Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Westbrook: “Keenan’s like a father figure to me. I respect him and everything that he’s ever taught me and done for me.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/24/dede-westbrook-signing-one-year-deal-with-vikings/

Westbrook was scheduled Sunday to fly to Seattle for a Monday workout with the Seahawks but that has been canceled. 

https://www.twincities.com/2021/07/24/wr-dede-westbrook-super-excited-to-sign-one-year-deal-with-vikings/

Edited by vike daddy

Signing Dede was a very good thing because it gives the Vikings a legit deep threat receiver and if he does not work out no big loss at all.

I hope he does not take time away from  Ihmir Smith-Marsette though but they will have to battle each other for that other WR spot.  Consider Beebe and Bisi out of the mix, especially Bisi but will see what happens.  

The Vikings did sign Tajae Sharpe last year but that turned out to be nothing, but Dede is far more talented than Tajae and provides the Vikings something they do not really have.  I believe Dede has legit 4.3 speed and is a pure burner, also helps that he knows the Vikings currently WR coach obviously which clearly allowed him to get this opportunity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ran a 4.39 at his Combine, so yes.

Apparently ran a 4.34 at his OU pro day as well.  Either way he is a big time athlete, thin but wiry strong and explosive.  Even if he does not catch a lot of passes he can take the top off the defense and provide a threat.  Very similar in build and athletic ability to Smith-Marsette, Dede is faster though but Smith-Marsette has more wiggle and jump ball ability.  Either way should greatly help the Vikings offense and provide another receiving threat.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Apparently ran a 4.34 at his OU pro day as well.  Either way he is a big time athlete, thin but wiry strong and explosive.  Even if he does not catch a lot of passes he can take the top off the defense and provide a threat.  Very similar in build and athletic ability to Smith-Marsette, Dede is faster though but Smith-Marsette has more wiggle and jump ball ability.  Either way should greatly help the Vikings offense and provide another receiving threat.

not to be creepy, but daddy like....

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Maybe I should take my purple shades off but I'm not sure how this off-season could go much better with what little they had to work with at the beginning

Potential starting LT or RT Christian Darrisaw*

Starting DT Dalvin Tomlinson

Potential starting DT or backup DT Sheldon Richardson

Starting CB Patrick Peterson

Starting S Xavier Woods

Potential starting slot and backup CB Mac Alexander

Potential starting or backup CB Breshaun Breeland

Back/Developmental QB Kellen Mond* 

Potential starting/backup DE Stephen Weatherly

Potential 3rd WR and return man WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette*

Backup center or guard Mason Cole

Potential 3rd WR and return man WR Dede Westbrook

Potential starting or backup guard Wyatt Davis*

Potential backup developmental DE Patrick Jones*

Potential backup developmental DE Janarius Robinson*

Potential backup developmental DT Jaylen Twyman*

Potential backup developmental LB Chazz Surratt*

Potential backup/starting LB Nick Vigil

Potential athletic pass catching TE Zach Davidson*

Potential backup safety/corner S Cam Bynum*

Potential starting kicker K Riley Patterson*

Potential return man RB Kene Nwangwu*

Potential backup receiver or practice squad guy WR Whop Philyor*

Potential backup CB Parry Nickerson

That is 24 players and one could even include Pierce and Hunter who both did not play at all last season.  And all of them should be part of the team, a few might not make the roster but many will or could be starting.   13 of those players are drafted indicated by the (*) so that is a big part of it.

So some big changes especially defensively, and not sure what it means but on ESPN Weatherly is 4th on the DE depth chart behind all those young guys which is curious.  Either way the DL is obviously the most improved especially if one considers the return of Hunter and Pierce.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Honestly such a good signing if he can get healthy. Quick, above average route running, great in space. 

Big if is how quick he can come back and his effectiveness. 

DeDe is also good on contested tosses(especially for a not-very-tall receiver), surprisingly good in tight situations (for such a thin, wiry receiver), has soft hands, and surprisingly for such a lightweight receiver, makes a lot of yards after first contact.

All we need is for him to be completely healed from his surgery, and have him stay healthy, and for the newly-fortified OL to give Kirk enough time to give a look to his 3 or 4 options before DeDe, so he can get the ball to him.  DeDe is bound to be open a lot with Jefferson and Thielen doubled and a LB on Smith, and someone shadowing Cook.  If Kirk starts looking for Westbrook early, because of a lot of success with him, opposing defences will start scheming to take care of Westbrook, leaving either Thielen or Jefferson in man-to-man, which could result in Kirk picking that defence apart.  Kirk, with decent OL protection, and FIVE sure handed, good route running targets, and a super RB should be almost impossible to stop.  😀

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Maybe I should take my purple shades off but I'm not sure how this off-season could go much better with what little they had to work with at the beginning

Well according to some, it could have been better if they fired Spielman and traded their next 6 first rounders to trade up for the rights to Joe Thomas.