I think the Vikings should have overpaid for an offensive linemen this year to hold the fort while looking towards the draft to find the guy to take over after a year or two of paying the overinflated contract.

I am good with Reiff at LT for the year. LT and QB are two of the positions that I see as great fits to be the Vikings first round draft pick.

TE is a pretty good fit as well other than the fact I have hesitations about TE being a position to invest a first round pick into. I do think that the evolution of offenses in the NFL does point towards the value of the TE position increasing so I am more open to using a high pick on that position now than I ever have been before.  When Rudolph was drafted I still thought a team shouldn't be considering TE as a position to draft anywhere in the first two rounds. Offenses are changing and today I wouldn't have that same reservation of drafting a TE in the second round.

Similarly, five years ago I would have been against drafting a guard in the first round. Things change and in the current environment of scarcity a guard in the first round makes perfect sense. However, the Vikings still need a starter for this year and the draft should not be relied upon for starters needed this year. The drafts is a tool to fill imminent needs like QB and LT, not immediate needs. Immediate needs should be filled via free agency. And yes, to fill a hole through free agency means overpaying. That is the price of failing to secure a talent through the draft when the need was merely an imminent need.

• Like 1