Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

40 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Have lived in Minnesota my entire life. Will need to winter somewhere else when I retire. The snow and cold are brutal. 

I just moved to Vegas for that very reason. 36 years of MN and North Dakota winters finally broke me. Just can’t do it anymore. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

We also moved once the kids were out of high school. Midwest schools can't be matched........Portland is great. So great we bought a house, after I swore I would never own another house.

Both of mine are out of HS now, but probably won't move until retirement (unless I get a better job elsewhere)...and one thing we've talked about is going to Oregon.  I only went to Portland once, but I really liked it when I was out there.  

Living in Chicago, I really miss the Minnesota winters. Chicago winters are more damp and seem to drag on forever, and you only get about a day of nice white snow before the city stains it. We spent Thanksgiving up in Burnett County WI, and my son has never spent more time outside in the snow than he did on this trip. We built snowmen, had a snowball fight, went sledding, and I taught him how to use a hydraulic log splitter. We split and stacked probably 2 face cords of wood before he got tired. Winter up north in the country is just better.

• Like 3

Not sure where else to put this, but the former first round disappointment that Zimmer cut at the beginning of the season to make way for an untested 7th round pick, well he's back and happens to be the leading receiver for the Vikings in two of the last four games.

First there was Montana to Rice.

Manning to Harrison.

Warner to Fitzgerald.

Now there's Cousins to TREADWELL!!!   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, since72 said:

Not sure where else to put this, but the former first round disappointment that Zimmer cut at the beginning of the season to make way for an untested 7th round pick, well he's back and happens to be the leading receiver for the Vikings in two of the last four games.

First there was Montana to Rice.

Manning to Harrison.

Warner to Fitzgerald.

Now there's Cousins to TREADWELL!!!   

Keeping the rookie seems to be paying off also

2 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Have lived in Minnesota my entire life. Will need to winter somewhere else when I retire. The snow and cold are brutal. 

Since Global warming really started to kick in in the 1980s, Winters in Winnipeg have been pretty mild compared to the 1940s, when I was growing up. Sometimes we kept our backyard ice rink going into May.  I'd expect it to be downright tropical in The Twin Cities! xD

22 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

Since Global warming really started to kick in in the 1980s, Winters in Winnipeg have been pretty mild compared to the 1940s, when I was growing up. Sometimes we kept our backyard ice rink going into May.  I'd expect it to be downright tropical in The Twin Cities! xD

Minnesota seemed to miss the memo about global warming. It was a cool summer and they that this winter is going to be frigid. We'll see though

55 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Both of mine are out of HS now, but probably won't move until retirement (unless I get a better job elsewhere)...and one thing we've talked about is going to Oregon.  I only went to Portland once, but I really liked it when I was out there.  

Let me know if you ever have questions, or heck, just come visit.....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Minnesota seemed to miss the memo about global warming. It was a cool summer and they that this winter is going to be frigid. We'll see though

I think that memo has changed every decade so I am not sure what I should believe. Last winter I do recall several school closures due to severely cold weather, seemed abnormal, though I’m new to this as a parent and have only paid attention to school closures the past couple of years, not counting my time as a student myself praying for winter weather to shut down classes. I don’t mind a frigid winter that dries up all the moisture in the air. I hate the winter commute more than anything, so anything to avoid heavy snowfall.

40 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think that memo has changed every decade so I am not sure what I should believe. Last winter I do recall several school closures due to severely cold weather, seemed abnormal, though I’m new to this as a parent and have only paid attention to school closures the past couple of years, not counting my time as a student myself praying for winter weather to shut down classes. I don’t mind a frigid winter that dries up all the moisture in the air. I hate the winter commute more than anything, so anything to avoid heavy snowfall.

I dont think the polar vortex is normal

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

The one time that I was in Portland they seemed to have a severe homelessness problem. There were people sleeping in the doorways to most of the businesses that November. And that wasn't all the long ago, maybe five years.

All this talk about people wanting to be in MN in the winter only makes me look forward to my trips away from MN next month. To think of how much a spend to leave MN in January and February while other people are wishing to be here. The grass is always greener...

@Robb_K I am confused how you live in three different countries at once. How do you decide which place to sleep each night? How is life over in Europe? I have seriously been considering getting a place in Norway to live at for a year.  But after a year maybe I would just decide to stay. Things are quite expensive in Norway though. I might rather live in one of the countries you live in but I already know some Norwegian and would have to start from scratch learning danish or german -- no small task for a fellow my age.

As far as Treadwell, it has been great to seeing him have a bit more success this year.