Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Watch Paton take over for Spielman in 2 or 3 years, and hire Stefanski to replace Zimmer. 

Have any of the Browns retreads been good elsewhere once fired? Besides  Belichick of course. I feel like if you’re fired by Cleveland you’re baaically done as a head coach.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Have any of the Browns retreads been good elsewhere once fired? Besides  Belichick of course. I feel like if you’re fired by Cleveland you’re baaically done as a head coach.

How many of them have been as young as Stefanski? I think that’s more of a factor than simply being hired by Cleveland. 

16 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

You said "good", but Shurmur has been successful as a OC. As HC he was ineffective with the Giants.

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I meant success as a HC in a second stint. Shurmur again failed.

The biggest difference, and the reason I don’t believe Stefanski will fail, is that so many coaches have been hired purely based on their Xs and Os. But it takes a lot more than that to be a successful head coach. Stefanski reminds me of John Harbaugh. A great communicator and organizer.  

The Vikings were plenty represented in the 2020 Pro Bowl, having eight players in the game. Those players were Kirk Cousins, Dalvin Cook, Harrison Smith, C.J. Ham, Xavier Rhodes, Everson Griffen, Danielle Hunter and Eric Kendricks.

A quick rundown:

In his second Pro Bowl game, Cousins led all NFC passers, throwing for 181 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

Running back Dalvin Cook ran three times for 17 yards. Nothing too wild.

Rhodes had four tackles, Kendricks had six and Griffen had one.

Smith had three tackles, and probably had the highlight of the game for the Vikings. He picked off Deshaun Watson at the NFC’s 3-yard line. He returned it 36 yards before lateralling it to big man Fletcher Cox who ran another 61 yards for the touchdown.

Take a look at the play here:

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/26/vikings-recap-in-2020-pro-bowl/

On 1/25/2020 at 8:06 AM, SteelKing728 said:

You said "good", but Shurmur has been successful as a OC. As HC he was ineffective with the Giants.

Don't know why they were in such a hurry to move on from Shurmur.  What did they expect him to do with that roster in two seasons?  The last one with a rookie QB.  Give the guy a little time.

Edited by Hyperborean
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 8:06 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Other than Barkley, who did Shumar have that could make a difference on offense in NY?  The talent gap between the Giants and the rest of the NFC East was pretty stunning this past season, even as the best team in the division went 8-8.

12 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I have no idea if he's a good HC or not, but he's been set up to fail in both spots.

I agree. He's had virtually no chance in either situation.  However, he would have needed to be a miracle worker to ever get a third chance, which is not likely.  I don't blame him for taking the Giants job, because that typically has been a fairly stable organization, up until recently.  Ever since Gettleman came back, it's been a mess.  

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I plan on watching the Pro Bowl later, but did Danielle Hunter not play? He doesn't have any stats.

He played. They didn't tackle instead just put their hands on the guy and stopped him from running. Should just be changed to a flag football game. Would be far more exciting.

• Like 2