Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

21 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

KJ Osborn hitting ~800 yards and ~5-8 TDs as a #3 option behind JJ and Hock will set him up nicely. Young, consistent, growth year to year - some team (if not the Vikings) will want to see if there's more there.

Even Thielen is making what $10 million this year. You put those two against each other in free agency, Osborn easily gets a better deal. He’s younger, has more potential and is coming off his best season to date. $10-12m per year is very reasonable. Vikes will be in a better cap situation next year but also need to extend Hock and Jefferson. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

KJ Osborn hitting ~800 yards and ~5-8 TDs as a #3 option behind JJ and Hock will set him up nicely. Young, consistent, growth year to year - some team (if not the Vikings) will want to see if there's more there.

Osborn had 17 fewer targets than Thielen and 10 fewer receptions. He only had one less TD than Thielen. He averaged about a half yard more per catch, and he's ascending. In fact, he seemed to outpace and outplay Thielen after Hockenson arrived. Those numbers are absolutely attainable. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Osborn had 17 fewer targets than Thielen and 10 fewer receptions. He only had one less TD than Thielen. He averaged about a half yard more per catch, and he's ascending. In fact, he seemed to outpace and outplay Thielen after Hockenson arrived. Those numbers are absolutely attainable. 

If Cook isn’t here either, does that give the receivers more opportunities as well? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

you have one half of vikings fan thinking Osborn will get 12-15m next year, then you have another half saying we NEED A WR2 DESPERATELY! 

those two thoughts cannot go together. 

Teams in free agency buy on potential. I don’t think we need to replace Osborn as the #2 now, but even if we did, it improves the talent and depth on the team. Could also argue we need a #2 desperately in the draft given the implications of potentially losing Osborn next year. Having two highly paid receivers already in Jefferson and Hock might mean we need a rookie WR contract at the #2 spot for a few years.

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

you have one half of vikings fan thinking Osborn will get 12-15m next year, then you have another half saying we NEED A WR2 DESPERATELY! 

those two thoughts cannot go together. 

Right. And I’m in the camp that Osborn is fine as a #2 and what we need is a deep threat that can expand the field for Jefferson. That doesn’t have to be a guy like Jeudy. It can be a cheaper #3 option or it can be a guy we find in the draft to become a #2 to supplant Osborn when his 2nd contract comes due. 

• Like 3

Just now, mattyice0401 said:

Doesnt Jalen Nailor have the potential to become the deep threat for this team?

I think he's got more potential as a well rounded receiver than being a burner/deep threat. That bodes well for him since that's what the offense is shaping up to support.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

I think he's got more potential as a well rounded receiver than being a burner/deep threat. That bodes well for him since that's what the offense is shaping up to support.

I just feel like that type of player is already in house with Nailor and hopefully Reagor. Now we shouldnt pigeon hole ourselves into thinking that all Nailor can be because he could be more but for this year that could be his role.  I can see us taking a developmental type of WR in the later rounds, i just cant see us taking a WR in round 1 this year even if i want it.

4 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I just feel like that type of player is already in house with Nailor and hopefully Reagor. Now we shouldnt pigeon hole ourselves into thinking that all Nailor can be because he could be more but for this year that could be his role.  I can see us taking a developmental type of WR in the later rounds, i just cant see us taking a WR in round 1 this year even if i want it.

I think that's what the team wants, to be honest. I've talked about this in other threads, but the offense is really designed on creating separation and misdirection. Guys that have well rounded skill sets are able to be deployed in any formation and keeps the defense guessing. Think about the Rams SB run and the 49ers last year - no burners, but guys that were able to beat coverages through scheme and route running.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I think that's what the team wants, to be honest. I've talked about this in other threads, but the offense is really designed on creating separation and misdirection. Guys that have well rounded skill sets are able to be deployed in any formation and keeps the defense guessing. Think about the Rams SB run and the 49ers last year - no burners, but guys that were able to beat coverages through scheme and route running.

Brandon Aiyuk is a burner…

23 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Yeah, he's worth giving a new deal to. I think he'll test Free Agency though and see how much he can make or have to fight to be WR2.