Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

14 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I hope Kris Boyd takes this opportunity and flies with it.

CB will probably be a need again next year though..

Either way, it probably will be with Rhodes being 30 and Waynes and potentially Alexander being gone.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

Give me Ameer over this guy but will see what he can do.  Abernathy is no big loss.

In the return game Ameer, Chad Beebe, Mike Hughes, Jalen Myrick but really Hughes I would not want returning kicks but he could, Myrick maybe but he might not even make the roster.  Punt return is either Ameer or Beebe and that is about it honestly.  Just on that alone Ameer and Beebe should make the roster with no Marcus Sherels around.  Odd they did not have more of a plan in place for the next return guy and who that will be.  

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Give me Ameer over this guy but will see what he can do.  Abernathy is no big loss.

In the return game Ameer, Chad Beebe, Mike Hughes, Jalen Myrick but really Hughes I would not want returning kicks but he could, Myrick maybe but he might not even make the roster.  Punt return is either Ameer or Beebe and that is about it honestly.  Just on that alone Ameer and Beebe should make the roster with no Marcus Sherels around.  Odd they did not have more of a plan in place for the next return guy and who that will be.  

He was cut way back on April 12th.

20 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

He was cut way back on April 12th.

Oh he is still listed on the ESPN.com Vikings roster.  Then they are even more desperate in the return game which makes more sense signing Henderson assuming he could fit that role.  Still think Ameer and Beebe might be the better options there but will see, Beebe has a ton of potential as a slot WR I think as well, has great feet and quickness.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, swede700 said:

And probably was never going to really be a threat to get either return job in the first place.  

You watch him play much in college?  He could have got a kick return job and was good at that in college, not to mention his 4.28 speed which helps greatly.  Probably not a punt return man does not have the change of direction make you miss ability but he has kick return ability.  

To say the Vikings return positions is not an issue, at this moment yes it is an issue and having Diggs do it is not really an option, same with Hughes they play too key of positions to do it but will see.  Maybe Diggs will return punts and Hughes do some kick returning, I doubt it though but will find out.  Henderson was signed basically just for this reason arguably.  

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You watch him play much in college?  He could have got a kick return job and was good at that in college, not to mention his 4.28 speed which helps greatly.  Probably not a punt return man does not have the change of direction make you miss ability but he has kick return ability.  

To say the Vikings return positions is not an issue, at this moment yes it is an issue and having Diggs do it is not really an option, same with Hughes they play too key of positions to do it but will see.  Maybe Diggs will return punts and Hughes do some kick returning, I doubt it though but will find out.  Henderson was signed basically just for this reason arguably.  

Yes, I did.  And even so, that doesn't mean as much at the pro level.  Marcus Sherels did it a little in college, but wasn't the primary one at either position for more than 1 year and yet he made his entire NFL career out of it.  Having return ability gets you in the door, but doesn't mean you'll stay there, unless you have other abilities.  Sherels could do more than just return, as he was one of the best special teams players period.  I'm not sure Myrick can do the same...and it doesn't appear that anyone else thinks so either, as he hasn't been signed anywhere since April.    

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yes, I did.  And even so, that doesn't mean as much at the pro level.  Marcus Sherels did it a little in college, but wasn't the primary one at either position for more than 1 year and yet he made his entire NFL career out of it.  Having return ability gets you in the door, but doesn't mean you'll stay there, unless you have other abilities.  Sherels could do more than just return, as he was one of the best special teams players period.  I'm not sure Myrick can do the same...and it doesn't appear that anyone else thinks so either, as he hasn't been signed anywhere since April.    

I agree one does have to do more than just return, Sherels was great on special teams and could run down punts quite well as a gunner.  Sherels stuck on as a punt return man because he was smart, could make people miss but more importantly he caught the football consistently.  In terms of being a super dangerous return man he was never that and I would have liked to see a more dynamic player back there but at least he was consistent.   As a corner in college Sherels had way better ball skills and feet than Myrick did.  Myrick with that speed had more physical ability but not the football intelligence.  

I am not comparing Myrick to Sherels, I did not know Myrick was cut thus I said he would have been an option as a return man and mostly kick return.  They had Myrick in for awhile on the practice squad and possibly he does not have that skills they want as a return man sure.  Possibly he got injured and lost some of his speed, Zedrick Woods just retired before camp because of an injury and he ran the fastest combine 40 this past few months, never was much of a player on Ole Miss though.

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Beebe will more than likely be the punt returner. 

And kick returner? Who cares. It’s a largely unnecessary role with the current rules, and there’s absolutely zero point in having a kick returner who can’t offer any other role. 

I agree, but there is also zero point to having a starting WR and one of the players on the team risk injury as a punt returner or have a potentially starting corner as a kick return man.  So you need someone else and clearly Myrick is not that guy, hopefully Beebe will be that guy. 

But yes with the rules currently both positions are becoming less and less important so maybe in the end it does not really matter.  I thought it was cool back 10-15 years ago when Hester actually changed games based on his return skills, much less the great Deion Sanders that is fun to watch, Brian Mitchell, Jermaine Lewis, Eric Metcalf, Desmond Howard.  It is very fun to watch a great return man I think but now a days with the rules it is not really that possible, also helps the punters do that rugby punt which changes everything and makes it a lot harder to return anything.

Advanced issues found

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, but there is also zero point to having a starting WR and one of the players on the team risk injury as a punt returner or have a potentially starting corner as a kick return man.  So you need someone else and clearly Myrick is not that guy, hopefully Beebe will be that guy. 

But yes with the rules currently both positions are becoming less and less important so maybe in the end it does not really matter.  I thought it was cool back 10-15 years ago when Hester actually changed games based on his return skills, much less the great Deion Sanders that is fun to watch, Brian Mitchell, Jermaine Lewis, Eric Metcalf, Desmond Howard.  It is very fun to watch a great return man I think but now a days with the rules it is not really that possible, also helps the punters do that rugby punt which changes everything and makes it a lot harder to return anything.

You were fine with apparently one of the best CBs in the NFL returning punts (Deion), but don't want Beebe or Hughes returning kicks/punts?

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

You were fine with apparently one of the best CBs in the NFL returning punts (Deion), but don't want Beebe or Hughes returning kicks/punts?

The way I have read his posts it looks to me like he is very much fine with Beebe returning punts. More than fine, really.