Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

13 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yep, while maybe he didnt have many home runs left in him, he just very rarely made mistakes. 

And with how important field position is to our team, he was great. Never was reversing field and trying to make something out of nothing, he took what was there and made some guys miss. Exactly what we needed.

• Like 1

I agree Sherels was a consistent, reliable returner. When he was back there, I never really felt like there was going to be a mistake play.  Every once in a while, he'd turn in a nice return, and over several years nailed a few TDs.  The ST were his strength.  

The staff must really feel good about Hughes, Hill and Abdullah as returners going forward.  I hope we as fans can have the same trust in them as we did Sherels.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I agree Sherels was a consistent, reliable returner. When he was back there, I never really felt like there was going to be a mistake play.  Every once in a while, he'd turn in a nice return, and over several years nailed a few TDs.  The ST were his strength.  

The staff must really feel good about Hughes, Hill and Abdullah as returners going forward.  I hope we as fans can have the same trust in them as we did Sherels.

I think it has more to do with Priefer no longer being there to ensure that Sherels would be around.  Every year he'd bang the table for him because of his reliability.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Prieffer was also fired, which should tell us more about the general state of the ST unit. We need more from the group, and while Sherels was steady, there must be a desire to get more from the position. 

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Prieffer was also fired, which should tell us more about the general state of the ST unit. We need more from the group, and while Sherels was steady, there must be a desire to get more from the position. 

Priefer wasn't fired.  He chose to go to Cleveland.  All indications were that Zimmer was going to bring him back.  In fact, there was an offer sitting on the table.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

With the initial burst of free agency well over, teams are beginning to see their rosters take shape. And with one, two, three or sometimes seven new additions to an NFL roster in the first week of free agency, some players will find themselves on the trading block. Here are five players who could be on the move in the wake of free agency:

TRAE WAYNES, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Nearly a year ago, the Minnesota Vikings exercised Waynes’ fifth-year option, putting them on the books for a $9 million cap hit. While Waynes has been a relatively solid option as a No. 2 cornerback, his salary in combination with rookie Holton Hill’s emergence gives the Vikings an opportunity to shop him around.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-five-players-who-could-be-on-the-move-in-wake-of-free-agency

If the Vikes feel good about Hill, Waynes should be moved. The savings will help get Thielen extended and would help the Vikes add a free agent WR because the depth chart does not look good.

i still wouldn't do for less than a second round pick. 3 top 60 picks would definitely help in finding two IOL and a TE or DT.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

With the initial surge of free agency over, and no one left worth any type of big dollars, it would take a sizeable offer for me to be willing to move Waynes.

Right, but there are several depth signings that need to happen. We don't have a third WR, we probably need a backup QB, what happens with Tom Johnson or backup safety (since we lost 2). There are spots that need to be filled that will cost money and I'm sure a potential playoff team may not want to lean on late round or undrafted FAs for those spots. 

Buy I do agree,  don't give Waynes away. I'd still rather release Rudolph if there is a need for more cap space and the offer is less than a mid second. 

If the cap is an issue, Waynes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rudolph, IMO. I know who I'd cut.

That said, if you can get a great pick for Waynes, and you believe in Hill, Rhodes (health), and Hughes, you have to seriously consider trading Waynes. But, at this point, I hold onto him until the draft. I'm not trading him to sign a bunch of bad FAs as backups. I'm only trading him if there is a player I really believe in and want in late round 1, early round 2. Preferably a DL or OL.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

If the cap is an issue, Waynes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rudolph, IMO. I know who I'd cut.

That said, if you can get a great pick for Waynes, and you believe in Hill, Rhodes (health), and Hughes, you have to seriously consider trading Waynes. But, at this point, I hold onto him until the draft. I'm not trading him to sign a bunch of bad FAs as backups. I'm only trading him if there is a player I really believe in and want in late round 1, early round 2. Preferably a DL or OL.  

This is where I am at also, us the pick to be able to move around and have some flexability in the draft.

the extra cap room would be able to be used for signing some top UDFA like we have been doing for the depth purposes.