TCMD - Frequently Asked Questions (OPEN)

ny92mike

29 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I get what @MKnight82 is saying.  I also realize that it does not happen that often IRL.   I believe 3 times (Jared Allen, Matt Cassell, Corey Williams) in the last 10 years.  

There are some mechanics in this Mock that do not happen IRL.  

IRL, NFL teams if they are going to trade for a tagged player,  would like to have some idea on the contract demands and how likely they would be able to get the player to sign an extension prior to making that trade.  In TCMD, since the APY serves as the basis for contract extensions, all teams will know what the demands are and need to be satisfied in order to work out an extension.  The drawback of this is in TCMD, it is only a 1 year situation and we as GM's have the ability to sacrifice the future in a much less punishing way vs what NFL teams may consider.  

History of franchised players from 2007 to 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

I also agree with the point but the fact of having too many variables should imo prevent tag and trades in this mock. Every team was tagging all their top free agents and some were then being traded for 4th and 5th round picks previously in ffmd. 

I do think cousins is a unique case but for the opposite reasons he is due to earn so much on a tag he would not give up his right for free agency and sign a tag unless he is guaranteed that super size contract. He will sign a long term deal through free agency for the team of his choosing eliminating the variables.

if he sign the tag and got traded he would just play on a one year deal for that team and not sign a long term deal as he has secured the 34mil guaranteed from the tender.

just by 2p worth

3 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

I also agree with the point but the fact of having too many variables should imo prevent tag and trades in this mock. Every team was tagging all their top free agents and some were then being traded for 4th and 5th round picks previously in ffmd. 

I do think cousins is a unique case but for the opposite reasons he is due to earn so much on a tag he would not give up his right for free agency and sign a tag unless he is guaranteed that super size contract. He will sign a long term deal through free agency for the team of his choosing eliminating the variables.

if he sign the tag and got traded he would just play on a one year deal for that team and not sign a long term deal as he has secured the 34mil guaranteed from the tender.

just by 2p worth

Cousins has said in multiple interviews this offseason he’s looking for a long term extension this year.

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Cousins has said in multiple interviews this offseason he’s looking for a long term extension this year.

Totally agree. Which is why he will test free agency. If he is forced into a trade he will take the guarentee that brings especially if he is traded to a team he doesn’t want to join for all the reasons listed in previous posts, you don’t give up 30+mil for a year unless you sign for a team you want. 

About 30 mins ago...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/30/kirk-cousins-wants-to-win-and-find-the-right-team-he-can-help-win/

(1) I agree with @MKnight82 what happens with Cousins will have a HUGE impact on this sim

(2) I thought the rules had been established with no tag & trades for anyone

I actually think two things:

(1) How much work would it create for @ny92jefferis?

(2) is it fair to ALL teams in this sim?

Maybe a vote would be in order?

4 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

About 30 mins ago...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/30/kirk-cousins-wants-to-win-and-find-the-right-team-he-can-help-win/

(1) I agree with @MKnight82 what happens with Cousins will have a HUGE impact on this sim

Ok so this article is a perfect example of why a tag and trade is such a big possibility IRL here.  Cousins said tag if the Redskins tag him again he'll sign it.  The problem with signing it is that when he signs it they can no longer agree to a long term extension with them, and he'd cripple the Redskins cap by counting $35 mil against the cap this year.  So he's basically threatening the Redskins front office here by saying he won't sign a long term extension with the Redskins.  

On the reverse side of this Redskins GM Bruce Allen has said that using the franchise tag again on Cousins is a real possibility.  So he's essentially saying we aren't going to let Cousins leave for nothing.  

I'm going to do the exact same thing.  I'm going to use the Franchise Tag on Cousins in this mock.  He will never hit free agency.  The problem is that I will then be forced to extend him in this mock (so he doesn't count so much against the cap), which he will be forced to sign because there are no personalities keeping it from getting done.  How "realistic" is that?  

5 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

About 30 mins ago...

