Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

40 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If looking at Gladney as purely a slot guy, he’s already been replaced with Alexander. Bigger question is if we have an outside guy and I was hoping Gladney could have developed into that. Now we will have to look at Dantzler as the future and a big unknown with Peterson. And now there isn’t much depth to speak of.

Guess he can be another teams problem. 

Dantzler was higher on my draft board for outside CB ... and he is definitely the better outside CB going forward.  Yes, Alexander can get all of Gladney's snaps and play well with it, but it just sucks to lose that 4+ years of team control with Gladney. Wish we signed Alexander for a longer contract now. 

I still hope we don't draft CB at #14.

If the Vikings cut Gladney, no one will blink, but I’m guessing that he won’t be cut. Not unless video or something that turns this into a PR nightmare forces their hand. 

They didn’t jettison Peterson or Chris Cook for their respective domestic abuse cases. I wouldn’t expect to see Gladney get cut. At least not until the legal process plays out. 

Edited by SemperFeist

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings cut Gladney, no one will blink, but I’m guessing that he won’t be cut. Not unless video or something that turns this into a PR nightmare forces their hand. 

They didn’t jettison Peterson or Chris Cook for their respective domestic abuse cases. I wouldn’t expect to see Gladney get cut. At least not until the legal process plays out. 

Peterson was obviously going to get a pass given who he was. Cook was so long ago with a different head coach. Not sure how much say Zimmer will have with the decision in the end but it doesn’t look good for the organization to have this happen. But unfortunately, it seems that if there is no video of the incident there is less outrage. 

Edited by vikingsrule

Frankly, if this is a domestic issue, Gladney isn't likely to see the inside of a courtroom. Cases like that generally get dismissed because the victim refuses to cooperate. I think that will be especially true when millions of dollars are at stake. 

The likely outcome is that the case is dismissed and the NFL suspends him for a few games for violating person conduct policies. It appears that he's a first time offender, and unless there are extenuating circumstances, I don't see the NFL going hard on him. 

I doubt the Vikings would cut him without a criminal disposition, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Someone’s career may be in jeopardy. 

This kind of thing can't be rewarded.  He needs to be dropped from the team.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

This kind of thing can't be rewarded.  He needs to be dropped from the team.

Frankly, I disagree. It isn't a reward. He's going to be suspended and lose far more money than the criminal justice system will penalize him. The league has power to discipline him. Your employer should not be a vigilante extrajudicial body. That's a very, very slippery slope. If Gladney worked at McDonald's, no one would think twice. You're also kidding yourself if you think that another team wouldn't swoop in and sign him up.  

• Like 2

There were some character concerns about Gladney that people didn't really talk about, but clearly the Vikings were aware of, which is why they were willing to trade down and still draft him, as they could more stomach the risk taking him at 31 and getting the additional draft capital later in case it blew up.  

It's a terrible situation that shouldn't have happened, but I'm not big on throwing the baby out with the bath water over one instance and cutting him, as that won't do him any good.  The Vikings, of all organizations, have one of the best support/development systems in the entire NFL with Les Pico.  The situation sounds really bad and Gladney needs to serve whatever punishment comes his way if it's the truth, both from the court system and the league, but this should be his one strike.  He doesn't get another one, but he clearly has issues that potentially can be helped by Pico.  Cutting him loose now doesn't help him in any way and he needs the help.  If he doesn't take to that help, then fine, cut him loose, it won't upset me, but this one incident, as bad as it is, doesn't make him irredeemable.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There were some character concerns about Gladney that people didn't really talk about, but clearly the Vikings were aware of, which is why they were willing to trade down and still draft him, as they could more stomach the risk taking him at 31 and getting the additional draft capital later in case it blew up.  

It's a terrible situation that shouldn't have happened, but I'm not big on throwing the baby out with the bath water over one instance and cutting him, as that won't do him any good.  The Vikings, of all organizations, have one of the best support/development systems in the entire NFL with Les Pico.  The situation sounds really bad and Gladney needs to serve whatever punishment comes his way if it's the truth, both from the court system and the league, but this should be his one strike.  He doesn't get another one, but he clearly has issues that potentially can be helped by Pico.  Cutting him loose now doesn't help him in any way and he needs the help.  If he doesn't take to that help, then fine, cut him loose, it won't upset me, but this one incident, as bad as it is, doesn't make him irredeemable.   

