Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

12 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I figured Mata'afa could. He's pretty versatile.

Fun fact about Mata’afa. He came in his rookie year and they put him at linebacker. It didn’t work. Then they put him at defensive end. It didn’t work. Then they put him at defensive tackle. It didn’t work. Then they put him at defensive end again. It’s still not working. 

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Mata’afa just isn’t going to work out. Fun guy to root for, but it’s time to move forward with better players. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Fun fact about Mata’afa. He came in his rookie year and they put him at linebacker. It didn’t work. Then they put him at defensive end. It didn’t work. Then they put him at defensive tackle. It didn’t work. Then they put him at defensive end again. It’s still not working. 

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Mata’afa just isn’t going to work out. Fun guy to root for, but it’s time to move forward with better players. 

No argument about LB and DT. He wasn't working out at those positions. I do think that he looked decent at DE. I wouldn't have a problem with him being DE depth that rotates onto the field. Given the stable of guys the team has, it will be tough for him to win that job. That's not a bad thing. If the team has someone that can do that better that would be great. 

56 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He has an uphill battle too with Jones and Robinson being drafted and Hunter returning. Plus Weatherly being signed back and Wonnum showed some promise in limited action.

His best bet is to beat out Holmes (who is probably worse than Mata'afa anyways), Brailford and Willekes and maybe one of the top 5 guys get hurt. 

I'll root for him, because anything could happen but realistically he's pretty much doomed.

Edited by SteelKing728

17 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

No argument about LB and DT. He wasn't working out at those positions. I do think that he looked decent at DE. I wouldn't have a problem with him being DE depth that rotates onto the field. Given the stable of guys the team has, it will be tough for him to win that job. That's not a bad thing. If the team has someone that can do that better that would be great. 

Agreed, he played decent at times last year and go pressure on the QB more than once.  He is not a DT but as a DE maybe, and until on the field the other DEs beat him out he will be on the roster.  But sure Robinson and Jones most likely take his place, curious how Willekes looks after the injury hopefully he can do some things as well.  Either way never bad to have depth and now with Robinson and Jones being drafted they have crazy good depth at the DE spot and multiple guys who could be the starter opposite Hunter.

I tend to agree with @SemperFeist...Mata'afa was most effective at DT, not DE (so I'm not sure what you guys were looking at) and he still wasn't good at it because of his size deficiency.  So, in reality, he's just reached his limit and shouldn't be a NFL player any longer.  Maybe he can go get a few more years out in the CFL, but that's about it.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I tend to agree with @SemperFeist...Mata'afa was most effective at DT, not DE (so I'm not sure what you guys were looking at) and he still wasn't good at it because of his size deficiency.  So, in reality, he's just reached his limit and shouldn't be a NFL player any longer.  Maybe he can go get a few more years out in the CFL, but that's about it.   

I didn't think he did anything as a DT and only had some impact this year as aDE

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I imagine so.  Also, it opens the door for maybe another veteran or a spot for one of the younger guys.  I think this trade probably made it clear that even Harrison Hand had passed him up on the depth chart.  

I had forgotten about Hand, lol. That’s probably true. 

The timing is odd, and makes this appear to be a salary cap move more than anything. And for a team that’s already set to be $14M under the cap in a couple of weeks, it’ll be curious to see what they need the extra $2M for?

I’m guessing a couple of extensions aren’t too far away from being announced. 

Edited by SemperFeist

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I imagine so.  Also, it opens the door for maybe another veteran or a spot for one of the younger guys.  I think this trade probably made it clear that even Harrison Hand had passed him up on the depth chart.  

Hand honestly looked like the second best CB on the team after Cam last year. Still kinda sad seeing Hughes go but he needed a fresh start. Hughes, kept getting injured  and couldn't trust him. 

Edited by dc_vikingfan

1 minute ago, twslhs20 said:

he was the 6th best slot corner in 19. what the actual hell? They kept that human trash bag Gladney over him?

He's played in 24 out of a possible 48 career games with a torn ACL and a neck injury on his resume. 

I'm not defending Gladney here but the writing was on the wall for Hughes in MN.

• Like 1