Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

The Minnesota Vikings hired a new wide receivers coach on Thursday that was adored by former Viking star Stefon Diggs in his time at Maryland.

Jacksonville Jaguars wide receivers coach Keenan McCardell is moving on to the same position with the Vikings, per NFL sources, Jaguars columnist Eugene Frenette reported. McCardell, who coached at Maryland when Diggs came to the Terrapins as a top-two recruit at wide receiver in the country, helped polish Diggs’ route running in college — a service that earned McCardell recognition as the best non-NFL coach Diggs had through his early career.

Diggs: "Coach McCardell was the best coach I’ve ever had, because he taught me how to play receiver. He taught me the smallest details on running routes. He taught me suddenness, he taught me breaks. He didn’t teach me how to catch; he said, ‘We’re going to work on getting you open and creating separation,’ because everybody wants separation. I don’t care you are, I don’t care what quarterback you are, I don’t care what level you’re at, everybody wants to see separation. He taught me how to get open, essentially, and that’s why I hold him to such a high standard. He saw me as a raw talent: I can run, I’ve got good speed, I’m quick, but let’s tailor that into something that will take you farther."

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/stefon-diggs-keenan-mccardell-justin-jefferson/?fbclid=IwAR2BesJFKgJKD2JBfS5PAwaMf-DcWPBHa4YJzNqt-os8YZ-6NwCpYtsNpNg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I would be a fan of that. I think the nepotism needs to stop.

It's mostly worked for Kyle Shanahan, Brian Schottenheimer, Pat Shurmur (uncle was Fritz Shurmur), Mike Shula, Brian Callahan, Joe Lombardi (grandson of Vince), and Joe Barry (whose father in law is Rod Marinelli and his dad was also a coach)...not to mention the brother tandems of the Ryans, the LeFleurs, and the Grudens...and Belichick has 2 of his sons on staff and Andy Reid also has his son on staff.

I'm not sure why people are so concerned about nepotism.  If the coach is good on his own, it doesn't really matter...and nothing has led me to believe thus far that Adam can't do the job.  One season with a weird offseason with several important injuries on the defensive staff and younger players everywhere else on it, isn't going to convince me otherwise.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's mostly worked for Kyle Shanahan, Brian Schottenheimer, Pat Shurmur (uncle was Fritz Shurmur), Mike Shula, Brian Callahan, Joe Lombardi (grandson of Vince), and Joe Barry (whose father in law is Rod Marinelli and his dad was also a coach)...not to mention the brother tandems of the Ryans, the LeFleurs, and the Grudens...and Belichick has 2 of his sons on staff and Andy Reid also has his son on staff.

I'm not sure why people are so concerned about nepotism.  If the coach is good on his own, it doesn't really matter...and nothing has led me to believe thus far that Adam can't do the job.  One season with a weird offseason with several important injuries on the defensive staff and younger players everywhere else on it, isn't going to convince me otherwise.    

Perhaps.  But, when a head coach hires a family member, it limits the ability to know the "field," plus if the head coaches son is the offensive line coach...let's say...and he works under an OC who is not his father, it muddles up accountability.  How can the OC recommend to the HC that the OLC be fired when the OLC is the HC's son?  That's the problem with nepotism in the NFL and in the real world.

47 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Perhaps.  But, when a head coach hires a family member, it limits the ability to know the "field," plus if the head coaches son is the offensive line coach...let's say...and he works under an OC who is not his father, it muddles up accountability.  How can the OC recommend to the HC that the OLC be fired when the OLC is the HC's son?  That's the problem with nepotism in the NFL and in the real world.

That's a fair point and it certainly is a concern.  We haven't really had that situation outside of when George Edwards was the DC and was the in-between Mike and Adam.  But, you also have the possibility that the son is going to want to do even better than he normally would because he's working for his parent.  It just depends upon the situation...I've seen both IRL and on the football field.  Really it comes down to trust in the integrity of the father and the son.  I personally think Mike would have the integrity to tell his son basically to move on if he weren't doing the job.  He wouldn't "fire" him, per se, but tell him that it's probably best for him to sprout his own wings. It's not like Adam didn't do that before coming here, as he got his start in both NO and KC.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I'm just not a fan of co-coordinators.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I'm just not a fan of co-coordinators.

I understand that completely.  I think it's odd...I personally think he should just have picked one of them and rolled with it, even if the operation would have really been the same.  But, with Andre Patterson being 60 yrs old, he may not have had much longer to have the opportunity of being an actual DC, so this was the best shot to at least get the title.  I'm not sure that much had probably changed, outside of the additional time that was needed to develop an actual game-plan.  They both basically have a symbiotic relationship with the HC, so they know how it needs to be run to make him happy, so that probably doesn't take a whole lot of time.