Very well put. 

13 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If this was Harrison Hand or Kris Boyd, would you have the same opinion? In other words, players who have played comparatively who weren’t a first round pick, do they get just one strike? 

I think his actions were pretty close to irredeemable. Is it possible to reform a domestic abuser? The Vikes obviously have to be cautious here and but should look out for the organizations and locker rooms best interests. Just not sure it’s worth the effort for a fringe caliber roster player (obviously he’s not because of his first round pick status and what he’s entitled to in terms of roster security). Gladney clearly needs help but I hope that the Vikes really listen to the locker room leaders and determine if they want to help or really don’t want to be associated with the guy. What’s Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, Thielen and Danielle Hunter thinking right now? Could certainly be a bad look in the locker room if they keep Gladney around too.  

And I don’t like the comparisons to McDonalds employees. These are highly paid and highly visible athletes who know what they are signing up for via the CBA.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If this was Harrison Hand or Kris Boyd, would you have the same opinion? In other words, players who have played comparatively who weren’t a first round pick, do they get just one strike? 

I think his actions were pretty close to irredeemable. Is it possible to reform a domestic abuser? The Vikes obviously have to be cautious here and but should look out for the organizations and locker rooms best interests. Just not sure it’s worth the effort for a fringe caliber roster player (obviously he’s not because of his first round pick status and what he’s entitled to in terms of roster security). Gladney clearly needs help but I hope that the Vikes really listen to the locker room leaders and determine if they want to help or really don’t want to be associated with the guy. What’s Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, Thielen and Danielle Hunter thinking right now? Could certainly be a bad look in the locker room if they keep Gladney around too.  

And I don’t like the comparisons to McDonalds employees. These are highly paid and highly visible athletes who know what they are signing up for via the CBA.

I don't think that there is any doubt that fringe roster players that aren't invested in as much have a shorter leash

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The amount of money you make should not dictate the consequences that you are beholden to. And the CBA does not state that "thou shall be cut and shunned before due process has played out."

Does Gladney get more consideration because of draft status? Of course. That's the nature of the beast. Additionally, how comfortable are you with letting your employer dictate when you've been punished enough? There's a reason we have courts. They should be used. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

In my opinion, yes.  It doesn't matter where they were drafted, or if at all.

Edited by swede700

15 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't think that there is any doubt that fringe roster players that aren't invested in as much have a shorter leash

Which unfortunately has created an entitlement for Gladney, he won’t lose his roster spot if he’s out performed or gets in trouble. If Gladney wasn’t a first round pick, how would we all view his ability and performance against all the other young CBs who played last year? How does he compare to Mackensie Alexander? I know as fans we think more highly of those first rounders. It’s why Treadwell stuck around so long and we still have hope for Mikes Hughes despite his inability to be healthy and consistent. 

I just wonder how likely it is that he actually changes if he’s given the impression that he’s entitled to his multi million dollar job at the end of the day. He certainly felt entitled to his GF’s phone; it’s not a good look for the team, I’d expect at a minimum they’d shut him down for the year ala Peterson.

But Id trust Zimmer as a coach to field the best player regardless of draft status or experience but I’m not sure that’s necessarily been the case since he’s been here.  

Edited by vikingsrule

26 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Which unfortunately has created an entitlement for Gladney, he won’t lose his roster spot if he’s out performed or gets in trouble. If Gladney wasn’t a first round pick, how would we all view his ability and performance against all the other young CBs who played last year? How does he compare to Mackensie Alexander? I know as fans we think more highly of those first rounders. It’s why Treadwell stuck around so long and we still have hope for Mikes Hughes despite his inability to be healthy and consistent. 

I just wonder how likely it is that he actually changes if he’s given the impression that he’s entitled to his multi million dollar job at the end of the day. He certainly felt entitled to his GF’s phone; it’s not a good look for the team, I’d expect at a minimum they’d shut him down for the year ala Peterson.

But Id trust Zimmer as a coach to field the best player regardless of draft status or experience but I’m not sure that’s necessarily been the case since he’s been here.  

He showed enough ability in college to be a first round pick.  I think that still counts for something since it's only been 1 year after a messed up offseason. 

As far as if would change if he doesn't get cut,  it's hard to say.  He might need to lose his job to get his act together or maybe being suspended and realizing how close he was to losing everything would be enough.  Hopefully whatever happens he grows as a person