Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm not a fan of Davenport, and he's not proven to be a schematic fit.  Lowry, while a fine player, isn't nearly as talented as Tomlinson.  And Murphy, while likely a better fit schematically, isn't the talent that P2 is and never will be.  I can only buy the argument of Asamoah over EK, but there's no guarantee he's a better fit than EK, because he's the same player physically, but he's younger. 

I only agree with you about Lowry (Murphy not being as talented as P2 means nothing if only one of them can play the kinds of coverage required), and I think you are going to be surprised at how much better the defense looks this year. I don't think they are going to be great, but I expect them to fall in the middle 3rd of the league with better coaching usage of personnel. An average to slightly below average defense with offensive continuity means they should be better as a team.

I don't think they will hit 13 wins again, because of luck and strength of schedule, but under 8.5 is low, imo.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They've gotten rid of aging veterans with players who aren't proven to be any better despite being younger.  I, for one, have stated that I'm taking the under.  I just don't think they'll be able to repeat the luck and their talent base on defense isn't better...if anything, they've gotten worse.  They may prove me wrong, but I just don't see it. 

I think 8.5 is fair. I’m hedging the under as well. But like you, I hope they prove me wrong. The optimist in me see’s a possibility of 10 wins, but that’s a stretch. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I share @JDBrocks optimism regarding the defense. I'm excited to see what Flores can do.

If clear improvement happens on defense, it'll be 2024, not 2023.  Miami's defense was horrendous his first year there (in fact, it was the worst in the NFL).  It took a year. 

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If clear improvement happens on defense, it'll be 2024, not 2023.  Miami's defense was horrendous his first year there (in fact, it was the worst in the NFL).  It took a year. 

Take a look at that roster... Not even remotely comparable.

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

*Lighten up Francis. ;) 

I think it will be extremely hard to repeat as the 30th - 32nd ranked defense in many categories again. Then again, perhaps we have different definitions of "clear improvement".

*Stripes movie reference for those who aren't aware. Great Bill Murray/Harold Ramis/John Candy film from 1981.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I think 8.5 is fair. I’m hedging the under as well. But like you, I hope they prove me wrong. The optimist in me see’s a possibility of 10 wins, but that’s a stretch. 

This. The D would have to be middle of the pack or better to get to 10 or more....unless they continue the luck streak.

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

*Lighten up Francis. ;) 

I think it will be extremely hard to repeat as the 30th - 32nd ranked defense in many categories again. Then again, perhaps we have different definitions of "clear improvement".

*Stripes movie reference for those who aren't aware. Great Bill Murray/Harold Ramis/John Candy film from 1981.

This team's defense has regressed every year since the 2017 season ended.  I don't think it's going to be that hard to repeat it, at least in 2023.  I'm optimistic about the long-term, but I'm not optimistic about this particular season. 

• Like 1

Just now, swede700 said:

This team's defense has regressed every year since the 2017 season ended.  I don't think it's going to be that hard to repeat it, at least in 2023.  I'm optimistic about the long-term, but I'm not optimistic about this particular season. 

So many question marks in the DB room. Old or injured describes all but one of them, I think. 

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's fair. I'm hoping we can crack the top 25 for most defensive categories.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Who is a key roster loss? They've gotten rid of aging veterans. 1 yard passes to TEs is still a bad joke/take (not sure which is which in your case).... what on earth are you talking about?

We lost key veterans. Even with their declining ability, I think their leadership loss will have some impact on the team.

The 1 yard passes are/were relevant to last season, as it happened quite a few times. If it continues into this season, it begins to be worrisome.

Things aren't all doom and gloom though. We have some depth to replace Thielen as the #2 WR and Asamoah will likely start at ILB. There is still plenty of good leaders on our squad, and the offense will likely evolve a bit with KOC having a full year under his belt.

I think projecting us at 8.5 wins is reasonable, but there is plenty of room for optimism too.

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

We lost key veterans. Even with their declining ability, I think their leadership loss will have some impact on the team.

The 1 yard passes are/were relevant to last season, as it happened quite a few times. If it continues into this season, it begins to be worrisome.

You cited key losses to the roster and the very next statement was about declining veterans. Which is it - do you want to keep veterans or get rid of them?

This 1 yard pass gag has got to go. It's not relevant, it's not funny. You could think of a ton of other reasons to worry about the Vikings not being good next year. That's hardly one to say that they're gonna be a sub .500 team because they throw too many 1 yard passes to the TE.

Lack of depth
Lack of draft capital
worries about interior OL pressure not getting resolved
how does the receiver room shape up without Thielen around?
are the young CBs ready to step up
Do the draft picks from last year fit into the new defensive scheme?
Do they have enough bodies to keep the DL fresh and competitive?

That took me like 2 minutes.

1 yard passes joke is dead. time to move on.

• Like 2