1. Totally agree.

2. You are correct.

My interest in the mock will not be altered if this happens or not but you can’t allow it for one and not others. I don’t want to see all top free agents and in some cases lesser free agents tagged and then just traded for next to no value just so the team receives compensation. 

3 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

1. Totally agree.

2. You are correct.

My interest in the mock will not be altered if this happens or not but you can’t allow it for one and not others. I don’t want to see all top free agents and in some cases lesser free agents tagged and then just traded for next to no value just so the team receives compensation. 

Why would anyone do this?

8 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

1. Totally agree.

2. You are correct.

I don't think the value will be low for a team that trade their tagged player.

As for the top free agents, in reality how many top free agents don't get tagged anyway? You think Kirk Cousins, Le'Veon Bell or Drew Brees won't get tagged this year? Even Case Keenum is rumored to get tagged.

4 minutes ago, BowserBroncos said:

I don't think the value will be low for a team that trade their tagged player.

As for the top free agents, in reality how many top free agents don't get tagged anyway? You think Kirk Cousins, Le'Veon Bell or Drew Brees won't get tagged this year? Even Case Keenum is rumored to get tagged.

Yes but teams tag players to keep them.

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Why would anyone do this?

People have in the past.

i could tag Landry knowing I don’t want him and trade him to someone knowing I will get the instant 4th round pick and they get someone without having to bid on free agency and only giving up a low round pick.

could get worse with someone tagging a lower grade free agent let’s say reggie Nelson to get a 6th rounder if someone has shed loads of cap space and do not care if they pay 10mil a year.

not fussed so I won’t say anything more just my opinion. Cheers guys

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ok so this article is a perfect example of why a tag and trade is such a big possibility IRL here.  Cousins said tag if the Redskins tag him again he'll sign it.  The problem with signing it is that when he signs it they can no longer agree to a long term extension with them, and he'd cripple the Redskins cap by counting $35 mil against the cap this year.  So he's basically threatening the Redskins front office here by saying he won't sign a long term extension with the Redskins.  

On the reverse side of this Redskins GM Bruce Allen has said that using the franchise tag again on Cousins is a real possibility.  So he's essentially saying we aren't going to let Cousins leave for nothing.  

I'm going to do the exact same thing.  I'm going to use the Franchise Tag on Cousins in this mock.  He will never hit free agency.  The problem is that I will then be forced to extend him in this mock (so he doesn't count so much against the cap), which he will be forced to sign because there are no personalities keeping it from getting done.  How "realistic" is that?  

Why couldn't Cousins sign a long term deal with WAS if he signed the tender?  Whether he signs it in May, June or whenever, it goes as an extension and the guaranteed $$ from the tag could/would be converted into other guarantees across the length of the contract.  

It can limit a team that would want to trade for him, because Cousins is set to make $35M in 2018 and the team has no guarantee that he will sign a long term deal with that new team.  That new team could be right back where WAS is now with a QB about to be a FA that would be set to make a huge amount if that new team were to franchise tag him (not sure if he could be tagged again).   A new team is getting a 1 year rental at a really high cap hit for 2018 which lessens the value in trade.

31 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

People have in the past.

i could tag Landry knowing I don’t want him and trade him to someone knowing I will get the instant 4th round pick and they get someone without having to bid on free agency and only giving up a low round pick.

could get worse with someone tagging a lower grade free agent let’s say reggie Nelson to get a 6th rounder if someone has shed loads of cap space and do not care if they pay 10mil a year.

not fussed so I won’t say anything more just my opinion. Cheers guys

But that's just common sense of justice, just like we try to be fair on the trades we all should be fair with the tags and just place it if we do intend to retain the player or trade him for a real good and realistic offer.

25 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Technically there is nothing in the CBA preventing a 4th Tag, however you can be damn sure that would go to arbitration. 

It would also be 120% of his $35M....so $42M for 1 year.  Cousins could keep that train rolling and make a huge amount

Archived