Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

On Tuesday, the Eagles waived veteran safety Andrew Sendejo. 

His one-year contract paid a $270,000 signing bonus, a workout bonus of $100,00, and a base salary of $970,000. Because the trade deadline has passed, Sendejo will be subject to waivers. If he clears waivers, he’ll be a free agent — and he’ll be entitled to collect the balance of his salary ($456,000) as termination pay.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/05/eagles-waive-veteran-safety-andrew-sendejo/

so what will we be paying him?

25 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

His one-year contract paid a $270,000 signing bonus, a workout bonus of $100,00, and a base salary of $970,000. Because the trade deadline has passed, Sendejo will be subject to waivers. If he clears waivers, he’ll be a free agent — and he’ll be entitled to collect the balance of his salary ($456,000) as termination pay.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/05/eagles-waive-veteran-safety-andrew-sendejo/

That article makes it sound as though the Vikings will be responsible for the remaining balance of his salary, $456K. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

I agree that the Vikings will owe Sendejo the balance of his salary if they keep him for the rest of the season. More specifically, they'll owe him 1/17th of his annual base salary for each week they have him on the roster. It does seem likely they'll keep him for the remainder of the year.

It will be interesting to see what this does for the compensatory pick. Sendejo signed a qualifying contract and is still signed to that contract. But, now he is under contract with the Vikings. It is not clear how the compensatory formula handles that. My guess would be that he won't count. If it was another team that claimed him it would more likely have him still counting. If the formula only considers the team that signed him and not the team that he is on this week the Vikings might get lucky.

It is worth noting that when a compensatory free agent has signed with one team and then been traded to another team he still counted as a qualifying loss for the team that lost him since he was still signed to his contract. Sendejo is also still under the contract he signed in the offseason. The traded player still counted as a net player gain for the team that originally signed them and then traded them away. Would waiver claims be treated the same as trades? Maybe. We'll see when compensatory picks are announced.

But it claiming Sendejo causes him to still count as a qualifying loss for the Vikings and a qualifying gain for the Eagles, it is a great move. Also, if keeping him bound to the contract he signed through the week was the main goal it is possible the Vikings may just pay him for this week and then release him. I doubt that though because I think they are more than happy to have Sendejo at that salary for depth. He is better depth for them than Epps.

Edited by Cearbhall

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

But it claiming Sendejo causes him to still count as a qualifying loss for the Vikings and a qualifying gain for the Eagles, it is a great move. Also, if keeping him bound to the contract he signed through the week was the main goal it is possible the Vikings may just pay him for this week and then release him.

09-roll-safe.w700.h700.jpg

I don't recall Epps playing much...despite the potential savings...I have to imagine that Epps couldn't be a worse tackler than Sendejo.  Defenses really don't need human missiles anymore.

I can’t say it’s that significant of a loss, to be honest. Joseph has just been an average player for about two years now. 

The group just held Zeke Elliott to under 50 yards on 20 carries. I think they’ll be ok on run defense. And Joseph doesn’t exactly bring much to the pass rush. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1