Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Another one talking

Well, IF they Wilf's want to move on to a younger, more "contemporary" minded coach, I'd rather stay in house with what we know rather than going out and getting an outside hire. It makes the process that much easier if the players and front office are already on board with someone within the franchise. Not to mention you'd imagine our offense wouldn't change much.

I just worry because JDF was touted as an "offensive genius" and was said to be slated to be a HC after Minnesota and that's looking like it's been put on hold for a while or may not even happen.

Firing Zimmer would be the most disagreeable thing this team has done in my 30 years of fanhood. 

I readily anticipate the all too familiar product the other recent coaches - Mike, Childress for the most part, and Leslie - gave us. 

But if we're going to go any direction, league trend says it should be a young QB/OC mind who can potentially bring in his guy and mimic what the majority of successful teams have done. And we have that guy, if but momentarily, in Kevin. Still don't like it at all.

I don’t understand this Zimmer wagon everyone is hinged on.  What the hell has he done to warrant such unrivaled support?  

A change is necessary. No one knows if that change will be better or worst than Mike Zimmer but the fact that a change needs to happen, is indisputable.  

Especially when we lose on Sunday. 

Edited by Torchezim
  • Like 1

I like Zim as much as the next guy, he's a great coach and has done a tremendous job to help the Vikings get this far. But the guy has 1 playoff win in 6 years with the Vikings. The roster has gotten better each and every year, but we aren't seeing the team progressing any farther. And if your team isn't getting better, than it's getting worse. We've seen coaches like Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay and Doug Pederson all elevating their teams to the next level and they are starting to get the best of Zimmer.

If his team can't even keep it competitive against New Orleans, I'm all for doubling down on Stefanski/Kubiak. Very quietly, the Vikings have become a team that's not leaning on their top 10 defense and they are much more reliant on Kirk winning games. And if good Kirk is needed every week, I think he'd like stability on the his coaching calling plays for the first time in years.

Maybe saying goodbye to Zim would set the Vikings back a bit (and it could be the best thing to ever happen to the Cowboys), but I'd rather the team get aggressive and try to win a Super Bowl than be okay with just making the playoffs every other year.

I'm honestly torn on Zimmer and I understand both sides. 

On one-hand he's like top 5 in wins since being hired in 2014 (Tim Brown on Twitter has a great thread on this in support of Zimmer). On the other hand he's got the 1 playoff win and he's something like 13-28 against teams with a winning record and the team seems to crumble on the biggest stages.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 1:26 AM, Cearbhall said:

I have been a Mike Zimmer supporter, but I would consider a deal offered by the Cowboys. There is a Cowboys blog entry speculating about a trade for Zimmer

What would it take for you to consider moving Zimmer to the Cowboys? The poll in the blog entry asks the highest pick their readers would part with for Zimmer with the choices being a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, or a 5th. They have no options below 5th so presumably anyone that wouldn't trade for him would have picked the 5th round pick option as it most aligned with their feelings.  Most of their fans would give up more than that 5th for Zimmer. But at what point do you do it if you're the Vikings?

If I was the Vikings GM I would look for a second round pick. I am sure those of you looking for Zimmer to be fired would do it for a 7th round pick. Personally, I wouldn't be listening to an offer like that. What do the rest of you think?

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I don't buy it, but it's a talker, nonetheless...

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Another one talking

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Another, local and probably more reliable source

These are all interesting developments/rumblings/rumors. Thank you all for posting these.

Just now, VikeManDan said:

I'm honestly torn on Zimmer and I understand both sides. 

On one-hand he's like top 5 in wins since being hired in 2014 (Tim Brown on Twitter has a great thread on this in support of Zimmer). On the other hand he's got the 1 playoff win and he's something like 13-28 against teams with a winning record and the team seems to crumble on the biggest stages.

I’m with you. Don’t understand the posts acting like it’s indisputable but also frustrated myself. He’s like 6-7 in active coaches win percentage and like top 50 all time on a few sites I’ve searched. Should be showing up better in big games but just aren’t. Frustrating. 

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

If they can't beat good teams, the overall record does not matter to me. I want playoff wins, not not losing to bad teams. 

Easy to say now. Hard to say if we make a few bad hires in a row and become the Browns. It’s not easy to win in the NFL. Probably more likely we make a worse hire than a better hire.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eaganfootball4 said:

Easy to say now. Hard to say if we make a few bad hires in a row and become the Browns. It’s not easy to win in the NFL. Probably more likely we make a worse hire than a better hire.

No. It is how I feel..... I don't care if it is worse. They aren't winning anything I care about now, assuming they lose again, which is the only way he's gone. Not asking anyone to agree, but I care about the post season.....ymmv, of course.

Edited by PrplChilPill
  • Like 1

If there are major changes coming, it is hard for me to imagine the owners sticking with Rick Spielman. It does seem if a change takes place at the GM level it likely will lead to the head coach being replaced. A new GM ought to be casting his net wider than just Stefanski in the head coaching search because he too shouldn't expect to have more than a couple chances to get the right guy and the rest of the pieces of the puzzle needed by that head coach.

• Like 2