Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

52 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Operating under the assumption that both players revert to the IR, they will have to wait a minimum of three games before they can play for the team again.

This is not accurate. Players that get put on IR before the official cut down day are not eligible to return during the season. 

Edited by SemperFeist

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Weatherly plays the run better than Wonnum.  Griffin rushes much better than both, and probably is a little better than Weatherly vs. the run.  But remember, he'll be playing at 33 years old this season.  So, he shouldn't be in for all 3 downs.  Weatherly can alternate with Wonnum and Jones on 1st Down.  Griffin can handle 3rd Downs, and be relieved by Jones and Robinson when he's tired.  Griffin assures The Vikings of having at least 3 very good rushers in at all times, plus Pierce, or Tomlinson, getting pressure at NT at the same time, EVEN if one of the regular 5 DL gets hurt.  This will really solidify the DL.  Wonnum is still inconsistent right now.  Jones and Robinson will still get reps.  Older players need rest in a long (17-game) season.

Griffin WILL definitely be signed.  The "tryout" is just a formality.  The decision has already been made.  I don't see any problems between him and Kirk.  BOTH of them want The Vikings to win.  Griffin being with them might win one or two extra games (QB pressure is crucial).  That might be the difference between making The Playoffs, or not, or winning The Division, or not-which really make a difference in playoff seeding).  People say stupid things sometimes.  Griff is sorry.  ANYONE would be in his shoes.  it won't be an issue.

The team isn’t likely going to keep 6 defensive ends, especially when no one is hurt. 

Weatherly is nothing special. He’s not very good against the run, and he’s mediocre, at best, rushing the passer. The only reason it made sense to bring him back was that he knew the system and could be relied on to execute his assignments. But nothing about his contract ever suggested that he wasn’t replaceable. I was surprised, and disappointed, that they chose to bring back Weatherly over Odenigbo. But, ultimately it wasn’t that big of a deal. 

Had the Vikings drafted an edge rusher in the 1st round, I don’t think Weatherly would be any where close to a competition spot for the starting job. The fact that Wonnum seems to have developed quickly, and become a player that the coaches are considering starting shows to me that they no longer need a player like Weatherly.

Start Griffen. Start Wonnum. Start Jones II. It’s really doesn’t matter. They are all going to get a significant amount of playing time. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Johnny Townsend a young punter from Florida was cut by the Ravens.  Vikings should maybe bring him in if Colquitt is giving them problems and have them battle it out.  

I hesitate ever taking another special teams player from the Ravens after that last fiasco.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I hesitate ever taking another special teams player from the Ravens after that last fiasco.  

I’m the opposite. I’ll never trade anything for a player, but the Ravens have one of the best special teams evaluations in the league. I’d bring any one of their prospects in for a workout. 

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m the opposite. I’ll never trade anything for a player, but the Ravens have one of the best special teams evaluations in the league. I’d bring any one of their prospects in for a workout. 

Yup. It's the curse of the Vikings when it comes to special teamers. We could get Justin Tucker, and the second he put on a Vikings' jersey, he'd start shanking kicks. 

13 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I cannot say I am a fan of bringing in a player who essentially threw a tantrum over something as insignificant as being called good last year not what I want our young guys learning from.

Add in declining run defense and his jumping offsides I don't feel he produces enough for all these negatives.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Oh I know that, especially since their HC's specialty is special teams, but I'd still hesitate just because of our record with STs over the Zimmer tenure, which seem have gotten worse over time.