TCMD - Frequently Asked Questions (OPEN)

ny92mike

10 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

I said I'm willing to work with you and everyone else with this.  

I don't have a lot of time to discuss this right now because I'm about to be driving home, but I'll explain my problem with what you are wanting to do.

If you tag Kirk that tagged amount must hit your cap and the tender offer sheet must be expired before you could technically trade him.  Once he is signed to your roster any team willing to trade for him would need to take that one year deal w/ the tagged dollar amount, because its guaranteed and why would any player pass on a massive one year deal.  This last part I'm going off memory from the cba.  I believe that is why Matt Cassel didn't receive his extension the year he was tagged but got it the following year.

Gladly willing to research this when I get home.

Looking at the series of events from the Jared Allen trade, NFL free agency was in Feb 2008.  He was in early April 2008, before the 2008 Draft that happened on April 26, 2008 (because the Vikings gave up picks in that draft).  Whether that timeline was due to any rule or due to the Chiefs taking their time trying to maximize trade value I can't say.  The Vikings announced a contract extension with Allen once the deal was complete (so same year).

Matt Cassel was traded February 28, 2009.  Here was the schedule in 2009:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/176619-2009-nfl-key-dates

• February 5 — The first opportunity for clubs to designate franchise and transition players.
  • February 8 —  AFC-NFC Pro Bowl, Honolulu, Hawaii (NBC) – This is the game that no one watches or cares about. The players will get their last Hawaiin vacation in the 2009 All-Star game as all future Pro Bowls will be held in the Super Bowl city the week prior to the big game’s festiviities.
  • February 18-24 — NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis, Indiana – The NFL’s annual pro prospect poking and prodding event
  • February 19 — Deadline for clubs to designate franchise and transition players.
  • February 26 — Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to their restricted free agents (fewer than 3 years of free agency credit) whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.
  • February 27 — Veteran free agency signing and Trading periods begin

So Cassel was able to be traded once free agency began.  That appears to be the rule.  

tagged player has to sign their offer sheet before they can be traded which is probably what is hard to gauge in a mock

like why would Cousins auto sign an offersheet to get traded instead of be the highest paid QB again and then be a UFA? Why give leverage back to teams, and players hold off signing the offer sheets all the time.

3 minutes ago, Trojan said:

tagged player has to sign their offer sheet before they can be traded which is probably what is hard to gauge in a mock

like why would Cousins auto sign an offersheet to get traded instead of be the highest paid QB again and then be a UFA? Why give leverage back to teams, and players hold off signing the offer sheets all the time.

Because the new team is going to give him a long term extension.

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because the new team is going to give him a long term extension.

WAS tags Cousins. Two other teams want him. One offers the Skins a 2nd round pick and Cousins a 4year/100mil deal. The other team offers the Skins a 4th round pick, but Cousins a 4year/130mil deal.

Who gets Cousins? The team that tagged him wants the better pick, but Cousins likely doesn't sign the tender unless he picks which contract.

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

WAS tags Cousins. Two other teams want him. One offers the Skins a 2nd round pick and Cousins a 4year/100mil deal. The other team offers the Skins a 4th round pick, but Cousins a 4year/130mil deal.

Who gets Cousins? The team that tagged him wants the better pick, but Cousins likely doesn't sign the tender unless he picks which contract.

1. That's impossible to answer because there are a million other variable that could go into that decision.  Does he want to live in that city?  Does he like that coach?  Do they have a good roster?  So many other things could impact the decision besides just dollars.  

2. This is a mock and you can't make it exactly like the real world because this isn't the real world.  

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

So wouldn't the most realistic options the mock has (since variables are hard to guess) be to tag and keep on the Skins or let him enter FA? I think that's what ny92 is getting at.

How is that realistic?  Teams do tag and trade players.

Because of there being so many variables in different situations, with this being a mock, it’s hard to do certain things that involve so many variables. The tag and trade is very very rare in the NFL. From what I can see only two times it’s happened. Since we’re doing a mock we have to have a reasonable cutoff for certain situations since we can’t account for every little situation that can be possible. 

21 minutes ago, davidderion said:

Because of there being so many variables in different situations, with this being a mock, it’s hard to do certain things that involve so many variables. The tag and trade is very very rare in the NFL. From what I can see only two times it’s happened. Since we’re doing a mock we have to have a reasonable cutoff for certain situations since we can’t account for every little situation that can be possible. 

Its happened more than twice.  Also the Kirk Cousins situation is a special case in that he will likely be the domino that starts the QB carousel this offseason.  Restricting his movement makes the mock less realistic IMO.

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Its happened more than twice.  Also the Kirk Cousins situation is a special case in that he will likely be the domino that starts the QB carousel this offseason.  Restricting his movement makes the mock less realistic IMO.

IRL, no one is trading for him if he's tagged. no one is going to want 35 Million guaranteed against there books, when most teams have multiple holes to fill. 

I get what @MKnight82 is saying.  I also realize that it does not happen that often IRL.   I believe 3 times (Jared Allen, Matt Cassell, Corey Williams) in the last 10 years.  

There are some mechanics in this Mock that do not happen IRL.  

IRL, NFL teams if they are going to trade for a tagged player,  would like to have some idea on the contract demands and how likely they would be able to get the player to sign an extension prior to making that trade.  In TCMD, since the APY serves as the basis for contract extensions, all teams will know what the demands are and need to be satisfied in order to work out an extension.  The drawback of this is in TCMD, it is only a 1 year situation and we as GM's have the ability to sacrifice the future in a much less punishing way vs what NFL teams may consider.  

History of franchised players from 2007 to 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

31 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I get what @MKnight82 is saying.  I also realize that it does not happen that often IRL.   I believe 3 times (Jared Allen, Matt Cassell, Corey Williams) in the last 10 years.  

There are some mechanics in this Mock that do not happen IRL.  

IRL, NFL teams if they are going to trade for a tagged player,  would like to have some idea on the contract demands and how likely they would be able to get the player to sign an extension prior to making that trade.  In TCMD, since the APY serves as the basis for contract extensions, all teams will know what the demands are and need to be satisfied in order to work out an extension.  The drawback of this is in TCMD, it is only a 1 year situation and we as GM's have the ability to sacrifice the future in a much less punishing way vs what NFL teams may consider.  

History of franchised players from 2007 to 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

Ok but realize this, the Kirk Cousins situation basically defines this offseason for the Redskins.  Being hamstrung with limited options basically ruins the mock for me.

Archived