Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

14 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Sorry, that is just not the way it works at pretty much any level of football. 

That's the exception resulting from an injury that is expected to heal in a few days.  No need to follow the 'norm' because of the short term rehab for TH.

17 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

OK, QB3, if you are only counting QBs involved in practice with contact.  I assumed you knew TB was QB2 or QB3, despite not being involved in contact drills.

This is about practice. Teddy is not practicing with the team, so he's not in the discussion at this point.

1st-team QB: Bradford
2nd-team QB: Keenum
3rd-team QB: Heinicke

Heinicke is hurt, so they needed another 3rd-team QB. It wouldn't work to make the 3rd-team RB also be the 3rd-team QB, which is why Leidner was brought in. Especially when that RB's stellar college QB career was completing 28 of 66 passes.

24 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

That's the exception resulting from an injury that is expected to heal in a few days.  No need to follow the 'norm' because of the short term rehab for TH.

It is about practice and practice reps. A team can't run a practice properly with only two QBs. And it doesn't make sense to pull a guy from a different position (where he needs to work) to provide reps at a different position. Especially when it is easy to bring in someone who can provide more quality reps at the QB position than converting a RB. 

19 hours ago, Klomp said:

This is about practice. Teddy is not practicing with the team, so he's not in the discussion at this point.

1st-team QB: Bradford
2nd-team QB: Keenum
3rd-team QB: Heinicke

Heinicke is hurt, so they needed another 3rd-team QB. It wouldn't work to make the 3rd-team RB also be the 3rd-team QB, which is why Leidner was brought in. Especially when that RB's stellar college QB career was completing 28 of 66 passes.

Yes, practice is a different set of QBs.   Two true QBs would run teams 1, 2.  How much value there is in running a third team is debatable, and how much practice they get is unknown to me, but I don't think there is much of either.  So, signing a street QB doesn't seem as worthwhile as watching the 3rd string OL, RB, and WRs... where depth may be needed late in the year.  Needing to sign QB#4 off the street during the season would mean the season is over.  I don't think McKinnon is an ideal QB#3, but for limited practice of unit 3, he could fill the bill without losing much practice time at RB.  Just my opinion.  Nothing against the street free agent QB.

Preseason they run plenty of 3rd team drills. Hard for any of the bottom of the roster guys to get in there and learn plays without it.

Also you are looking for a scout team QB. Usually the job of the practice squad QB during the regular season

Thirdly if Keenum was to get hurt with a serious injury there is no sense to throw out our RB in a game to just try and run the triple option/wildcat during preseason games with guys who are just trying to make some roster on a team. A lot of these guys might not make the roster with the Vikings, but do have a shot to make another roster/PS later in the season.

Lastly, ankle injuries can be bothersome to players. Murray goes down, McKinnon is RB2 for sure. McKinnon even being RB 3, will still see a decent amount of time each game during the week. No sense of throwing him out there longer chancing him to get hurt playing against the bottom of the roster guys. Just give the street free agent guy a shot at some playing time. McKinnon should just be used as an emergency type QB in the regular season.

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

Yes, practice is a different set of QBs.   Two true QBs would run teams 1, 2.  How much value there is in running a third team is debatable, and how much practice they get is unknown to me, but I don't think there is much of either.  So, signing a street QB doesn't seem as worthwhile as watching the 3rd string OL, RB, and WRs... where depth may be needed late in the year.  Needing to sign QB#4 off the street during the season would mean the season is over.  I don't think McKinnon is an ideal QB#3, but for limited practice of unit 3, he could fill the bill without losing much practice time at RB.  Just my opinion.  Nothing against the street free agent QB.

Who has said anything about signing a QB4 during the season? And how can you properly evaluate the third-team OL, RB and WRs when you have a RB trying to play QB on the third team? It just doesn't make sense.

7 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Did anyone else read this?

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/8/20/16176930/is-tj-clemmings-on-the-way-out

Pretty odd that he was a healthy scratch for a preseason game.  Perhaps he is on the trade block?

I think the threshold has been met with Clemmings of draft position vs play quality vs potential. At this point, he hasn't even shown to be a reliable backup or pinch starter at any position. While he had some higher grades in the draft process, he still was a 4th round pick, and having been in the league for several years now without much positive progression, it is completely reasonable to view him as a potential cut. When players like Isidora are starting to lap him as interior depth, and guys like Rashod Hill, Willie Beavers, and Reid Fragel are passing you up as tackle depth, then you would have to expect that it isn't worth the team's time or money to keep him around to hope he develops to his previously conceived future potential.

5 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I think the threshold has been met with Clemmings of draft position vs play quality vs potential. At this point, he hasn't even shown to be a reliable backup or pinch starter at any position. While he had some higher grades in the draft process, he still was a 4th round pick, and having been in the league for several years now without much positive progression, it is completely reasonable to view him as a potential cut. When players like Isidora are starting to lap him as interior depth, and guys like Rashod Hill, Willie Beavers, and Reid Fragel are passing you up as tackle depth, then you would have to expect that it isn't worth the team's time or money to keep him around to hope he develops to his previously conceived future potential.

Would also add that he was drafted to play under an OC and OL coach that are both no longer here. Shurmur and Sparano didn't bring him in. If they have guys that they prefer over him, they shouldn't keep him just because he was viewed to have potential three years ago in a different scheme.

14 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Clemmings has pretty much zero trade value. If a team who has a poor OL is trying to trade you, you know the product is not good, and will likely be a camp cut.

I agree, Clemmings is worthless at this point. He's a fringe player and didn't even see the field in the second preseason game. He'll be lucky to catch on elsewhere and stick.