Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

Id snag him up and try and bet on him having good health. See if we can sign him to a prove it deal and spend this year getting his body right and learning the playbook and have him start next year next to Harrison.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

I have a question for you fellow Vikings fans. Do y’all think that there was luck involved in the Packers drafting/acquiring back to back HOF QBs? Or do y’all believe the credit should all go to the front offices that traded for Favre & drafted Rodgers? 

There’s a conversation going on in the Packers forum. And I’m curious to know some of y’all’s thoughts on this subject. 

Of course there is some luck involved. If anyone thinks otherwise, they probably aren't worth arguing with.

Of course it wasn't all luck. To the extent it was luck, they put themselves in position to be lucky. There is a lot of skill involved. Even the best evaluators aren't 100% though. Even the best developers of talent can't develop 100% of players to their maximum potential. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Of course there is some luck involved. If anyone thinks otherwise, they probably aren't worth arguing with.

Of course it wasn't all luck. To the extent it was luck, they put themselves in position to be lucky. There is a lot of skill involved. Even the best evaluators aren't 100% though. Even the best developers of talent can't develop 100% of players to their maximum potential. 

Agree.  I'm not sure Aaron Rodgers is who he is today without actually sitting for those 3 years.  I think he'd even tell you that, considering he had lots of issues coming out of college (as all Tedford QBs have...just see the careers of Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Trent Dilfer, David Carr and Kyle Boller) and sitting behind Favre helped him correct those issues.  

18 hours ago, Robb_K said:

They are going all in to save their jobs and a dismantling of this roster.  So, they might was well go all the way.  Why have wasted their chance to get younger, faster, and stronger, and less susceptible to future injury, and have more future potential, IF they are going to have 3 or 4 positions with a reasonable chance of derailing their season with an injury to the starter?  I still think they'll sign a veteran WR, another veteran safety, a veteran Edge Rusher (right side), and, possibly, a veteran kicker.  These signings won't be very costly, and bonus-front loading will still allow O'Neill's and Smith's extensions to be made.

They don't know where the injuries are going to hit or what opportunities are going to present themselves during the season

5 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

They don't know where the injuries are going to hit or what opportunities are going to present themselves during the season

That's precisely why I mentioned 3 areas where they are short on depth to bolster those positions IF the injury bug strikes,.  And also why I added the kicking position, which is certainly unsure right now, and could use another decent (ideally more recently proven) candidate to compete for that job.  That way, the one who is kicking best can make the team, and the other one can be placed on the taxi squad; so if the chosen kicker has a terrible missing streak, and mental problem, they can swicth players (or the benched kicker can be cut).

20 hours ago, Robb_K said:

That's precisely why I mentioned 3 areas where they are short on depth to bolster those positions IF the injury bug strikes,.  And also why I added the kicking position, which is certainly unsure right now, and could use another decent (ideally more recently proven) candidate to compete for that job.  That way, the one who is kicking best can make the team, and the other one can be placed on the taxi squad; so if the chosen kicker has a terrible missing streak, and mental problem, they can swicth players (or the benched kicker can be cut).

I'm pretty sure they already have 2 kickers. It'd be nice but I dint think there is an obvious upgrade. 

My point was that the injury bug could hit at a position that we have quality depth at but not enough to cover for 2-3 injuries.  It's hard to have sufficient depth at every position and it would be nice to have a little extra cash available so some moves can be made during the season if needed.  

On 6/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, Robb_K said:

Can we please not use draft capital on another kicker? I just don't think its worth it.

Still holding out on hope that one of our kickers get a...leg up on the other guy.

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Can we please not use draft capital on another kicker? I just don't think its worth it.

Still holding out on hope that one of our kickers get a...leg up on the other guy.

Who said anything about using a draft choice to get a new kicker in trade?  The draft is over.  If there were a quality kicker available in trade for a draft choice, that would indicate his current team doesn't have room for him or doesn't want him anymore, which means he is either kicking badly, or, in any case, will be cut by that team if no other team is willing to give up player assets to trade for him.  So, The Vikings would have a chance to pick him up on waivers or sign him as a UFA after he is cut.  I just meant that The Vikings should invite a veteran UFA kicker to Camp, just to add more competition in Camp and pre-season, as I think they only have 2 kickers right now.  The more in the competition, the more chance one of them will kick decently, and the others will be cut, in any case.

Edited by Robb_K

19 hours ago, Robb_K said:

Who said anything about using a draft choice to get a new kicker in trade?  The draft is over.  If there were a quality kicker available in trade for a draft choice, that would indicate his current team doesn't have room for him or doesn't want him anymore, which means he is either kicking badly, or, in any case, will be cut by that team if no other team is willing to give up player assets to trade for him.  So, The Vikings would have a chance to pick him up on waivers or sign him as a UFA after he is cut.  I just meant that The Vikings should invite a veteran UFA kicker to Camp, just to add more competition in Camp and pre-season, as I think they only have 2 kickers right now.  The more in the competition, the more chance one of them will kick decently, and the others will be cut, in any case.

We did this with Vedvik in 2019 because he was seen at the time as a quality player.

I just prefer we don't go that route again. I think Spielman learned his lesson. I hope!

36 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

We did this with Vedvik in 2019 because he was seen at the time as a quality player.

I just prefer we don't go that route again. I think Spielman learned his lesson. I hope!

I'd give up draft capital for Justin Tucker. Although he'd immediately develop the shanks upon landing in Minnesota.

• Like 4