Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Exactly this. You nailed it!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with suggesting getting a vaccine and educating people about it. Its how you get skeptics to come around!

That's how I feel about most things in life.  Outright bans on most things never work.  Education is the only route that works (albeit slowly in some cases).  Try telling yourself as a teenager or any teen children you have that they are "forbidden" to do something and see how that works out for you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That's how I feel about most things in life.  Outright bans on most things never work.  Education is the only route that works (albeit slowly in some cases).  Try telling yourself as a teenager or any teen children you have that they are "forbidden" to do something and see how that works out for you.  

There’s always going to be skeptics when the government and big pharma companies are pushing something so heavily and the messaging has been so terrible by the lead guy whose supposed to know what he talking about.

It’s further compounded by the fact that it’s not truly a vaccine but an experimental drug that has not gone through the proper FDA approvals and there are no proven facts to the long term consequences. I’m sure more will be on board as this gets properly approved, but the fear is, as the virus mutates and becomes immune to the shot, these same pharma companies and the government will push new shots, right? Isn’t that the case for the regular cold virus? You get your booster shot but it doesn’t work half the time?

Im not an anti vaxxer or anything, my 3 year old is up to date on everything he needs to be and I don’t use religion as a means of getting out of vaccines (ie measles), but I’m for individual freedom of choice, especially as it relates to ones body and health. The government especially needs to mind their own business. Now when a bunch of 20/30 year old somethings are reluctant to not participate with this experiment, for what is almost a 99% survival rate for that age group, I’m not surprised in the least. 

If I’m an athlete, I agree with what everyone is saying. Get the vaccine already, why risk losing out on millions of dollars and derailing a season. I get Zimmer’s push. He needs to get to the playoffs or could be canned. But again, I’m not surprised why a young person would turn down millions for fear of what long term consequences could be, which nobody should pretend to understand at this stage. If that fear truly exists, I’d think the proper avenue would be to opt out of the season altogether than be a distraction or hindrance to the team.

The NFLPA is again not standing up for its players if teams start looking at fining players or punishing players for this. I don’t think Zimmer or teams have a leg to stand on for punishing those reluctant to get a shot.

• Like 4

Heaven help us if something with a death rate of Ebola ever becomes as transmissible as COVID, because the idiocy around this vaccine shows us we can’t rely on people to use common sense. 

People say it’s the government and big pharma that cause their hesitancy, as if there aren’t 200 other countries on this planet pushing their populations to get vaccinated. Just abject stupidity. 

The NFL should absolutely mandate vaccines, but there likely isn’t any mechanism to allow teams to not pay players who refuse. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 3:31 PM, swede700 said:

Well, they ended up pulling the plug today anyway...

And unsurprisingly, he cleared waivers officially today.  We'll see if someone decides to give him a 2nd chance in 2022.  If Holton Hill had to take such a long time to get his 2nd chance despite only hurting himself, I imagine it might take longer for Gladney.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, vike daddy said:

can we please not start posting like this? others have done it too.

it's definitely against forum rules and always has been, the Webmaster calls it subverting the profanity filters. we're all educated people here, we can use proper vocabulary to express ourselves, and not let it degrade.

thanks, all.

What the **** you talking about you **** **** son of a **** bastard **** **** **** **** **** **** ****....

😉  Just kidding...    Ok I gotcha, just on such an issue as this, it is pretty annoying the response some of players are having and in result the team is being hurt greatly by it and such a response massively affects their chances of winning. 

19 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Heaven help us if something with a death rate of Ebola ever becomes as transmissible as COVID, because the idiocy around this vaccine shows us we can’t rely on people to use common sense. 

People say it’s the government and big pharma that cause their hesitancy, as if there aren’t 200 other countries on this planet pushing their populations to get vaccinated. Just abject stupidity. 

The NFL should absolutely mandate vaccines, but there likely isn’t any mechanism to allow teams to not pay players who refuse. 

Couldn't that lead to another strike season?

As someone who has been vaccinated since January, I'm glad they aren't mandating a vaccine.

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

You’re basing this on what?

