Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

To me, it never sounded like something that Danielle would have ever said, but it was likely just his agent floating it out there.  It doesn't change my opinion, however, that they'll re-work his contract after the 2021 season if she shows that he's fully recovered and back to his dominating ways.  Either way, he has no leverage really outside of suggesting that he won't play since he still has 3 years left on his deal. 

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

To me, it never sounded like something that Danielle would have ever said, but it was likely just his agent floating it out there.  It doesn't change my opinion, however, that they'll re-work his contract after the 2021 season if she shows that he's fully recovered and back to his dominating ways.  Either way, he has no leverage really outside of suggesting that he won't play since he still has 3 years left on his deal. 

I agree. I fully expect a rework of the deal in the future.

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Curious to see what this means for Odenigbo. 

My initial guess is not much impact, although it certainly could mean that, with no additional moves, he'd have to fight Weatherly for the starting job opposite Hunter.  Either way, they'd both play significant snaps in a rotation.  It could also free up Odenigbo to move inside on 3rd down, which is where he is most effective.  

• Like 1

Just now, swede700 said:

My initial guess is not much impact, although it certainly could mean that, with no additional moves, he'd have to fight Weatherly for the starting job opposite Hunter.  Either way, they'd both play significant snaps in a rotation.  It could also free up Odenigbo to move inside on 3rd down, which is where he is most effective.  

I’d agree with you on that. 

I like the move to bring back Weatherly. Should give Wonnum some good competition at RE. Thought he always performed well against the run and seemed poised to start. What happened in Carolina?

Refeshing to hear How ecstatic he is to return to the Vikes and the contract looks pretty friendly to the Vikes for a potential starter.

31 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Weatherly is pretty solid vs the run. This was a predictable move and doesn't hurt us for comp picks in 2022. No complaints here.

I think we move on from Odenigbo but still look to improve the DE position further. 

I’d still bring Odenigbo back. I don’t think he’s best as DE, he seemed to do really well in that pass rushing 3T role. Hunter can be the LE and Weatherly and Wonnum can play RE.

Iirc, Odenigbo was to be a restricted free agent. I don't think the costs for the various levels the Vikings can offer to him have yet been determined, but there must be a fairly good idea now that there is a good idea of what the cap is going to be. Anyone seen speculation on that?

*** Edit to add ***

Restricted free agents that are not tendered do not qualify for the compensatory formula. Ignore what I originally said below. I am leaving it there as the reason for posting this info that restricted free agents not tendered are not eligible for the compensatory formula.

I don't hate the idea of letting Odenigbo test free agency and then bringing him back if he doesn't get an offer that would give the Vikings are least a sixth round pick on compensatory considerations. I also think that tendering him may be a better option, but can't say for sure until I figure out what the tender amounts would be.

Offering him an amount around $3.5M should mean Odenigbo will yield a a 6th in the compensatory formula if he finds  a better offer elsewhere. I might just do that instead of tendering him unless the tender amount could lock him up for the year at less than $3.5M.

Edited by Cearbhall
Add relevant info that makes what I was saying irrelevant.