Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

The instability of the offense has told you everything you know about the team under Zimmer. 

In an odd twist, last year from what I understand, that held defensively.  The problem was that they hardly ever got to 3rd down because they were so bad on on 1st and 2nd.

Yeah it was an odd year, offense was outstanding, Kirk played great, they put up points but is the year they had an awful defense.  Hopefully they care marry the two more this year and be something.  

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

That graph is crazy, would have never thought that they would be that far ahead of other teams, but is also over a very long period of time.  

Last year was awful though, they were fourth worst in the league and gave up 29.7 points per game.  Think about their ranking if 2020 was out of the mix.  Data stats like that are fun and easy twitter info but can be deceptive at times as well based on the graph and how it is laid out.  

18 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I imagine that if he's indicted the team will have to suspend him until the outcome of the trial...unless they schedule the trial until after the season.  If it were my decision I would suspend him the moment the indictment is given.  It would be in his best interest to give his full energy to his defense.

5 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I imagine that if he's indicted the team will have to suspend him until the outcome of the trial...unless they schedule the trial until after the season.  If it were my decision I would suspend him the moment the indictment is given.  It would be in his best interest to give his full energy to his defense.

Not sure if the team is allowed to suspend him for this under the CBA. They could maybe try to couch it as conduct detrimental to the team, but I believe that is a maximum of four games suspension. It also would be challenged by the NFLPA and I feel the NFLPA would have a solid chance of having that suspension overturned.

While I share sentiment that I don't think it would be best for Gladney to give his full energy to his defense, I would rather see the Vikings let this play out and be handled by the authorities including the NFL discipline policy. I have always felt that him being put on the commissioners exempt list until the legal matter is resolved. I also believe that he'll be given a suspension by the league if there proves to be any merit to the claims. His worst case, from an NFL discipline perspective, is probably a year on the commissioners exempt list followed by a six game suspension.

Of course, as you imply by suggesting he concentrate on his defense, his worst case from a legal discipline perspective is far worse than his worst case from an NFL discipline perspective.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:49 AM, Virginia Viking said:

I would have cut him a long time ago if it were me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I would have cut him a long time ago if it were me. 

I’d suspend him (if possible under current NFLPA) until verdict comes way down the line. If he’s guilty, then cut him. Tough precedent to set for here on out, but one that would be just.

Some teams are clearly rebuilding. Some teams are clearly competing. Some teams are the Minnesota Vikings. And because of their commitment to the middle, they’re a tough team to define reasonable success for. I elected to take the longer view in the room and center success on their internal estimation of an enigma of a quarterback: Kirk Cousins.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/minnesota-vikings-successful-season-2021

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Very interesting article.  To me the telling part was when the author wrote that Cousins doesn't scare defensive coordinators.  The way to defensively beat the Vikings is to stop Cook and the running attack.  I think he is also correct to think that the Vikings are likely to trade Cousins before paying him a guaranteed $45,000,000.00 for the 2022 season.  They might extend him, and I would probably, if he got the Vikings to the Super Bowl and he was a consensus top 5 quarterback in 2021.  However, I don't think either is likely.

I think the most likely scenario is that they give him a little more cash and add void years to his deal to lessen his cap number.  I can't see them trading him in 2022 unless Mond is ready, and I don't think that'll be the case.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think the most likely scenario is that they give him a little more cash and add void years to his deal to lessen his cap number.  I can't see them trading him in 2022 unless Mond is ready, and I don't think that'll be the case.  

Do you think that Cousins would agree?  I don't.  He knows that he really has one last window to get another mega-money contract, and I think he's smart enough to know that he's not likely to get that from the Vikings.

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

Do you think that Cousins would agree?  I don't.  He knows that he really has one last window to get another mega-money contract, and I think he's smart enough to know that he's not likely to get that from the Vikings.

Well, he still gets the void years, which means he'd still likely be a free agent in 2023 and more cash on top of it.  I don't necessarily know that he'd agree to it, but I don't think he necessarily wouldn't either, because it would still be to his benefit...and theirs.    

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Linval got shot in the calf during his first training camp, hopefully Pierce’s calf injury before his first training camp is followed by similar results. 

Our DTs need to start wearing flak jackets and kevlar...

• Like 1