Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

My best guess is that they'll just pick up someone in the draft next year who can fill that Mattison role, and then may split the carries with Chandler or Nwangwu in 2024.  

My best guess is the analytics would suggest moving on from an aging and injury prone RB, no matter how talented. If Kwesi is following the analytics on this one, I’m inclined to believe it will be Mattison and Chandler as a 1:2 punch. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

My best guess is the analytics would suggest moving on from an aging and injury prone RB, no matter how talented. If Kwesi is following the analytics on this one, I’m inclined to believe it will be Mattison and Chandler as a 1:2 punch. 

I would find it difficult for them to take the $6M cap hit cutting Cook only to resign Mattison for approximately the same amount (it may not be that much, but Chase Edmonds did get that)...you may as well keep Cook.  You're only saving a couple of million dollars, which probably ain't going to get you very far.   

Here are #s 9-28.

9. RB – Alexander Mattison (69.5)
10. LG – Ezra Cleveland (68.7)
11. WR – Justin Jefferson (68.5)
12. RB – Dalvin Cook (67.1)
13. WR – Adam Thielen (66.5)
14. FS – Camryn Bynum (65.7)
15. WR – K.J. Osborn (65.5)
16. NT – Harrison Phillips (65.1)
17. SS – Harrison Smith (64.9)
18. TE – Johnny Mundt (63.6)
19. LB – Eric Kendricks (62.0)
20. CB – Patrick Peterson (61.5)
21. FB – C.J. Ham (59.9)
22. TE – Irv Smith (59.4)
23. DL – Jonathan Bullard (58.1)
24. CB – Cameron Dantzler (58.0)
25. CB – Chandon Sullivan (56.6)
26. RG – Ed Ingram (56.2)
27. EDGE – D.J. Wonnum (55.2)
28. LB – Jordan Hicks (55.1)

It's PFF, and three games is a small sample size, but there are definitely some surprises. Overall the scores are fairly low. Hopefully players get settled into the new schemes, etc. before too long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I would find it difficult for them to take the $6M cap hit cutting Cook only to resign Mattison for approximately the same amount (it may not be that much, but Chase Edmonds did get that)...you may as well keep Cook.  You're only saving a couple of million dollars, which probably ain't going to get you very far.   

It all adds up. The bigger question is who will be the better player in 2023 and beyond considering injury history and mileage. That may not necessarily favor Cook and if there is cap savings to be had, granted, not much, it’s worth considering. We’re already talking about Cook being injured and it’s week 4. Would I rather pay Cook or Mattison $6m in 2023, I think this season could guide us to the answer. Maybe the answer is neither and draft someone considering the OL is doing a pretty good job. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The little things that turn close losses last year into close wins this year.

this is exactly the point.

we're playing sloppy and that's disappointing to fans. but last year we played sloppy and would lose, this year at least we're eking out the win.

this is what OC says in his locker room after the game speeches, that they're learning how to play together and coach together and it's going to get better over time.

• Like 1