Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

here is one lineman we should be happy we avoided.

Agreed. I have watched some games he has played and he is yikers. I mean, not as bad as Clemmings but I wouldn't feel very good about playing him at all let alone paying him $4M to be a backup.

It does look like $7M - $8M is about what the market dictates a team should pay for average guards. All of the players signing for less than that I would be less than the median point of projections I would make. $6M will get you a guy with some potential but also some question marks -- a guy like Nick Easton.  If $4M only buys you an Ereck Flowers you are wasting your money. If you are in a situation where you still need a guy you have already made some serious mistakes.

I hope Rick Spielman is making a list of the top 20 or so best zone scheme guards that are already under contract and calling around to see which one of them will be the the least painful to trade for. Maybe he can find a late career guy that can competently fill the position for a year at a cost that is not too obscene. If he has to pay an obscene cost he should at least target the very best. Cap space will be an issue. Maybe he should have let Barr walk and taken the third round compensatory considerations and cap space; he could have used that cap space and possible future pick when considering trades for a decent guard.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Still would need more moves to fit his salary of his contract after Kline just for rookies $12.5M

also i have no idea why the redskins would want to trade him.

They wouldn't want to. It would have to be an offer that couldn't refuse.

Just now, Cearbhall said:

They wouldn't want to. It would have to be an offer that couldn't refuse.

Ya, and I don’t think another 5th year option player that has no ties to Washington & a second round would do that.

im sure they aren’t all for paying two cornerbacks a high price especially after just way overpaying for a safety. Waynes to Washington makes very little sense.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

If you think it is about missing a guy coming off a herniated disk then I have been doing a poor job of explaining myself. It is based off of plenty years of failure. The time leading up to the draft was the last chance that I am giving the current GM and I am still open to him working something out before the draft.  It is only if he goes into the draft without a solution in place that I'll be putting down all hope for the current GM.

Is drafting a solution not acceptable?  Say we get jonah williams in the first and lindstrom in the second (both of whom id take over pretty much any free agent option that was out there)...would you still say he needs fired? Or does he have to sign someone that we dont want to see on the field for us to male you happy?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Although it's not a popular opinion, I think Compton can start in this league. However, I only think he can start if he is your worst starter. The problem with last year was he was our 3rd best lineman. That can't happen. If Reiff and Elflein have good years, O'Neill continues to improve, and we get a good starter at RG, I think Compton can be an average starter at LG. However, that is A LOT of ifs.

I didnt get to watch much last year, but every single time i watched and compton was in he seemed to be the weakest link. It was bad.  Maybe i only saw his rough games....isadora was someone i actually liked what i saw as a 5th best oline type more.

3 hours ago, Heavydan85 said:

I didnt get to watch much last year, but every single time i watched and compton was in he seemed to be the weakest link. It was bad.  Maybe i only saw his rough games....isadora was someone i actually liked what i saw as a 5th best oline type more.

Early in the season Compton looked rough. As the season went on, I thought Compton was solid and outplayed Remmers and Elflein pretty consistently, and even outplayed Reiff a couple of times. That's more of an indictment of those guys than praise for Compton though.

5 hours ago, Heavydan85 said:

Is drafting a solution not acceptable?  Say we get jonah williams in the first and lindstrom in the second (both of whom id take over pretty much any free agent option that was out there)...would you still say he needs fired? Or does he have to sign someone that we dont want to see on the field for us to male you happy?

Having never seen Williams, Lindstrom or Bradbury play...and realizing how different line play is between college and pro ball...I am wondering if anyone that is immediately drafted can be considered a day one starter? I think the Vikings really got luck with O'Neill making a solid transformation to pro ball offensive line play...but I'm wondering if he's the exception and not the rule?  I really don't know...I haven't watched college football for some years now.

7 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Having never seen Williams, Lindstrom or Bradbury play...and realizing how different line play is between college and pro ball...I am wondering if anyone that is immediately drafted can be considered a day one starter? I think the Vikings really got luck with O'Neill making a solid transformation to pro ball offensive line play...but I'm wondering if he's the exception and not the rule?  I really don't know...I haven't watched college football for some years now.

All three of the guys mentioned played in more pro-style offenses. Plus the NFL has gone more shotgun heavy so OL is a little bit easier projection. 

6 hours ago, Heavydan85 said:

Correct, waiting until the draft this year and hoping for luck is not a solution that I find acceptable even if the team does get lucky during the draft and ends up with two rookie all pro guards. More often than that, a hole that gaping going into the draft leads to a team reaching for need and you end up with Christian Ponder type picks. It also leads to other teams knowing what you need to do and jumping ahead of your pick to take guys that you would have wanted.

Counting on the draft for the two guards would be a terrible way to run a team especially considering the state of the offensive line the last few years. That level of recklessness is not something that I would want to continue running the team. This isn't original thought of mine or anything. It is generally accepted in the league from what I can tell. You don't see the team with the number 1 pick completely counting on the first overall pick. They go sign a Tyrod Taylor as a placeholder until the rookie has a chance to earn the starting job. Why should a team picking at 18 have any more confidence in their unknown rookie? You sign a Teddy Bridgewater and retain a Josh McCown to hold the position until you are able to draft a Sam Darnold and see him earn the start. You sign a Sam Bradford while hoping to get a Josh Rosen in the draft. It doesn't end well when you go into the draft with a dire need. From my perspective, it shows a lack of understanding on how to run an NFL team. That is even more true when it is the offensive line. We aren't talking about a kicker, punter. Maybe you can get away with designing an offense that doesn't require a TE or can be successful with a street free agent RB. You can mask holes on a defense with scheme. However, on the offensive line the other team literally gets to pick how they attack you. Gaping holes at the position group will quickly ruin the hopes of an otherwise great looking team -- again.

Signing someone that shouldn't be counted on as a starter will not solve the current problem. From what I can see and what I know trading is the only remaining option to get at least one above average starting guard. Maybe they can sign someone else to fill in at the other guard position but whoever it is won't inspire much confidence.

While drafting isn't the solution right now, it is the long-term solution. The team wouldn't be in the current situation had they drafted better. Guard is an immediate need right now. It cannot wait for the draft. The draft is for impending needs. After the team finds starters for the year the team absolutely needs to still consider guard an impending need and draft accordingly.

• Like 1