Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

I don't think there are many people that put down hope for Pat Elflein before I put down all hope. I found going into last year with him being counted on as a starter was a horrible idea. I really, really didn't like Elflein as a starter. Even given that, I would have never suggested cutting the guy. What is the team gaining at this point? Around a million dollars if some other team claims him, I guess? Is the plan really Dru Samia if Dozier or Cleveland get hurt. He was far more awful than Pat Elflein.

I would think that some team would have given Elflein a couple million dollars next year to serve as their backup. As Mr @SemperFeist mentioned, now the team will not get compensatory considerations for that.

I would have kept Elflein around as a backup this year and for whatever compensatory considerations the team would have received. Sure, it might only be a seventh wound pick. Rick Spielman usually loves seventh round picks.

• Like 1

Any potential compensatory pick would likely be negligible, and would still necessitate that the Vikings not sign any comparable free agent, and Elflein play a requisite number of snaps.  Might be worth more to the team to roll forward the little bit of salary cap relief (roughly $1M) this move creates.

I'm guessing the team was/is trying to do him a solid, and let him see if he can latch on and start somewhere.  While he could likely backup all three interior positions, so can Brett Jones and there likely isn't much of a difference in their, low, level of play.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Our rookies are doing well.

If you could redraft for us, how would it go?

We get to redraft with a half of an NFL season of information about these college players but the other teams all are forced to stay with their same picks? That is a sweet deal!

Otherwise, I am not in favor of a redraft. Jefferson wouldn't be available to the team where they drafted nor will many of the other picks the Vikings made. I think I would rather keep the current group than roll the dice on a redraft.