Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

For me, tendering Odenigbo at the original round rate is a no brainer. The question starts at, is he worth the extra ~$1.2M to tender him at a 2nd round rate? 

Judging that he was waived twice by other teams before rejoining the Vikings, plus the surplus of players who are undoubtedly going to be on the market, I think I’d take the gamble and just tender him at his original round. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What does this mean for odenigbo? I feel like him and Weatherly are a little redundant with Wonnum and potentially a draft pick

Camp battle if they can afford to tender Odenigbo. Neither player would have guarantees on their deal, release the loser of the battle. 

Stephen Weatherly was used sparingly in his first two seasons but later became a top rotational pass rusher and part-time starter in 2018 and 2019, tallying three sacks in each of those two seasons.

He signed a two-year, $12.5 million contract with the Carolina Panthers last year but struggled in his first year apart from the Vikings. He had no sacks in nine starts before having surgery on his finger. The Panthers released Weatherly on Feb. 19 — a wake-up call to the 26-year-old defensive end out of Vanderbilt.

Weatherly, who agreed to sign a one-year, $2.5 million contract with the Vikings that could increase to $3 million with incentives, plans to not squander a second chance in Minnesota.

Weatherly: “I really didn’t know how important it was to have that bond with your (defensive line) coach (Andre Patterson) and just guys you play next to. I kind of took that for granted. To be back in Minnesota, it means a lot, with Coach Dre especially. I’m beyond excited. I’m ecstatic. I’m on cloud nine.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/carolina-panthers-stephen-weatherly-revealing-confession/?fbclid=IwAR1cM_8JJYTFjC1rIlqWRb1sPPzcJOGEbJc5ROgR_YQSy_33_44rBv6V374

Defensive end Stephen Weatherly was an NFL free agent for less than two weeks when co-Vikings defensive coordinator Andre Patterson came calling. Patterson wanted to know where Weatherly's head was at, and if he wanted to return to Minnesota.

"I said, 'Absolutely,'" Weatherly said Thursday after agreeing to a one-year, $2.5 million deal worth up to $3 million with incentives.

That's how the Vikings quickly reunited with Weatherly, who was cut by the Panthers last month. Returning to a defensive system under Patterson, who oversaw Weatherly's development from a seventh-round pick to a solid NFL reserve from 2016-2019, was an immediate draw.

"Playing with Dre and knowing and understanding the level of expectations, it's just really nice to know those things going into a situation with a coaching staff." Weatherly said. "I was eager to jump at that chance again."

https://www.startribune.com/source-defensive-end-stephen-weatherly-returning-to-vikings-on-one-year-deal/600030194/

An RFA tender at the original-round level — the only realistic tender for Boone — would cost Minnesota $2.133MM, though it would give the team the right of first refusal if another club signed Boone to an offer sheet. If the Vikings declined to match the offer sheet, they would not receive any draft pick compensation.

A $2.133MM salary for a young and talented insurance policy doesn’t seem like much of a commitment, but the Vikes are still over the 2021 cap at the moment, so they need to cut costs wherever they can. GM Rick Spielman may feel that another team would not offer Boone more than $2.133MM if he were to be non-tendered, and he may be right. Although Boone has flashed during his three professional seasons, he has not had many opportunities.

The Cincinnati product has just 71 career carries to his name, and he had only 11 totes in 2020. He does boast a 5.3 YPC average over that small sample size, and there is reason to believe he would perform well in a larger role, but at the moment, he probably shouldn’t bank on a significant raise over the $750K he pocketed last year.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/03/vikings-want-to-retain-rb-mike-boone

Spielman better have a plan for the offensive line. Getting rid of one of the best contributors shouldn't be entertained unless there is a very solid plan.

------------

Vikings Want LT Riley Reiff To Take Pay Cut

The Vikings left tackle is set to have a salary cap number of $14.95MM in 2021, and Tomasson believes some decision will be made before he’s owed a guaranteed $5MM roster bonus on March 19. If the organization decides to release him prior to that date, they can save a total of $11.75MM between his roster bonus, workout bonus, and $6.55MM base salary. On the books, they’d be left with just $2.2MM in dead money, the sum of his prorated bonus.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/03/vikings-want-lt-riley-reiff-to-take-pay-cut

I think Tomasson is using the term “pay cut” very loosely in this instance. Just about every other mention of Reiff, from other Vikings insiders talks about an extension that lowers his cap hit. 

Seems pretty contradictory, and poor negotiating tactics, for a GM to praise a player publicly, and then ask him to take less money. 

Edited by SemperFeist