Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

14 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I thought 1st Rd rookies were ~$3M salary cap hits first year?  Looking at the #14 slot, the 4-year contract is typically $14.7M with some pretty sweet guaranteed cash.  I realize they can spread that out to the team's advantage.

If we have 12 draft picks though?  It only takes an average of $300K to get to $3.6M this year, right?  Seems pretty plausible the salaries and cap hits will both be north of $5M, especially since the rookie minimum is $495k or more, right?

But you also have to take into account the Top 51 rule, and subtract $660K from every rookies cap hit. Most 5th, 6th and 7th round draft picks won’t have cap hits that high, and won’t count towards the Top 51 rule. 

Last year’s 14th overall pick, Kinlaw, had a cap hit of $2.8M for his first year, and while I’m not sure what’s happening with rookie contracts with the cap going down, if we assume that the 14th overall pick this year has a similar contract, because of the Top 51 rule his cap hit will be ~$2.15 until final cuts are made. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I thought 1st Rd rookies were ~$3M salary cap hits first year?  Looking at the #14 slot, the 4-year contract is typically $14.7M with some pretty sweet guaranteed cash.  I realize they can spread that out to the team's advantage.

If we have 12 draft picks though?  It only takes an average of $300K to get to $3.6M this year, right?  Seems pretty plausible the salaries and cap hits will both be north of $5M, especially since the rookie minimum is $495k or more, right?

Again, top 51 cap rules apply. The minimum base salary for a 2021 rookie either doesn’t crack the top 51 (meaning that it doesn’t count against the cap) or it knocks another, lower, base salary off the top 51 which offsets the overall cost. 

typically, only the signing bonuses of rookies hit the salary cap, and the prorated bonus of every pick starting in the third round is less than 300k (our first 3rd round pick has a prorated signing bonus of about 252k) With no current second round pick, our first round Pick’s prorated signing bonus (2.28M roughly) will take up the majority of the cap space allocated to draft picks. 

4th round picks all have prorated bonuses of 200k or under, 5th round picks all under 90k, 6th round picks under 54k, and 7th round picks under 29k. 

I’ll go through later today and add up the signing bonus money as that’s the only thing in a rookie contract guaranteed to hit the cap under top 51 rules. 

• Like 1

On a quick check, none of the rookie base salaries will hit our cap under top 51 rules.

We have 54 players under contract, and the lowest base salary is already 660k (the same as the rookie minimum for this year).

So, only the prorated signing bonuses of our rookies will hit the cap during the offseason.  

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Now we just need to get the extension with Harrison Smith done, and either the restructure or release of Shamar Stephen. 

There isn't anything to really restructure with Stephen unless you plan on extending him.  He's in the final year of his deal.  Cutting him is really the only option as that would save them nearly $4M.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

There isn't anything to really restructure with Stephen unless you plan on extending him.  He's in the final year of his deal.  Cutting him is really the only option as that would save them nearly $4M.  

They could restructure him the same way they did Colquitt and Reiff. Basically give the ultimatum that he either restructures to a lower salary, or they cut him.