Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Wes Welker was a slot only guy. Same with Amendola and Agholor. Why can't Beebe do it too?

Thielen works best out of the slot, I think. It would be nice for him not to have to spend all his snaps outside. If you have a slot only guy, I think that might hinder him a bit. Could be completely wrong tho. Certainly wouldn't be unhappy with Welker numbers...

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Given Kubiak's presence, I can see the new TE, Smith, playing from the slot.

I think people need to move past the traditional 3 WRs way of thinking. I just don't think that we'll see the No. 3 WR be hugely involved in the offense. Not only because of our current roster construction led by Diggs and Thielen, but the historical numbers back them up.

After the top two guys, I think the rest of the pass-catchers will be on a pretty even playing field.

A few numbers.....

From 1995-2015 under Kubiak, over half of the total team targets went to the WR position. Of those, the top two WRs get about 80% of the WR targets on average.

The average number of total targets in the Kubiak offense is 525 (on average there are 15 throw-aways per year - no receiver is targeted on a throw-away). So if we have 525 targets next season and we have an "average year" for a Kubiak offense we will have this breakdown in terms of targets by position group

WRs - 289 targets (WR1-2 231 targets, WR3-6 58 targets)
RBs - 79 targets
TEs - 120 targets
FBs - 37 targets

https://www.milehighreport.com/2016/6/2/11827692/the-kubiak-offense

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Klomp said:

I think people need to move past the traditional 3 WRs way of thinking.

Yep, that is what I was getting at when I mentioned the TE playing from the slot. Kubiak offenses have shown that tendency.

And yeah, he uses the backs in the passing game a fair amount too. They might come out of the backfield or we might see a back split out. Kubiak's offense values positional versatility.

Jordan was surprised with the news during a team meeting on Wednesday morning at Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center where Head Coach Mike Zimmer invited Vikings Chief Operating Officer Kevin Warren and Jordan to speak to the team, and Warren surprised Jordan with the news.

Warren explained that he had admired Jordan since their days of growing up in the same church in Phoenix, Arizona. Jordan was three years ahead of Warren and was a senior at Brown when Warren was a freshman at Pennsylvania.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-steve-jordan-named-ring-of-honor-selection

On Tuesday, we posted some of the details regarding tight end Kyle Rudolph‘s new four-year extension with the Vikings. One detail that wasn’t available at the time relates to the cap savings generated by the new deal.

According to Field Yates of ESPN.com, that cap savings will be $4.175 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/12/kyle-rudolph-extension-creates-4-175-million-in-cap-space-for-vikings/

28 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I still expect them to try to get deals done with Ant Harris and Stephen Weatherly this offseason.

This would be a smart move. The depth behind these two players isn't particularly strong and if the Vikes can get a friendly deal, I'd pull the trigger. 

DE could be an issue if Weatherly isn't resigned and Griffen continues to decline.

Im less concerned about Safety. Seems like Zimmer doesn't have an issue getting the most out of that spot, regardless of who is back there. I don't think he's really had bad Safety play. He turned Reggie Nelsons career around after busting in Jacksonville. Iloka was a long shot but had a solid career in Cincinnati. Sendejo and Harris were both undrafted and Zimmer got these two playing at a respectable level. 

I wouldn't break the bank for Harris. I could see one of Waynes or Alexander being more of a prority but that decision is difficult right now until we see more of Hill, Hughes and Boyd.

Edited by vikingsrule

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Harris has played well, but I’m not sure I see him getting any more than what Sendejo got a couple of years ago. 

Don't really see Weatherly breaking the bank either. 

I think Harris will get a better deal than Sendejo because his ceiling is higher.  Weatherly certainly won't break the bank, but he'll probably get a decent bridge deal to last until he takes over for Everson full-time.