Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

8 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

So basically no money if we draft and play a rookie kicker.

He'll get the $250k if the team drafts and plays a rookie kicker. The deal definitely leaves open the possibility of a meaningful camp kicking competition if the team finds someone else for the competition.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Correct, waiting until the draft this year and hoping for luck is not a solution that I find acceptable even if the team does get lucky during the draft and ends up with two rookie all pro guards. More often than that, a hole that gaping going into the draft leads to a team reaching for need and you end up with Christian Ponder type picks. It also leads to other teams knowing what you need to do and jumping ahead of your pick to take guys that you would have wanted.

Counting on the draft for the two guards would be a terrible way to run a team especially considering the state of the offensive line the last few years. That level of recklessness is not something that I would want to continue running the team. This isn't original thought of mine or anything. It is generally accepted in the league from what I can tell. You don't see the team with the number 1 pick completely counting on the first overall pick. They go sign a Tyrod Taylor as a placeholder until the rookie has a chance to earn the starting job. Why should a team picking at 18 have any more confidence in their unknown rookie? You sign a Teddy Bridgewater and retain a Josh McCown to hold the position until you are able to draft a Sam Darnold and see him earn the start. You sign a Sam Bradford while hoping to get a Josh Rosen in the draft. It doesn't end well when you go into the draft with a dire need. From my perspective, it shows a lack of understanding on how to run an NFL team. That is even more true when it is the offensive line. We aren't talking about a kicker, punter. Maybe you can get away with designing an offense that doesn't require a TE or can be successful with a street free agent RB. You can mask holes on a defense with scheme. However, on the offensive line the other team literally gets to pick how they attack you. Gaping holes at the position group will quickly ruin the hopes of an otherwise great looking team -- again.

Signing someone that shouldn't be counted on as a starter will not solve the current problem. From what I can see and what I know trading is the only remaining option to get at least one above average starting guard. Maybe they can sign someone else to fill in at the other guard position but whoever it is won't inspire much confidence.

While drafting isn't the solution right now, it is the long-term solution. The team wouldn't be in the current situation had they drafted better. Guard is an immediate need right now. It cannot wait for the draft. The draft is for impending needs. After the team finds starters for the year the team absolutely needs to still consider guard an impending need and draft accordingly.

I guess i just never saw a realistic oline option in free agency (maybe paradis) at least not as a starter.  I maybe saw some backups and we can still get that type. 

Personally i am fine teams knowing we need an oline or two in the draft. I went into the offseason assuming the goal to be keep most of our keu players minus richardson or barr.  And sign near min. deals on a few place holders that hopefully turn into key backups.  I fully expected oline to wait til the draft to be "fixed"

Not signing Barr and getting saffold for example, would have still left a hole in the oline, but realistically also one at lb, still 2 holes. Still needing 2 hits in the draft. 

This is the plan i expected and wanted, with how many oline i like in this draft and how few i disliked in free agency.  

17 minutes ago, Heavydan85 said:

I guess i just never saw a realistic oline option in free agency (maybe paradis) at least not as a starter.  I maybe saw some backups and we can still get that type. 

Personally i am fine teams knowing we need an oline or two in the draft. I went into the offseason assuming the goal to be keep most of our keu players minus richardson or barr.  And sign near min. deals on a few place holders that hopefully turn into key backups.  I fully expected oline to wait til the draft to be "fixed"

Not signing Barr and getting saffold for example, would have still left a hole in the oline, but realistically also one at lb, still 2 holes. Still needing 2 hits in the draft. 

This is the plan i expected and wanted, with how many oline i like in this draft and how few i disliked in free agency.  

not one or two, two. They have one OG on the roster right now, and if he's a starter, may as well punt the season now. They need two, even if they sign a washed up veteran backup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Agreed.  I'm fine with them just giving him the opportunity to be the primary backup.  If Cousins gets injured, they're probably screwed even if they brought in a "veteran" backup, with who's left in the marketplace. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Heavydan85 said:

There were options in free agency and trade but I agree that Spielman's larger sin is leaving the cupboard so bare on the offensive line heading into free agency. That was a huge mistake that made his odds of not failing very slim.

If you are fine with the team needing two starters on the offensive line heading into the draft and this was the plan that you wanted that is fine. But if you were running the team I would be calling for your head :P Your philosophy on how to build an NFL team is so disjoint with mine at that point that it hardly makes sense for you to reply to any of my posts on the topic and vice versa. There is nothing wrong with having a different team building philosophy; we should recognize that they are completely incompatible. Continuing is like two devout people having a religious debate.

• Like 1