Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think Harris will get a better deal than Sendejo because his ceiling is higher.  Weatherly certainly won't break the bank, but he'll probably get a decent bridge deal to last until he takes over for Everson full-time.  

Many thought MN overpaid for Griffen when he overtook Allen. I wonder if the same will be said in regards to Weatherly if he's starting in 2020.

• Like 1

Speaking of Morgan, where exactly does he figure into the TE picture? He made some good plays last year, and I think we have to hold on to him for a while since Rudolph has only one or two more productive years left (if that) and we don't know what we have in Smith yet. 

I think they’ll keep 4 tight ends, including Morgan (and Conklin). If they’re playing a lot of 2 TE sets, they’ll want to have more than one backup.

There probably aren’t a lot of snaps for Morgan on offense, if Rudy and Irv are healthy. He might be able to get some work as a lead blocker (FB / H-back), or as an in-line TE in 3 TE sets (which they may use occasionally). 

I think they’ll give Conklin first chance to be TE3, since he’s a better receiving target downfield (Smith’s role) and can also play inline as a blocker.

He does play some special teams a little but he might end up as a healthy scratch some weeks. 

Morgan’s going into the last year on his rookie contract. I don’t expect him to get an extension. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

The Vikings have become one of the few teams to push the envelope in cash and cap space in pursuit of a Super Bowl win. And the envelope-pushing will continue beyond 2019.

Via Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Vikings have $211,638,000 in cap charges for 2020. Unless the salary cap skyrockets from $188.2 million this year by more than $23 million next year, the Vikings will have to trim layers of fat.

The prime candidates whose contracts for 2020 won’t be prime rib for the Vikings include tackle Riley Reiff, defensive end Everson Griffen, defensive tackle Linval Joseph, and cornerback Xavier Rhodes. As Goessling points out, each will be at least 30 next year, and each will have cap numbers of at least $12.9 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/15/vikings-facing-cap-issues-in-2020-too/

I've fully anticipated that this will be Everson's last year as a Viking, unless he's willing to cut his salary significantly.  All of the other options mentioned all have severe drops in their dead money, so they all could be ripe for restructuring.  I think if any are likely to be cut though, it would be Reiff.  

Don’t think there’s any way they cut Reiff, unless Udoh or somehow Collins looks like future starter material. They’d be down to O’Neill as their only legitimate starter at tackle. 

Joseph and Rhodes are much more likely cap casualties. They may be able to get Linval to renegotiate for another year or two at lower pay. I think Rhodes is likely gone no later than 2021 given his aging curve, and I think they’re quite likely to move on from him next year in order to be able to keep Waynes and/or Alexander. 

38 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Don’t think there’s any way they cut Reiff, unless Udoh or somehow Collins looks like future starter material. They’d be down to O’Neill as their only legitimate starter at tackle. 

Joseph and Rhodes are much more likely cap casualties. They may be able to get Linval to renegotiate for another year or two at lower pay. I think Rhodes is likely gone no later than 2021 given his aging curve, and I think they’re quite likely to move on from him next year in order to be able to keep Waynes and/or Alexander. 

While I don't think it's likely in the big picture, I'm not sure Reiff may be as amenable to a salary reduction (granted, I know nothing about his personality), which would precipitate him being the most likely to be cut.  They could also potentially draft his replacement next year in the 1st round, which would make it even more likely. 

As far as Linval, I think there's no way they would cut Linval, but it is likely that they would restructure him.  And as far as Xavier, yes, that is contingent on what's done with Waynes, but in my scenario, I was betting that they're letting Waynes walk.  I personally would prefer that they unload Xavier and extend Waynes, but I don't think they're going to do that.    

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I've fully anticipated that this will be Everson's last year as a Viking, unless he's willing to cut his salary significantly.  All of the other options mentioned all have severe drops in their dead money, so they all could be ripe for restructuring.  I think if any are likely to be cut though, it would be Reiff.  

Weatherly may get a new deal which will certainly offset most of Griffen's savings. 

50 minutes ago, Krauser said:

It would be tough to potentially lose Rhodes and Waynes in the same offseason. 

