Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

20 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I heard that as a rumor but I refuse to believe Mac Jones goes before Fields and Lance until I see it.

I think that would be a mistake for them, but maybe a blessing for us.

5 QBs (Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields, Lance), 3 WRs (Waddle, Smith, Chase) and 1 TE (Pitts) means 5 other talents will fall until our pick. Maybe Parsons and Surtain Jr go too. 3 picks.

I'd love Sewell or Slater.

I'll leave it at that. 

27 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I heard that as a rumor but I refuse to believe Mac Jones goes before Fields and Lance until I see it.

If I were a betting man, I would bet the Niners will take Wilson or Lance -- whichever of the two is still on the board. I would assume that it would be Lance, but the Jets are the Jets.

The Niners have Garoppolo so can afford to develop Lance for a year. That would be ideal for Lance too because I don't think he'll be quite ready to go week 1.

Edited by Cearbhall

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If I were a betting man, I would bet the Niners will take Wilson or Lance -- whichever of the two is still on the board. I would assume that it would be Lance, but the Jets are the Jets.

The Niners have Garoppolo so can afford to develop Lance for a year. That would be ideal for Lance too because I don't think he'll be quite ready to go week 1.

I think Wilson goes to the Jets.  Most of the Jets staff was just in SF, so it's not unlikely that the discussion was had before San Francisco traded up.  The Niners must have one particular prospect in mind that they know will be there at 3.

It makes sense that you'd sit Lance behind Garoppolo for a year, but that may be true of Fields.

• Like 1

I think the Jones to SF talk is real. He's a Shanahan type of QB. He's more athletic than people give him credit for. San Fran traded up to 3 to ensure they get their guy. Even if the Jets trade out of the #2 spot, no one is trading up for Jones. It would be for Wilson. I think SF felt that Atlanta could be in play for Jones at #4 if Miami stayed at #3. 

I think we're going to see 5 QBs go before 14. So that leaves 8 other players to go before the Vikings pick. I feel that 4 WR/TE will be selected. I think Slater and Sewell go too. Surtain probably gets drafted before 14 too.

The Vikings probably have their choice of DL at 14. Would be hard to fault them for wanting to match Paye or Phillips with Hunter. But I really hope they trade back a couple of spots and land Darrisaw. 

I hesitate to say we are going to get a "blue chipper" because of how little evaluation teams are getting this year as compared to years past. This draft truly will be more of a crapshoot than usual, so it's best to have more tickets, in my opinion. So for me, a trade down makes sense. 

6 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I think the Jones to SF talk is real. He's a Shanahan type of QB. He's more athletic than people give him credit for. San Fran traded up to 3 to ensure they get their guy. Even if the Jets trade out of the #2 spot, no one is trading up for Jones. It would be for Wilson. I think SF felt that Atlanta could be in play for Jones at #4 if Miami stayed at #3. 

I think we're going to see 5 QBs go before 14. So that leaves 8 other players to go before the Vikings pick. I feel that 4 WR/TE will be selected. I think Slater and Sewell go too. Surtain probably gets drafted before 14 too.

The Vikings probably have their choice of DL at 14. Would be hard to fault them for wanting to match Paye or Phillips with Hunter. But I really hope they trade back a couple of spots and land Darrisaw. 

I hesitate to say we are going to get a "blue chipper" because of how little evaluation teams are getting this year as compared to years past. This draft truly will be more of a crapshoot than usual, so it's best to have more tickets, in my opinion. So for me, a trade down makes sense. 

I agree.  I believe SF will draft Jones.  He's a much more polished version of Cousins coming out of college, with even better accuracy and decision making ability.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I agree.  I believe SF will draft Jones.  He's a much more polished version of Cousins coming out of college, with even better accuracy and decision making ability.

It made sense to me the first time the rumor came up, because the first comparison that was ever mentioned of Jones that I heard was that he was a younger version of Kirk Cousins.  And who has been Shanahan's favored QB...Kirk Cousins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s no way Mac Jones gets drafted ahead of Fields or Lance, like there was no way that Daniel Jones was going to get drafted ahead of Dwayne Haskins. 

While I think they might still favor Jones, Fields may have made that discussion moot today.  

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While I think they might still favor Jones, Fields may have made that discussion moot today.  

I really don’t think anything these guys do at their pro day sways decision makers too much. Fields didn’t do anything that you wouldn’t expect from him. Everyone already knew he was an athletic specimen. 

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I really don’t think anything these guys do at their pro day sways decision makers too much. Fields didn’t do anything that you wouldn’t expect from him. Everyone already knew he was an athletic specimen. 

Unless it's "Skinny Knees and Two Gloves" Teddy.

• Like 1

Zimmer:  “Honestly, after the season, I was kind of down in the dumps looking at the depth chart and knowing what kind of salary cap space we had. Rob and Rick have done an unbelievably good job. They’ve gotten me rejuvenated with the guys they’ve brought in.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/01/mike-zimmer-feels-rejuvenated-by-defensive-additions/

• Like 3