Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

I didn’t realize it, but Adam Thielen is closer than I thought. It’s plausible that he’s 3rd in franchise history in receptions and touchdowns by season’s end. And could very conceivably be top 2-3 in yards, receptions and touchdowns by the end of 2022. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I didn’t realize it, but Adam Thielen is closer than I thought. It’s plausible that he’s 3rd in franchise history in receptions and touchdowns by season’s end. And could very conceivably be top 2-3 in yards, receptions and touchdowns by the end of 2022. 

Pretty amazing considering we hardly used him at all in 2014 and 2015.

and to think we had guys like Mike Wallace and Charles Johnson ahead of him. Then we drafted Treadwell!!😱

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Someone is going to have to explain to me the purpose, from both player and team standpoint, for the two voidable years.

Is it just so that they can spread out the ~$2M in bonus and incentive money out over those years?

That seems to be the most plausible explanation. Maybe they still have eyes on other players?

19 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think in the list you have, AC needs to be in right NOW!  Except for Randy Moss, and possibly Diggs...the Vikings had never really had a receiver that could actually take over the game and be a force of nature.  All Viking fans need to get real familiar with what AC was for the Vikings offense in his era.

Robert Smith seems like a forgotten man sometimes.  However, he held every notable Viking rushing record until Peterson came along.  When he was healthy, he was as productive as any back in the league.  I think some fans resent Smith because he retired in what seemed like his prime.  Can't fault a guy for having other interests in life and being intellectually curious!!!  

I would definitely put Smith and Carter in the Ring!! 

Injuries didn’t help Smith either, especially early in his career. 

32 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

That seems to be the most plausible explanation. Maybe they still have eyes on other players?

Absolutely, yes.  I'm sure they still plan to sign a veteran, proven 3rd WR (I'm hoping it will be Larry Fitzgerald), and maybe a veteran safety, to add depth and maybe compete with Woods, and/or maybe a veteran, proven kicker, or a defensive right end, who can play on rushing downs.  They need more depth in all these areas in case of injuries.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Maybe they still have eyes on other players?

Possibly, although they still need some money for a Brian O’Neill extension. 

The only other player that I’ve heard rumors of the team’s interest, who hasn’t been signed yet, is Dede Westbrook. 

• Like 1

I think planning for injuries is probably the biggest reason.  They don't want to be left holding the bag like that one year when LT after LT kept going out for the season.  It looks like they are basically trying to go all in this season, so they don't want injuries to potentially derail the season.

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think planning for injuries is probably the biggest reason.  They don't want to be left holding the bag like that one year when LT after LT kept going out for the season.  It looks like they are basically trying to go all in this season, so they don't want injuries to potentially derail the season.

They are going all in to save their jobs and a dismantling of this roster.  So, they might was well go all the way.  Why have wasted their chance to get younger, faster, and stronger, and less susceptible to future injury, and have more future potential, IF they are going to have 3 or 4 positions with a reasonable chance of derailing their season with an injury to the starter?  I still think they'll sign a veteran WR, another veteran safety, a veteran Edge Rusher (right side), and, possibly, a veteran kicker.  These signings won't be very costly, and bonus-front loading will still allow O'Neill's and Smith's extensions to be made.

I have a question for you fellow Vikings fans. Do y’all think that there was luck involved in the Packers drafting/acquiring back to back HOF QBs? Or do y’all believe the credit should all go to the front offices that traded for Favre & drafted Rodgers? 

There’s a conversation going on in the Packers forum. And I’m curious to know some of y’all’s thoughts on this subject. 

2 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

I have a question for you fellow Vikings fans. Do y’all think that there was luck involved in the Packers drafting/acquiring back to back HOF QBs? Or do y’all believe the credit should all go to the front offices that traded for Favre & drafted Rodgers? 

There’s a conversation going on in the Packers forum. And I’m curious to know some of y’all’s thoughts on this subject. 

It’s luck in the sense that it defies the odds, but it’s really a sign of how good their talent evaluators have been since Wolf rebuilt everything in 1991. The Packers didn’t just get lucky with Favre and Rodgers, they’ve been equally as good with their overall talent evaluation. 

I think more teams would have better QBs if they had the patience to let a young QB sit and learn for a couple of years. 

4 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

I think it was partly luck, but also, partly better roster-filling strategy based on the relative value of the different positions. They had a better chance of that happening because they have drafted many more QBs at higher picks, on average, in the draft than The Vikings have done over the past many years.

Edited by Robb_K

20 hours ago, swede700 said:

Didn't we sign Jake Long that year who lasted all of about 5 Quarters of the season?