Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Minnesota, reaching an ultimatum with 2018 first-round pick Mike Hughes, is “not expected to pick up Hughes’ fifth-year option by the deadline of the first week of May, Pioneer Press reporter Chris Tomasson reported.

Hughes is under contract for the 2021 season, carrying a $3.14 million cap hit, and is entering a make or break year after an injury-riddled career so far — playing in 24 of 50 games while rostered. Not offering his fifth-year option frees Minnesota from owing the University of Central Florida prospect roughly $9.7 million in 2022, per Tomasson.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/mike-hughes-chris-jones-nfl-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR1RbR-rfJgxhjinVUoWbEez0dXqakj_smntmlMe9S74KxA5C0bHjnsAISY

Wow only 24 games

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think we should cut Shamar Stephen or ask him to take a pay cut. He's fine as depth but not a good starter and we have Watts/Lynch.

I would expect that to happen in the next few days...but we've been surprised at how they've handled Stephen in the past.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

We're still going to need about 8-10 million to sign our rookie class. 

I don't think we're doing anything in FA. Not unless Barr restructures, Harrison is extended, and we turn Bryz upside down and shake some coins out of his pockets. 

I do not disagree with your thought that the Vikings won't be very active in free agency, but I do disagree that the Vikings will need anywhere near 8-10 million to sign the rookie class. Keep in mind that the team will be having a salary drop out of their top 51 salaries each time they sign a guy. The first round pick will have some impact around $2M. Most of the rest of them will sum up to a fairly small cap hit averaging around maybe $250k per pick.

11 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I don't think we're doing anything in FA. Not unless Barr restructures, Harrison is extended, and we turn Bryz upside down and shake some coins out of his pockets. 

The Vikings rookie contracts will be roughly $3.6M against the cap. 

16 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Rookie pool won’t be near that much. Right now the total cap hit required for our class is 11.5M (per OTC), but with rule of 51 going into effect and first year rookie deals having minimum base salaries, you can subtract 660k x the number of draft picks for that number. Vikings will need between $3.6 and $4.0M for their draft class most likely. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RpMc said:

Rookie pool won’t be near that much. Right now the total cap hit required for our class is 11.5M (per OTC), but with rule of 51 going into effect and first year rookie deals having minimum base salaries, you can subtract 660k x the number of draft picks for that number. Vikings will need between $3.6 and $4.0M for their draft class most likely. 

I thought 1st Rd rookies were ~$3M salary cap hits first year?  Looking at the #14 slot, the 4-year contract is typically $14.7M with some pretty sweet guaranteed cash.  I realize they can spread that out to the team's advantage.

If we have 12 draft picks though?  It only takes an average of $300K to get to $3.6M this year, right?  Seems pretty plausible the salaries and cap hits will both be north of $5M, especially since the rookie minimum is $495k or more, right?