Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

8 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Eric didn't really think it through but whatever.

While I don't necessarily agree with it, it's something a little different.  How funny would it be that, in the end, A-Rodg stays in GB, but the Vikings actually traded Kirko...not gonna happen, but it's a talker...

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While I don't necessarily agree with it, it's something a little different.  How funny would it be that, in the end, A-Rodg stays in GB, but the Vikings actually traded Kirko...not gonna happen, but it's a talker...

The AT/HS post 6/1 designations puzzles me when they need the cap space now. Cutting the players he mentioned above AT/HS only puts them at 975k ABOVE the cap. And then you expect them to work on and complete big time extensions for those players within the next 3 weeks?

No, AT and HS need to be addressed now. Their cap hits can't wait if they want the space to improve the team a bit come March. 

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

The AT/HS post 6/1 designations puzzles me when they need the cap space now. Cutting the players he mentioned above AT/HS only puts them at 975k ABOVE the cap. And then you expect them to work on and complete big time extensions for those players within the next 3 weeks?

No, AT and HS need to be addressed now. Their cap hits can't wait if they want the space to improve the team a bit come March. 

Yeah, I was a little puzzled by that, since all the significant FAs would be gone by 6/1 when the cap space actually could be freed up under those decisions.  

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yeah, I was a little puzzled by that, since all the significant FAs would be gone by 6/1 when the cap space actually could be freed up under those decisions.  

Vikings already know this; evidenced by AT negotiating through the media the past couple of weeks. They know they need to take care of those two cap hits now, not later. 

So that's why I dont really agree with Eric here. Eric is a smart dude, but he's incredibly condescending on twitter, and basically his way is the only right way to do things. 

"My Plan would be"

-Play Cousins on the current contract/number & hope he doesn't make noise about another extension
-Only entertain trading Kirk, if that is something that he brings up, but even so, very strict parameters and timelines for this (example: compensation needs to be XY, and be agreed by "March 5th")
-Extend Hunter, Hock, Z Smith, Harrison (or trade for value)
-Retain Duke Shelly
-Don't Retain Cook, Kendricks, Ham, Hicks, Thielen (none are post June 1 cuts)
-See what Dalvin Tomlinson's figure is compared to other FAs
-Possibly add a QB early, else draft WR/C, and do not trade back in the draft (from #23)

Edited by CriminalMind

On 12/15/2022 at 12:15 PM, swede700 said:

Updated 2023 opponents:

Home:  Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, LA Chargers, San Francisco 

Road:  Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Atlanta, Carolina, Denver, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Cincinnati 

2nd — Time facing all four conference championship game participants

For just the second time since the 1970 NFL merger, the Vikings will play against every team that participated in the previous conference championship games. Minnesota faced all four of the 1983 teams in 1984 (Raiders, Seahawks, 49ers and Commanders).

Note: The Vikings followed playing in the 1977 NFC Championship against the Cowboys by facing Dallas and the AFC Championship Game participants (Broncos and Raiders) in 1978.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-opponents-by-the-numbers

Not to be the Debbie Downer, but 1984 was the Les Steckel year when they went 3-13.  They were fairly competitive against the Raiders and Seahawks, but later in the season, lost to the Redskins by 2 TDs and got throttled by the Niners 51-7.  They lost 7 games that season by 2 TDs or more, and 6 of those were after their last win of the season in Week 10., which tells you how they just quit on Les.    

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

To be fair, I really only seeing the noise publicly coming from the media. I can't see the situation where he is way out of his way demanding a contract.

But if Minny says to him we’re comfortable playing out the contract you signed with us and we’ll circle back in one year. What does Kirk do/respond with? 

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

But if Minny says to him we’re comfortable playing out the contract you signed with us and we’ll circle back in one year. What does Kirk do/respond with? 

He plays it out because he knows he’ll get paid on the open market next season. Do you really expect him to take some aggressive stance in the media or alienate his teammates or the fan base? He went through the same sort of thing in Washington and was nothing but the consummate professional. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

He plays it out because he knows he’ll get paid on the open market next season. Do you really expect him to take some aggressive stance in the media or alienate his teammates or the fan base? He went through the same sort of thing in Washington and was nothing but the consummate professional. 

I hope this is the case. 
however, I’m not sure if Kirk’s camp will want to play effectively on a final year of a deal coming off ‘statistically his best year’ especially at his age now. 

38 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I hope this is the case. 
however, I’m not sure if Kirk’s camp will want to play effectively on a final year of a deal coming off ‘statistically his best year’ especially at his age now. 

Well we won’t have to worry about it, because he’ll be extended before the draft.