Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Mullens joins the Vikings via trade from the Las Vegas Raiders, who signed him as a free agent on April 1, 2022. The fifth-year pro has appeared in 20 career games with 17 starts, completing 407 of 630 attempts for 4,861 yards with 26 touchdowns against 22 interceptions for a passer rating of 87.3. In 2021, Mullens appeared in one game with the Cleveland Browns in which he started and compiled a 147.0 passer rating on 20-of-30 passing for 147 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions.

Mullens initially entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the San Francisco 49ers in 2017, where he remained through the 2020 season. In addition to the 49ers, Browns and Raiders, Mullens had a stint with the Philadelphia Eagles during the 2021 offseason and training camp. Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was with Mullens in both San Francisco and Cleveland.

https://www.vikings.com/news/nick-mullens-trade-quarterback-roster-moves?fbclid=IwAR19JSaBff6wrvHfFflFVshOCPL-M7aXBv3jAQD1JJE2NT3amg1azPc8KcQ

This seems like a good move for the Vikings.  I was in Cleveland this past weekend (this is where my wife's family is from) and saw the Eagles play the Browns.  Minshew played most of the game for Philly and looked really good.  Josh Dobbs played most of the game for Cleveland, and surprisingly looked good for being out of the league for two years.  I was thinking that the Vikings could put feelers out for Dobbs, but Mullins seems like a good pickup.

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You have faith in Daronte Jones?   A guy who was only a DB coach for the Vikings for one season?  He was a coach on Hawaii for one year, DB coach on Wisconsin for one year, assistant DB coach for Miami Dolphins two years, CB coach for Bengals two years then Vikings 1 year and then LSU DC one year then back to the Vikings.  Not an amazing track record and bounces around a lot, that would not happen that much if he was that great.

Jerry Gray bounced around a lot too early in his career and last I checked, he was a pretty darn good DB coach.   Sometimes, it about the opportunities that a coach gets.  Looking at Jones' career, he got offered a job by Gase in Miami, which is why he left the Badgers, got promoted to CB coach by Marvin Lewis, retained by Zac for his first year, but then got offered the full-time DB job by Zimmer (not just CB), and only left for LSU after 1 year because he got offered the DC job at LSU, but then the HC there lost his job.  

So yes, I have faith in Daronte Jones.  I liked the job he did with the DBs in that 1 year for the Vikings.  It may be misguided faith to you, but he has gradually progressed throughout his career.  It may have taken a lot of detours, but he's moved up the ranks as he's gone along.  And that happens with some coaches...not every good coach is going to shoot up the ladder like a Kevin O'Connell...often it's about being in the right place at the right time, with the right people. 

1 hour ago, Nzd07 said:

Interesting that this "Offensive-Minded" coaching staff also doesn't seem to like Mond... so many of our fans were just quick to assume Zimmer was being "unfair" to Mond because he doesn't "know how to coach Offense."

I think it was more the way Zim went around it. In the work place you don't openly scold / dump on your colleagues that aren't great at their job.

They are professionals and as a coach how successful a player is is partly your fault.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

Jerry Gray bounced around a lot too early in his career and last I checked, he was a pretty darn good DB coach.   Sometimes, it about the opportunities that a coach gets.  Looking at Jones' career, he got offered a job by Gase in Miami, which is why he left the Badgers, got promoted to CB coach by Marvin Lewis, retained by Zac for his first year, but then got offered the full-time DB job by Zimmer (not just CB), and only left for LSU after 1 year because he got offered the DC job at LSU, but then the HC there lost his job.  

So yes, I have faith in Daronte Jones.  I liked the job he did with the DBs in that 1 year for the Vikings.  It may be misguided faith to you, but he has gradually progressed throughout his career.  It may have taken a lot of detours, but he's moved up the ranks as he's gone along.  And that happens with some coaches...not every good coach is going to shoot up the ladder like a Kevin O'Connell...often it's about being in the right place at the right time, with the right people. 

How many All Pro or Pro bowl corners has he coached?

Sure that team had injuries but as the DC that LSU defense last year was one of the worst they had in at least 10 years, and the backups who still had talent looked awful out there at CB.

