Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

In his previous role as manager of football research and development for the 49ers from 2020-21, Washington managed and oversaw the department's efforts in optimization and process improvement and developed predictive and statistical analysis for player evaluation, acquisition and strategy.

Prior to his role as manager of football research and development, he served as the 49ers analyst for the football research and development department from 2015-20, where he worked alongside Adofo-Mensah. Washington got his start in the NFL as a game charter intern for the Cleveland Browns from 2013-15.

Mensah: "We couldn't be more excited to have Demitrius join the Vikings front office. He is one of the most uniquely gifted people I have met in my time in the NFL. He is able to learn complex ideas, make them simple, and apply them in all facets of the organization. He has learned from some of the best minds in the game today and he will continue to flourish in his role with Vikings."

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-hire-demitrius-washington-as-vice-president-of-football-operations?fbclid=IwAR3cUgKE4sXbAGkAtPN4AUlfzR4b1Mbib91VEbpWR9yyh9zXhJ_6tZdiP0c

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

Based on followup articles, it appears that this guy is also an analytics expert, so it looks like we're going "all-in" on analytics in this organization.  We'll see how it works out.  

Super unimpressed so far but I think success largely hinges on finding a legit franchise QB. So I’d wager that to be unlikely at best based on the Vikes lack of lucking into something like that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

So I’d wager that to be unlikely at best based on the Vikes lack of lucking into something like that. 

Luck always plays a part in it, unless your franchise is so bad that you get multiple cracks at it.  I'd like to say that it's been fortunate that we haven't been one of those franchises.  I'll take the heartbreak over the perennial loser, ala the Lions, Jets or Jaguars.

• Like 1

Free agency's largely behind us. The 2022 NFL Draft is fully in the rearview. The schedule is set. So, it's time for an annual May exercise in this space ...

Ranking dark-horse MVP candidates!

8 Justin Jefferson Minnesota Vikings · WR

MVP odds: 125-1

Perhaps the Vikings receiver doesn't get enough credit for being one of the truly elite offensive players in the game today. If so, that's a shame. I've voted him first-team All-Pro in both of his NFL seasons. I mean, look at this production:

Year 1: 88 catches for 1,400 yards and seven touchdowns.

Year 2: 108 catches for 1,616 yards and 10 touchdowns.

And he's done that with a quarterback who doesn't always play well when the sun goes down and a running back who doesn't always play.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-mvp-dark-horses-derek-carr-justin-jefferson-tua-tagovailoa-among-sleepe

20 hours ago, swede700 said:

JJ is amazing, but no wide receiver is ever winning the MVP award. Cooper Kupp was the first WR to even get a vote for MVP since Moss in 1998.

I think Jefferson would have to have 130 catches, 2000+ yards, 15 TDs, and the Vikings would have to be nearly undefeated for him to even get multiple votes. 

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

JJ is amazing, but no wide receiver is ever winning the MVP award. Cooper Kupp was the first WR to even get a vote for MVP since Moss in 1998.

I think Jefferson would have to have 130 catches, 2000+ yards, 15 TDs, and the Vikings would have to be nearly undefeated for him to even get multiple votes. 

Agreed.  It's virtually impossible for a WR to ever get the award.  Personally, I think they should just do away with that award since the QB is always going to be the most valuable since they are the only ones to touch the ball on every play (outside of the center snapping it to him).  They should just build off something like the All-Pro Teams and just have something like the most valuable players at various position groups (QB, RB/WR/TE, OL, DL/LB, Secondary) and you could just name them after HOF players, kinda like they do at the college level.  

• Like 1

Eric Kendricks is feeling a different emotion with the new Minnesota coaching staff. Typically, teams that fire one coach look for someone who is in many respects the exact opposite of the last one.

Kendricks: “I’m real excited about the staff. Everybody’s been on board, everybody’s been communicating very well. . . We have this amazing opportunity ahead of us again. . . . Whatever happened last year is in the past and we have to move forward. We can learn from a lot of things, but we also have to adapt and change with the new year.”

“Just having that bridge of communication with [ownership] and the management as well, I feel like it’s not really common. I’ve talked to players around the league and they don’t really have that communication with their ownership.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/18/after-fear-based-approach-under-mike-zimmer-eric-kendricks-is-happy-with-new-vikings-direction/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...