Jump to content
Alex

Jatavis Brown?

Recommended Posts

Hello, Steelers fan here.

As you guys are aware; we lost Ryan Shazier, maybe he won't return at all. 

One of our favorite draft "gem" we wanted to get years ago was Jatavis Brown, I still haven't forgotten him. I recalled he was #2 rookie LB behind Deion Buchanan (according to PFF) and it was my understanding he's a bad fit for the current scheme. 

I'm just wondering if you guys knew something and entertaining a thought:

Will Jatavis Brown be let go? If no, okay next question-

If a trade is possible, what pick do you think the Steelers can trade him for? round or player?

I would appreciate your feedback, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd imagine we'll hold onto him through training camp and see if he progresses. 

Wouldn't shock me if he was traded for a conditional 7th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

I'd imagine we'll hold onto him through training camp and see if he progresses. 

Wouldn't shock me if he was traded for a conditional 7th.

It'd shock me if they traded him pre-draft.  He's only two years into his rookie deal and it's not like he's not contributing on ST's.  The guy's a 5th round pick, it shouldn't shock people if all he amounts to is a role-player in the end.  But he's still a valuable role-player.  I just think right now he's lost the status as someone that they team will "draft around" (i.e. they're not going to shine a player they think can fill the position better solely because they have Jatavis).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The LBC said:

It'd shock me if they traded him pre-draft.  He's only two years into his rookie deal and it's not like he's not contributing on ST's.  The guy's a 5th round pick, it shouldn't shock people if all he amounts to is a role-player in the end.  But he's still a valuable role-player.  I just think right now he's lost the status as someone that they team will "draft around" (i.e. they're not going to shine a player they think can fill the position better solely because they have Jatavis).

I meant after training camp/pre-season, no way we trade him before hand. He's decent depth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For trade compensation, I'd say a fourth rounder would sound about right.  Considering it's the Steelers, it's darn near the fifth round.  Maybe James Connor straight up player wise?  We could use a quality back up to Gordon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 8:49 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

For trade compensation, I'd say a fourth rounder would sound about right.  Considering it's the Steelers, it's darn near the fifth round.  Maybe James Connor straight up player wise?  We could use a quality back up to Gordon

They aren't getting better compensation than what they spent on Jatavis because, flatly, he hasn't earned that.  And this is coming from someone who feels like fans overvalue draft picks.  That's part of why I just don't see any trade happening unless another player comes in who legitimately makes Jatavis superfluous (not just as someone who has the potential to start but as someone who usurps his back-up and ST snaps), the compensation returned isn't going to be worth trading the depth the player provides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The LBC said:

They aren't getting better compensation than what they spent on Jatavis because, flatly, he hasn't earned that.  And this is coming from someone who feels like fans overvalue draft picks.  That's part of why I just don't see any trade happening unless another player comes in who legitimately makes Jatavis superfluous (not just as someone who has the potential to start but as someone who usurps his back-up and ST snaps), the compensation returned isn't going to be worth trading the depth the player provides.

I agree, that's why I figured a fourth might entice us because I don't think a 5-7 is going to net us a better player than Brown (situational sub/backup/special team player).  A fourth doesn't sound unreasonable if the Steelers in fact liked Jatavis at one point, think he has starter potential but is stuck in a bad fit defensively.  Or a player like Connor, who is stuck behind Bell therefore making him somewhat expendable to the Steelers.  Of course this is all speculation and guesswork, but the OP asked what we thought compensation would look like, that's what I think sounded right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I agree, that's why I figured a fourth might entice us because I don't think a 5-7 is going to net us a better player than Brown (situational sub/backup/special team player).  A fourth doesn't sound unreasonable if the Steelers in fact liked Jatavis at one point, think he has starter potential but is stuck in a bad fit defensively.  Or a player like Connor, who is stuck behind Bell therefore making him somewhat expendable to the Steelers.  Of course this is all speculation and guesswork, but the OP asked what we thought compensation would look like, that's what I think sounded right

Yeah.  I have a hard time seeing the Steelers giving Bell the kind of cheddar he's demanding, so I feel like Conner is off the table as, even coming off an injury, he's probably their chosen starter (if not immediately then a year from now, they have pieces in Fitz Toussant and Ridley who can fill, plus I wouldn't put it past them to give Jeremy Hill a look if one of the later two departs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Yeah.  I have a hard time seeing the Steelers giving Bell the kind of cheddar he's demanding, so I feel like Conner is off the table as, even coming off an injury, he's probably their chosen starter (if not immediately then a year from now, they have pieces in Fitz Toussant and Ridley who can fill, plus I wouldn't put it past them to give Jeremy Hill a look if one of the later two departs).

History is on your side for sure, I'm not sold they're gonna pay him either.  His usage rate was extremely high this year which makes you wonder if they're gonna run him into the ground and then let him go.  Again though, it's pure speculation on my part,  Connor was a name on their roster I thought maybe they could part with and we would have some use for.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Patriots fan, the Super Bowl made it clear to everyone that we need some more defensive speed. I’d be excited if Bill shipped something over for Brown so Hightower can just rush the passer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see why we would even consider trading him. The only reason that he struggled this year is because of how messed up his ankle was, and it took him nearly half the season to come back from that.  He was basically limited to just passing downs even in the games he did play.  He's a great fit on this defense for the roles that Deion Jones and Telvin Smith play for the Falcons and Jacksonville.  If he can stay healthy, he's easily a starting quality player, but even if he doesn't, he's well worth it to keep as a backup/dime LB and a ST's player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×