While I don't think it's likely in the big picture, I'm not sure Reiff may be as amenable to a salary reduction (granted, I know nothing about his personality), which would precipitate him being the most likely to be cut.  They could also potentially draft his replacement next year in the 1st round, which would make it even more likely. 

They're not going to go into the draft without a left tackle, and be forced to draft one who'd have to start as a rookie.

Why would Reiff take a pay cut? He's a starting NFL left tackle, not a great player but good enough. He's paid what's he's worth. Unless he falls off considerably this year or gets injured, he'll be worth keeping next year on his current deal. 

As far as Linval, I think there's no way they would cut Linval, but it is likely that they would restructure him.

They do have Shamar and Jaleel who can both play nose tackle. If one of the young 3-techs steps up (Jalyn, Herc) or if Armon Watts does anything, the DT depth chart will look pretty good even without Linval. 

And as far as Xavier, yes, that is contingent on what's done with Waynes, but in my scenario, I was betting that they're letting Waynes walk.  I personally would prefer that they unload Xavier and extend Waynes, but I don't think they're going to do that.    

Why not? Waynes was selected by Zimmer, unlike Rhodes. He's 3 years younger. He'll be cheaper. He played better last year. 

3 hours ago, Krauser said:

They're not going to go into the draft without a left tackle, and be forced to draft one who'd have to start as a rookie.

Amen. If the team cuts Reiff they would have to have a plan for the position other than the draft. That said, they could find a cheaper player in free agency. The problem is, that player wouldn't likely be better than Reiff.

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Amen. If the team cuts Reiff they would have to have a plan for the position other than the draft. That said, they could find a cheaper player in free agency. The problem is, that player wouldn't likely be better than Reiff.

If they are anticipated to be $30 million over the cap, there will be gaping holes on the roster. I wouldn't count on free agency if it's going to take deep cuts to get to 0. Reiff is a prime candidate to be released and I'm not sure it matters if a players replacement is on the roster. If there is a $30 million solve.

I'd anticipate O'Neill moving over to LT and addressing RT in the draft, or bring back Rashod Hill to play RT.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

If they are anticipated to be $30 million over the cap, there will be gaping holes on the roster. I wouldn't count on free agency if it's going to take deep cuts to get to 0.

It's $23M not $30M.

The cap will go up by at least $10M. Projections are for ~$204M.

One way (contract voids) or another (he's released or renegotiated for much cheaper) Griffen's contract will be gone, saving most or all of $13.9M. 

Those 2 events alone would bring them under the cap and allow them to sign rookies. 

If Cousins plays well, they can extend him in such a way as to lower his 2020 cap hit. They won't go into 2020 with him on his current deal unless they're moving on from him in 2021, in which case the 2020 cap situation is easy (they can push money to 2021 since they won't have an expensive veteran QB that year). 

Beyond that, I expect Linval Joseph to be renegotiated, or maybe released, assuming Jaleel Johnson develops as hoped in his 3rd year and Shamar Stephen stays healthy. 

I expect Rhodes to be released or renegotiated, unless he bounces back to Pro Bowl form. I don't think that's likely -- I think he'll start to lose snaps to Hughes by the end of the year.  I doubt the Vikings will let Waynes and Alexander leave in favor of retaining a declining, aging Rhodes. 

There's a chance they will re-extend Smith this year in a way that will lower his 2020 cap hit, which would open up space for Harris and Weatherly to be extended.

Reiff has lived up to his contract. They don't have a viable replacement for him aside from moving O'Neill to the left (which just creates a similarly bad situation at RT). Hill is unlikely to be back next year. Unless Reiff drops off dramatically this year, I think he'll be back in 2020 on his current deal. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 7

On 6/4/2019 at 8:36 AM, swede700 said:

I saw this last night on Twitter...I'm so happy for Warren.  It's certainly an out of the box hire, because I'm not sure anyone could have possibly anticipated it, but he's a good man and he's a smart man, and has been a lot of the force behind the direction of the Vikings organization as a whole.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/03/report-kevin-warren-to-become-big-10-commissioner/

A great point I just read on a Gophers board....

Kevin Warren was a driving force behind US Bank Stadium. Minneapolis to host B1G Football Championship confirmed.

Edited by Klomp