Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

I for sure thought the Vikings would target a dedicated slot guy in free agency.

But what if.....what if the plan is to make Cam Bynum the slot/hybrid safety guy? I think they want Cine on the field, they want him to take that starting leap. Then you still have Harrison back there. Bynum was a CB convert from college; not projected to boundary CB in the NFL due to lack of long speed.

I feel like this is where there head is heading; especially with Murphy having inside ability as well. They might believe they are covered there.

This what I choose to believe.

9 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I for sure thought the Vikings would target a dedicated slot guy in free agency.

But what if.....what if the plan is to make Cam Bynum the slot/hybrid safety guy? I think they want Cine on the field, they want him to take that starting leap. Then you still have Harrison back there. Bynum was a CB convert from college; not projected to boundary CB in the NFL due to lack of long speed.

I feel like this is where there head is heading; especially with Murphy having inside ability as well. They might believe they are covered there.

This what I choose to believe.

RDE - Dean Lowry

NT - Tonga

LDE - Harrison Phillips

OLB - Zadarius Smith/Marcus Davenport

ILB - Jordan Hicks

ILB - Brian Asamoah

OLB - Danielle Hunter

BCB - Byron Murphy

SS - Harrison Smith

FS - Lewis Cine

BCB - Akayleb Evans/Andrew Booth

They still need CB depth but this makes sense to me at the moment.

Then when they go in nickel, Tonga probably drops out. They are probably rushing more than 4; Harrison might drop to coverage LB, get bynum on the field? maybe another cb for coverage?

Edited by battle2heaven
added a bunch of thoughts
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Current base defense IMO

RDE - Dean Lowry

NT - Tonga

LDE - Harrison Phillips

OLB - Zadarius Smith/Marcus Davenport

ILB - Jordan HIcks

ILB - Brian Asamoah

OLB - Danielle Hunter

BCB - Byron Murphy

NCB - Cam Bynum

FS - Lewis Cine

BCB - Akayleb Evans/Andrew Booth

They still need CB depth but this makes sense to me at the moment.

You don’t think Harrison Smith will be on the field in base defense?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

It seems very strange to me that he accepted this type of contract as usually you go one year and attempt free agency again.

Why? He's a back up swing tackle. No team was looking at him to start for them, so he came back to a system he knows and an environment he already likes.

• Like 3

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

Well we could hit the over and just sneak in! 
I believe we were pretty low last year too right?

I'm a little more pessimistic right now and if I were a betting man (which I'm not), I'd be betting under.  I just see this team as a 7-10, 8-9 team right now.  Not that it can't win more, but they definitely are going to be relying on outscoring opponents moreso rather than getting key stops than they even have the past couple of years. 

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm a little more pessimistic right now and if I were a betting man (which I'm not), I'd be betting under.  I just see this team as a 7-10, 8-9 team right now.  Not that it can't win more, but they definitely are going to be relying on outscoring opponents moreso rather than getting key stops than they even have the past couple of years

I don't think anyone can confidently say that until we see how the defense is installed. The talent on the defense was better than it was utilized last year. If Flores can get more out of this group, they should be a better team than last year, even if they don't win 13 games again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't think anyone can confidently say that until we see how the defense is installed. The talent on the defense was better than it was utilized last year. If Flores can get more out of this group, they should be a better team than last year, even if they don't win 13 games again.

The defense wasn't utilized well last year, but it made more than a significant number of stops in the final few minutes of the games that resulted in wins when they probably shouldn't have.  I'm very skeptical that they could duplicate it again if needed, especially when the talent has decreased. 

Edited by swede700