Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

The Minnesota Vikings are signing former New York Giants defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson, his agency announced on Monday night.

Via Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Tomlison’s deal with the Vikings is a two-year contract worth up to $22 million. The contract includes $16 million fully guaranteed with a $15 million signing bonus.

A former second-round pick of the Giants in 2017, Tomlinson appeared in every game during his four-year stint with the team. He posted back-to-back seasons with 49 total tackles and 3.5 sacks over the previous two seasons.

Tomlinson has played multiple spots along the defensive line in New York, which will give the Vikings options on how to best deploy him in their scheme.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/15/dalvin-tomlinson-agrees-to-deal-with-vikings/

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports the Vikings are adding former Chargers linebacker Nick Vigil to a one-year deal that includes more than $1 million guaranteed.

Vigil, 27, spent only one season with the Chargers. He played 15 games with two starts, seeing action on 312 defensive snaps and 216 on special teams. Vigil recorded 50 tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble.

He began his career in Cincinnati after the Bengals made him a third-round choice in 2016.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/15/report-vikings-agree-to-one-year-deal-with-nick-vigil/

Not shocked. But I could also see them bringing him back for less than his tender. 

If they can’t/don’t bring him back, I think I would have rather seen them tender Odenigbo than bring back Weatherly. But I certainly won’t bemoan their decision. 

Edited by SemperFeist

The Vikings have “an offer on the table” for cornerback Mackensie Alexander to return to the team, Ben Goessling of the Star Tribune reports.

Alexander, 27, left for Cincinnati a year ago, signing a one-year, $4 million contract with the Bengals. Now, Alexander is a free agent again.

Last season in Cincinnati, Alexander made 10 starts and appeared in three others. He totaled 47 tackles, one interception and six pass breakups.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/16/report-vikings-have-an-offer-on-the-table-for-mackensie-alexander/

• Like 2

The Minnesota Vikings will not extend restricted free agent tenders to either defensive end Ifeadi Odenigbo or running back Mike Boone, according to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. The Vikings also have decided not to tender wide receiver Chad Beebe.

Odenigbo and Boone aren’t expected back with the Vikings after the team declined to tender them. The Vikings are hopeful of keeping Beebe with them on a lesser contract than a tender would be worth.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/16/vikings-wont-tender-ifeadi-odenigbo-mike-boone/

Dalvin Tomlison had been a cornerstone for the Giants defense for four seasons, totaling 207 tackles and eight sacks. Dominant on the line of scrimmage, Tomlinson, standing 6-foot-3 and 318 pounds, made his mark as a run defender early in his career.

He had a breakthrough as an interior pass rusher in 2020, generating 28 total pressures and a career-high four sacks and 18 hurries. Tomlinson produced a 75.1 Pro Football Focus position grade and was ranked the top free-agent defensive tackle this offseason by NBC Sports. Jacob Camenker called Tomlinson “one of the best run stuffers in the NFL.”

Tomlinson has the 2nd-highest run stuff rate (5.1%) among interior DL since entering the league in 2017 (min. 800 run snaps).

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/shamar-stephen-dalvin-tomlinson-new-york-giants/?fbclid=IwAR3kqEYEiynFkkI9R50mLlCd-fDDhRDWknqLuPjDtM1-gv422iniYAsFoGE

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Dalvin Tomlison had been a cornerstone for the Giants defense for four seasons, totaling 207 tackles and eight sacks. Dominant on the line of scrimmage, Tomlinson, standing 6-foot-3 and 318 pounds, made his mark as a run defender early in his career.

He had a breakthrough as an interior pass rusher in 2020, generating 28 total pressures and a career-high four sacks and 18 hurries. Tomlinson produced a 75.1 Pro Football Focus position grade and was ranked the top free-agent defensive tackle this offseason by NBC Sports. Jacob Camenker called Tomlinson “one of the best run stuffers in the NFL.”

Tomlinson has the 2nd-highest run stuff rate (5.1%) among interior DL since entering the league in 2017 (min. 800 run snaps).

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/shamar-stephen-dalvin-tomlinson-new-york-giants/?fbclid=IwAR3kqEYEiynFkkI9R50mLlCd-fDDhRDWknqLuPjDtM1-gv422iniYAsFoGE

I'm liking this signing more and more

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I'm liking this signing more and more

The Giants fan at my work said he's a stud.  Here's the quote from him: "He is disruptive inside and can bat down passes due to his length. He considers this a good signing."

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The Giants fan at my work said he's a stud.  Here's the quote from him: "He is disruptive inside and can bat down passes due to his length. He considers this a good signing."

Sounds like he can get after the QB too, which doesn’t have to equate to total number of sacks. Disrupting the pocket will certainly help create pressures. I’d assume that Tomlinson should see more playing time than Pierce due to the ability to potentially remain on the field in passing situations. 

• Like 1