Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

37 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As long as it's a reasonable contract (like somewhere in the neighborhood of $10M and not in the Gurley, Bell, Elliott range), I'm okay with it.  But, I'm not sure, that's going to be enough.

That’s an overpay for a player who’s often injured and really was productive only half the year. That contract would be based purely on upside. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

DeVonta Freeman’s deal is the max I’d be willing to shell out to Cook. And that doesn’t even really excite me. 

I think finding a RB capable of replacing Cook wouldn’t be all that difficult. 

Mattison has looked like a very capable runner. He isn’t the threat out of the backfield that Cook is, but teams have regularly manufactured those types of touches with role players. Seems like a huge mistake to entertain an extension at the expense of being able to retain other players.

• Like 2

If they extend Cook, I'm out. I'll no longer have any faith in this FO and coaching staff to go anywhere meaningful, I'll check back in when they're replaced.

Again, if Cook is extended at the number I assume he'll be given, and pretty much anything is too much imo given the current cap situation.

Mattison has looked like a very capable runner. He isn’t the threat out of the backfield that Cook is, but teams have regularly manufactured those types of touches with role players. Seems like a huge mistake to entertain an extension at the expense of being able to retain other players

It's also not unreasonable to expect him to improve. But personally I don't want a bellcow lets get a stable of interchangeable backs and ride the hot hand 49ers style

Edited by Dolmonite26

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

DeVonta Freeman’s deal is the max I’d be willing to shell out to Cook. And that doesn’t even really excite me. 

I think finding a RB capable of replacing Cook wouldn’t be all that difficult. 

I agree.  I think RB is generally the most easily replaceable position on offense.  One of, if not THE easiest anyway.  RBs are everywhere.

Trading Cook would be beneficial for us.  We're in "gather draft picks" mode now imo.  (NOT SEVENTH ROUNDERS, RICK.  The high ones preferably).  I see others suggesting trading Diggs, but unfortunately this is the deepest draft for WR in some time, if not ever.  Diggs wouldn't draw much of a haul I don't think.  Now, if some team doesn't draft one and a star goes down in camp, you can deal him then, but that's pretty unlikely.  

I don't think we really have the means to extend Cook anyway.  And at this point, after seeing how keeping everyone you want puts you in cap purgatory, I would hope Spielman has learned that lesson.  

• Like 1

My personal view on a Cook extension is that it should only happen if he either gives a huge discount, or we move on from Cousins after next year. 

I feel that a Cousins extension is going to be in the $35 million range. With Thielen, Diggs, and Cousins, fitting cook under the cap without damaging the rest of the roster is pretty much impossible. Even if we move on from Everson, Linval, Rudolph, Reiff, Rhodes, and Waynes, we don't have the cap space or draft capital to keep a championship level defense. I think that we've seen that our offense isn't good enough to carry us on its own. We aren't the Greatest Show on Turf. We're a solid offense that can win with a stout defense. Unless we hit on every draft pick and FA acquisition this year, we aren't going to have that caliber of a defense. 

Again, if we want to extend Dalvin and draft Kirk's replacement this year, great. However, I don't see that happening. 

Extending Cook likely lowers his 2020 cap number. It could make sense to lock Cook up for a few years if the team is projecting significant cap increases starting in 2021 and Cook agrees to a moderate contract that keeps most of the money towards the back end where it would hopefully be a smaller percentage of the cap.

That is the best argument I can make in favor of extending Cook. Like others, I am against spending big on a RB. That is doubly true if the Vikings are sticking with the Kubiak offense.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Extending Cook likely lowers his 2020 cap number. It could make sense to lock Cook up for a few years if the team is projecting significant cap increases starting in 2021 and Cook agrees to a moderate contract that keeps most of the money towards the back end where it would hopefully be a smaller percentage of the cap.

That is the best argument I can make in favor of extending Cook. Like others, I am against spending big on a RB. That is doubly true if the Vikings are sticking with the Kubiak offense.

Isn’t Cook’s cap number $2M in 2020? Doesn’t seem like much potential savings there to warrant an extension. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Isn’t Cook’s cap number $2M in 2020? Doesn’t seem like much potential savings there to warrant an extension. 

This is true. Admittedly, I was stretching to come up with a reason to extend him since there wasn't much of that viewpoint in here. Like I said in the post though, I am against it. Just trying to look for reasons the team would do it.

Assuming an extension with Cook gives him much guaranteed money it would be hard to lower his 2020 cap number much, but it could be lowered a few hundred thousand dollars with some extreme accounting.

So yeah, when I said it likely lowers his cap number, the word "likely" for sure wasn't the right word. More accurate would have been to say there is a mathematical possibility that an extension could lower his cap number for 2020.