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/minnesota-vikings-news/mike-zimmer-reveals-kirk-cousins-doesnt-believe-in-protocols/

Headline is extremely misleading. Here's the actual quote from Zimmer, when asked "Have you had any conversations directly just with Kirk on this thing?":

"Not really, I haven’t talked to him not about whether he should or shouldn’t get vaccinated I’ve talked to him about some of the protocols which he doesn’t believe in."

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Couldn't that lead to another strike season?

As someone who has been vaccinated since January, I'm glad they aren't mandating a vaccine.

If teams start punishing players when there isn’t a vaccine requirement, then yes they should strike. If the NFL wants to demand a vaccine requirement, they need to work that out with the players union. I won’t be paying attention to the Vikes during a strike season, that’s for sure. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If teams start punishing players when there isn’t a vaccine requirement, then yes they should strike. If the NFL wants to demand a vaccine requirement, they need to work that out with the players union. I won’t be paying attention to the Vikes during a strike season, that’s for sure. 

Well, the odds on them striking over something like this are pretty slim, especially since they really have nothing to gain and a lot to lose.  And it depends upon what you define as "punishment", everyone can guarantee that there'll be players who will be cut simply because the player they are battling with for a spot is vaccinated and they aren't.  But, it's a whole other thing to try and prove it.

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, the odds on them striking over something like this are pretty slim, especially since they really have nothing to gain and a lot to lose.  And it depends upon what you define as "punishment", everyone can guarantee that there'll be players who will be cut simply because the player they are battling with for a spot is vaccinated and they aren't.  But, it's a whole other thing to try and prove it.

A few instances of released unvaxxed players will be hard to prove, I agree with that. Though if it’s a trend league wide, couldn’t they come together and make the same collusion claims Colin K made?

I don’t think the league has any direct punishment for players without the NFLPA signing off on it. Teams can and will surely be punished though.  

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

A few instances of released unvaxxed players will be hard to prove, I agree with that. Though if it’s a trend league wide, couldn’t they come together and make the same collusion claims Colin K made?

I don’t think the league has any direct punishment for players without the NFLPA signing off on it. Teams can and will surely be punished though.  

There’s roughly 300 players league wide who have not been vaccinated. There are going to be nearly 1,200 players cut at the end of the preseason. 

Even if every unvaccinated player were to get cut (which obviously won’t happen), good luck proving that it was a reason when 3x more vaccinated players were also cut. 

Kirk Cousins is the 15th highest paid player in the NFL at $21 mil this next year.  

Craziest thing is Tyler Lockett on Seattle is the 12th highest paid player at $22.2 mil next year, Russell Wilson is 25th at $19 mil next year.

Goff is 5th at $25.7 mil, Tom Brady is 3rd at 27.5 mil and Trent Williams is 2nd at $32.3 mil and 1st is Dak Prescott at $75 mil which is clearly deceptive and making up for lost time of all those years at that much smaller contract, also is because $66 mil of that contract was a signing bonus and is included in how much he makes this year.  

Still the most nuts thing on that list is Tyler Lockett, he is good but not sure he is that good.  He made one Pro bowl/All Pro team and that was in 2015.  Only other Viking on the list was Dalvin Tomlinson at 47th making around $16 mil next year, list went to 50 players.  

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Kirk Cousins is the 15th highest paid player in the NFL at $21 mil this next year.  

Craziest thing is Tyler Lockett on Seattle is the 12th highest paid player at $22.2 mil next year, Russell Wilson is 25th at $19 mil next year.

Goff is 5th at $25.7 mil, Tom Brady is 3rd at 27.5 mil and Trent Williams is 2nd at $32.3 mil and 1st is Dak Prescott at $75 mil which is clearly deceptive and making up for lost time of all those years at that much smaller contract, also is because $66 mil of that contract was a signing bonus and is included in how much he makes this year.  

Still the most nuts thing on that list is Tyler Lockett, he is good but not sure he is that good.  He made one Pro bowl/All Pro team and that was in 2015.  Only other Viking on the list was Dalvin Tomlinson at 47th making around $16 mil next year, list went to 50 players.  

Looking at the numbers this way is entirely deceptive. 

Cousins might have $21M this year but it's $45M next year. 

• Like 1