On the Bengals he coached Dre Kirkpatrick, Darqueze Dennard, Darius Phillips, William Jackson.  Jackson the only one who is still kind of good, the rest all flamed out or are not very good at all and just hanging on.  On the Dolphins as the assistant DB coach he had Tony Lippett, Byron Maxwell, Xavier Howard, Reshaun Jones, TJ McDonald, Cordrea Tankersley and Is Abdul-Quddus etc.  Xavier Howard is a super star and still is but the rest are all nothing or straight out of the league.  

You take all the movement as moving up, I take it as if he was so good why would they just let him go?  Why did the Bengals just let him go?  Minnesota got him because they had no one else and their DB coach left in 2020 and now again new staff with no DB coach.  As for Jerry Gray, he was the Vikings DB coach for five years, and well before that he was the DC at Buffalo for 4 years, sure he had some one year stops but not that many.  Starting in 2010 as a graduate assistant Daronte Jones has never been a place for 4 years in a row in that time span, so over 12 years of 1 or 2 year stops mostly.  

Hopefully he does well but based on his track record he is not some amazing DB coach, if the D is good it is because of the coordinator Donatell and the LB coach and assistant head coach, not because of Daronte Jones.  Either way they need bodies and he is not a great enough DB coach to just make guys good at the position but will see.  

48 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

I saw that, surprised Hand was cut before Nickerson and Hairston but I assume they are hoping one can be the backup slot corner but doubt that and both will probably be cut.  Hand is a longer corner and Evans is clearly better than he is so not an awful move, but with Booth on IR they are one more injury away from some major issues.  

Patrick Peterson
Cam Dantzler
Andrew Booth
Akayleb Evans
Chandon Sullivan
Kris Boyd
Nate Hairston
Parry Nickerson

Has Kris Boyd played this preseason?  I do not recall seeing him out there doing much if he has.  

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I saw that, surprised Hand was cut before Nickerson and Hairston but I assume they are hoping one can be the backup slot corner but doubt that and both will probably be cut.  Hand is a longer corner and Evans is clearly better than he is so not an awful move, but with Booth on IR they are one more injury away from some major issues.  

Patrick Peterson
Cam Dantzler
Andrew Booth
Akayleb Evans
Chandon Sullivan
Kris Boyd
Nate Hairston
Parry Nickerson

Has Kris Boyd played this preseason?  I do not recall seeing him out there doing much if he has.  

Booth isn't on IR where did you hear that?

That's the last thing I've heard regarding Booth's status.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You have faith in Daronte Jones?   A guy who was only a DB coach for the Vikings for one season?  He was a coach on Hawaii for one year, DB coach on Wisconsin for one year, assistant DB coach for Miami Dolphins two years, CB coach for Bengals two years then Vikings 1 year and then LSU DC one year then back to the Vikings.  Not an amazing track record and bounces around a lot, that would not happen that much if he was that great.

I am also not worried about Jones "bouncing" around a lot.  It's the life of a position coach in football.  I think that the secondary will benefit from the improved d-line and the 3-4 scheme.  None of the CB's currently under contract are likely to become All Pro's or Hall of Famers.  Yet if they can be competent, I think the defense will be much improved.

11 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

Booth isn't on IR where did you hear that?

That's the last thing I've heard regarding Booth's status.

"I haven’t played healthy football since like high school,” Booth said. “So the surgery I just had, that was something from before sophomore year and I got it fixed, and then it didn’t really do well and I got it again recently. But yeah, to say the least I did play through injuries. That’s why it’s like – you kind of have a chip now."  

I hope it was just some random small thing but I doubt it, and ankles when they are hurt get hurt again especially if they were rolled over.  But yeah sure hope he is healthy all season but there is almost zero chance that happens.  

10 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I am also not worried about Jones "bouncing" around a lot.  It's the life of a position coach in football.  I think that the secondary will benefit from the improved d-line and the 3-4 scheme.  None of the CB's currently under contract are likely to become All Pro's or Hall of Famers.  Yet if they can be competent, I think the defense will be much improved.

Sure the defense overall will be improved, if it is not.... then Cine is sucking out there and Z.Smith is overrated and Hunter gets hurt again....  But yeah with the supposed improvements at safety and in the pass rush and DL it should be a good group and improved group.  Still they have no one that can follow around slot receivers in the NFL and hang with them athletically in terms of quickness and change of direction.  And it seems almost every NFL team has guys like that and it could be a big problem, will see.