Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

19 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Zimmer basically never plays dime. Last time I checked it was like 5 snaps a year, which I think is mostly Hail Marys. Bringing in a 3rd safety as a 6th DB means taking off one of Kendricks or Barr, who aren’t the problem, coveragewise.

Even when he played 3 safeties in nickel with Kearse/Sendejo last year, the 3rd safety was just playing the usual NCB role. As far as I know, Iloka never played that role with the Bengals, and he didn’t play it with the Vikings in his short 2018 stint. He’s not going to be an upgrade from Hughes or Gladney athletically. 

I was speaking more situationally, and it would depend on the team.  I wouldn't want Hughes/Gladney up against a joker type tight end who's been flexed out, and I wasn't speaking specifically about Iloka filling that slot corner role; it could be Harris or Smith.  It could be in base 4-3 looks as well with the safety playing the nickel sam to the speed side of the formation in our quarters coverages.

Signing Iloka would, potentially, allow us more flexibility to matchup personnel that we currently don't have.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Meadors or Beebe would be my guesses

I think it'd be hard to let meadors  go with Illoka not having any practice time,  unless of course they use him as an active practice squad player for the first week.  I think Hercules or Beebe could go to the practice squad 

Packers fan here, I just read on PFT that Harrison Smith is a team captain for the first time ever?

How did this not happen before?

He's always been one the guys I've respected most on the Vikings (at least on the field), have I been wrong to respect him so much if the team didn't respect him enough to make him a captain until now? 

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

Packers fan here, I just read on PFT that Harrison Smith is a team captain for the first time ever?

How did this not happen before?

He's always been one the guys I've respected most on the Vikings (at least on the field), have I been wrong to respect him so much if the team didn't respect him enough to make him a captain until now? 

He didn’t want to wear the C

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RpMc said:

He didn’t want to wear the C

That just seems odd... I can understand not needing to feel validated, but what does an extra little patch do negatively that someone rejects it?

I feel like there is more to this, like an extra responsibility (leading meeting or giving pep speeches or whatever), that he didn't care for. Or something for him to reject it.

I'm sure former Packers WR Jordan Nelson would try to get out of public speaking roles, even though he led in many ways, public speaking sure wasn't going to be one of them.

Perhaps, but I don’t see that as likely. 

i can’t remember our captains giving more interviews, or having more speaking engagements when compared to other players. 

He’s been able to lead without the C which has allowed players such as Everson Griffen and Linval Joseph, older players who’ve been around, to lead with the C. 

Harrison certainly isn’t the most vocal guy, and he does prefer to keep to himself, but with Linval and Everson gone, he’s now definitely one of the elder statesmen, and it might feel more natural for him to wear it now. 

Edited by RpMc

5 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Perhaps, but I don’t see that as likely. 

i can’t remember our captains giving more interviews, or having more speaking engagements when compared to other players. 

He’s been able to lead without the C which has allowed players such as Everson Griffen and Linval Joseph, older players who’ve been around, to lead with the C. 

Harrison certainly isn’t the most vocal guy, and he does prefer to keep to himself, but with Linval and Everson gone, he’s now definitely one of the elder statesmen, and it might feel more natural for him to wear it now. 

I meant behind the scenes team rally speeches, like locking room leading items, or on the some committee. Nothing public different but sometimes behind the scenes.

Packers under HC  Mike McCarthy had a committee of respected guys, that would address issue, either to the coaches or to the players... which didn't get much press, but extra work... o ly huge thing of note, was they suggested releasing CB Damarious Randall, the best CB we had at the time, during mid-season, because he was being such a problem in the locker room. They traded him the next off-season.

If Smith did it just because he wanted the more veteran players to have it, I'd respect him even more.

We don't the circumstances surrounding him being asked...maybe it had been that he was asked to basically replace someone else, and he didn't want to do that.  Linval and Barr were first-time captains in 2018, I imagine that was when he was first asked, but maybe with Xavier in the DB room, he didn't feel like he needed to be a "pseudo" leader in that room, but now that he's the elder statesman in the secondary, he now feels compelled.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

We don't the circumstances surrounding him being asked...maybe it had been that he was asked to basically replace someone else, and he didn't want to do that.  Linval and Barr were first-time captains in 2018, I imagine that was when he was first asked, but maybe with Xavier in the DB room, he didn't feel like he needed to be a "pseudo" leader in that room, but now that he's the elder statesman in the secondary, he now feels compelled.  

Smith would have had more seniority in the DB room than Xavier. Just saying.