Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

39 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The offense performs well, the staff gets purged.

As happens in most organizations...but I'm not sure "purged" is the word you intended to use, because that means that they got fired...when in reality they got plucked by other teams...and it really only happened with Shurmur and Stefanski...DeFilippo and Norv got purged because their offenses didn't do well. 

Plus, I don't think "ownership" has anything to do with it. If Zimmer hadn't taken ownership, then DeFilippo would have made it through the year.  Zimmer is like all coaches in that he wants to hire someone who is an expert on the other side of the ball that they are an expert in.  I know you know about Andy Reid, he doesn't necessarily take an active role in the defense, it's why that terrible DC, Bob Sutton, was there so long.  Eventually Andy had to get involved and fire Sutton because he was awful, but Andy clearly didn't show any ownership of the defense for 6 years until he had to.  And then he hired Spagnuolo and is pretty much hands-off with him too.     

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

As happens in most organizations

But the impact is likely less when you have an offensive minded coach. 

If an OC for Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFluer, etc. were to get hired as HC somewhere else, their offense is not likely to get revamped. That’s not really the case for defensive minded head coaches. As we’ve seen under Zimmer, when the offense does well, we see a good amount of change within the offense. 

And while losing a DC may have a similar impact for an offensive minded HC, the reality is that teams just aren’t banging down the door for top defensive minded coaches. A defensive minded coach is likely going to stick around for a few years before they’d be considered for a HC job. 

Hi guys! Love your team - you may not know this, but the Vikings were my adopted team when Houston didn't have a football team. I was a Warren Moon fanboy, so I got very familiar with the Vikings during that time before the Texans replaced the Oilers/Titans.

I'll keep my question brief - is Mike Zimmer on the hot seat?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

At this point, I do not think so. At 1-5 he may have been, but he has done an outstanding job with a young defense this season. They have shown great progress. The only way I see Zimmer not getting another year is if the Vikings lose their last four, which they are already 1 loss into that scenario. Even then, I have my doubts that Spielman would pull the plug. Really the only way that I see Zimmer being replaced is if Wilf pulls the plug on Spielman. That seems quite unlikely given the draft Spielman just brought in.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

At this point, I do not think so. At 1-5 he may have been, but he has done an outstanding job with a young defense this season. They have shown great progress. The only way I see Zimmer not getting another year is if the Vikings lose their last four, which they are already 1 loss into that scenario. Even then, I have my doubts that Spielman would pull the plug. Really the only way that I see Zimmer being replaced is if Wilf pulls the plug on Spielman. That seems quite unlikely given the draft Spielman just brought in.

Great information, thanks. The topic came up in General on whether or not Zimmer is on the hot seat - as someone who is waiting for a new HC, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Zimmer in that discussion.

The clubhouse favorite is KC OC Eric Bienemy, San Francisco DC Robert Selah is also in the mix and Seattle OC Brian Schottenheimer has also been mentioned (which actually has me worried) but Zimmer would be a high priority option if he became available...

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Great information, thanks. The topic came up in General on whether or not Zimmer is on the hot seat - as someone who is waiting for a new HC, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Zimmer in that discussion.

The clubhouse favorite is KC OC Eric Bienemy, San Francisco DC Robert Selah is also in the mix and Seattle OC Brian Schottenheimer has also been mentioned (which actually has me worried) but Zimmer would be a high priority option if he became available...

I personally think Bieniemy ends up in Atlanta, but I'll be interested in seeing what happens in Houston.  They certainly need someone who can give Watson what he needs.  

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I personally think Bieniemy ends up in Atlanta, but I'll be interested in seeing what happens in Houston.  They certainly need someone who can give Watson what he needs.  

Houston should be doing everything possible to get Bieniemy to pair with Watson. But for some reason he’s not a guy that I see the McNairs hiring. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

Hi guys! Love your team - you may not know this, but the Vikings were my adopted team when Houston didn't have a football team. I was a Warren Moon fanboy, so I got very familiar with the Vikings during that time before the Texans replaced the Oilers/Titans.

I think he may have been if the season had gone completely in the tank after our 1-5 start, but I think he may have bought himself some time with the resurgence over the last 6 weeks.  He has actually done a pretty good job when you consider all the players we are missing on the defensive side of the ball.  My guess is that Zimmer is here at least through 2021, and might be available after 2022 if we have another even year bad season. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ET80 said:

No ( I do wish we had a offensive HC because it's easier to find a DC to run a defense and not have philosophy problems)  

Just got a new contract

The team fought back from being 1-5 with a young roster and his 2 best DL did not playing a single down

Wilf has model the Vikings after his home team the Giants. Mara believe in staying the course as long the HC hasn't lost the team or embarrassing the organization   

Also, I don't believe Wilf want to give up good coach  (Zimmer) and HC search during a Pandemic with a shaky Hiring pool. Daboll, Bieniemy, Saleh, Brady are the top choices but if miss on them you looking at Titans OC, Bowels, Pack OC. Wilfs possibly was going to give Zim another year even if the team didn't turn around

• Like 1

If the standings hold as is, here are the Vikings opponents in 2021:

Home:  Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, LA Rams, Seattle, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, NY Giants (or Dallas)

Road:  Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Arizona, San Francisco, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Atlanta (or Carolina)

and if there is a 17th game: Denver Broncos (or LA Chargers)