Some Edge-Rushers Who the Green Bay Packers Might Consider in Round 1 of the 2018 NFL Draft

Bob Fox

So he only speaks of 3 edge rushers whom are worthy of our pick at # 14? And one, Clelin Ferrell of Clemson, isn't coming out if I've been told correctly. And Davenport is tearing it up this week at the Senior Bowl and is already being projected at # 7. Did he write this article the day before Christmas or what?

LINEBACKERS (D-plus): This unit is expected to produce the big plays in the 3-4 defense Green Bay has employed since 2009. In 2017, the group failed miserably. Matthews (8.5) and Perry (7.0), the two highest paid players on the defense, both missed time with injuries and combined for 15.5 sacks. With little depth at the position, Green Bay needed double-digit sacks from both players. Martinez tied for the NFL lead in tackles (144), but struggled in pass coverage. Others like Fackrell, Ryan and Biegel look like backups, at best. Green Bay needs an infusion of talent for this group in April’s draft.

The sad part about the LBs failing miserably in 2017 is that said failure was hardly a surprise given the "talent."

If Biegel could be a decent 3rd or even 4th OLBer, that would be fine.

Ryan would also be fine, as a backup.

Fackrell is not adequate, even as a backup.

A significant infusion of talent at LB is desperately needed this offseason just as it was last offseason.

Glad that, with Gut at GM, there is a chance the needed talent will be procured.

I enjoyed hearing something about Okoronkwo, good to see he is not overwhelmed when setting an edge (which I thought he might be). He should put on a few pounds anyway, once he's in an NFL  S&C program. As long as he is still quick at 250 to 255 lb, as he is at 240 odd. Ferrell has surprised many by going back to college.

There are reservations about Arden Key (and who would want a headcase, if he is like Aldon Smith). It was said elsewhere on this forum that Davenport wins mostly with power, Key mostly by bending around the edge (and he can REALLY lean, for a 6'5" guy). They both need refining, but I would guess it is easier to teach Davenport to run the arc, than to get Key to convert speed to power.

A guy who seems to be all over the place, is Boston College OLB Harold Landry. For example, GBNorth has him at 24 overall, Daniel Jeremiah at 39, Drafttek at 46 and CBS at 103, but I've seen him elsewhere ranked up as high as 5th overall. Given that he was looked on as a sure-fire high pick, after 2016, he might be a huge bargain if he lasts to the Packers second round pick (pick 45).

Tremaine Edmunds (Virginia Tech) is another big question mark with tremendous height/speed/athleticism, there are several very athletic guys this year at 6'4" or 6'5". Jeremiah has him ranked way up at #3 overall. I'm not sure where he finally slots in, probably round one somewhere, but not as high as 3rd overall. He has cover skills to go with the measurables for rushing. Pettine would probably love his versatility.

I didn't hear about the news about Ferrell not coming out, as I've been focused on the vote for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2018 (see Jerry Kramer) which will take place a week from today. I've been communicating with Rick Gosselin and some other Hall of Fame voters recently. Gosselin will be doing the presentation for Jerry next Saturday and he feels very confident No. 64 will be voted in.

In terms of Davenport, he did have a very good week at the Senior Bowl practices, but as Landry mentioned, " Struggles once engaged in a block and was manhandled by Alex Cappa on one down."

In terms of who will go No. 7 in the draft to the Bucs, the beat writers here in the Tampa Bay area expect the team to take Bradley Chubb of North Carolina if he falls to seven.

In regard to Harold Landry, this is what Chris Landry (no relation) wrote earlier this week about the Boston College star:

Harold Landry might not have the physical stature to work as a base defensive end at the NFL level. Listed at 6-foot-3, 250 pounds entering the 2017 season, he may have to learn to play up on early down and down in the nickel. Landry was a late Senior Bowl scratch due to an ankle injury which sidelined him for the final four games of the regular season, plus Boston College’s Pinstripe Bowl loss to Iowa. We saw peak, healthy Landry in 2016, when he posted 22 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks.

The bottom line is it's way too early (three months before the actual draft) to prognosticate correctly who is going where and when in the 2018 NFL draft (I'll soon be doing my first mock draft for the Pack though ;)). Cleveland holds the cards at No. 1. Plus they have pick No. 4. Will John Dorsey pick a QB at No. 1? Or will he pick RB Saquon Barkley instead and wait for a QB at No. 4?  Could Dorsey pick Chubb at No. 4 to pair with Myles Garrett as bookend DEs for his defense? Speaking of QBs, you might see as many as five get drafted before the Packers pick at No. 14.

Thanks for the insights and effort Bob - always appreciated. Although I'll be riding shotgun on basically all the draft prognosis posts (as I dont watch enough college ball to hold a qualified opinion of one player versus another) - I do enjoy narrowing the focus through data such as you've provided.

18 minutes ago, Bob Fox said:

I didn't hear about the news about Ferrell not coming out, as I've been focused on the vote for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2018 (see Jerry Kramer) which will take place a week from today. I've been communicating with Rick Gosselin and some other Hall of Fame voters recently. Gosselin will be doing the presentation for Jerry next Saturday and he feels very confident No. 64 will be voted in.

In terms of Davenport, he did have a very good week at the Senior Bowl practices, but as Landry mentioned, " Struggles once engaged in a block and was manhandled by Alex Cappa on one down."

In terms of who will go No. 7 in the draft to the Bucs, the beat writers here in the Tampa Bay area expect the team to take Bradley Chubb of North Carolina if he falls to seven.

In regard to Harold Landry, this is what Chris Landry (no relation) wrote earlier this week about the Boston College star:

Harold Landry might not have the physical stature to work as a base defensive end at the NFL level. Listed at 6-foot-3, 250 pounds entering the 2017 season, he may have to learn to play up on early down and down in the nickel. Landry was a late Senior Bowl scratch due to an ankle injury which sidelined him for the final four games of the regular season, plus Boston College’s Pinstripe Bowl loss to Iowa. We saw peak, healthy Landry in 2016, when he posted 22 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks.

The bottom line is it's way too early (three months before the actual draft) to prognosticate correctly who is going where and when in the 2018 NFL draft (I'll soon be doing my first mock draft for the Pack though ;)). Cleveland holds the cards at No. 1. Plus they have pick No. 4. Will John Dorsey pick a QB at No. 1? Or will he pick RB Saquon Barkley instead and wait for a QB at No. 4?  Could Dorsey pick Chubb at No. 4 to pair with Myles Garrett as bookend DEs for his defense? Speaking of QBs, you might see as many as five get drafted before the Packers pick at No. 14.

Ha I like how you begin with saying its way too early to predict but then follow up with predictions :)

You are correct, Kenrik. B| I know how hot the NFL draft has become. I've been a NFL draft geek since the mid-1980s. I've been doing mock drafts for the Packers since my days at Packer Report. I think I did my first one in 2003. I like to do my first one before the combine (which is two months before the draft). I usually do four mocks overall. When I was at Bleacher Report, my draft stories would get two to three times as many views as a regular or historical article.

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thanks for the insights and effort Bob - always appreciated. Although I'll be riding shotgun on basically all the draft prognosis posts (as I dont watch enough college ball to hold a qualified opinion of one player versus another) - I do enjoy narrowing the focus through data such as you've provided.

Thank you once again, Leader! :)

As much as I want an EDGE rusher there are many ways we could go at #14. I could see Roquon Smith if he falls that far. A QB would be a shock, but it could happen if they start to fall. I think Bob could be right about 5 going, but it could also be 2-3 depending on how free agency falls. There are a lot of guys who could move. The Vikings alone have 3 guys who a team could say, this is our guy and not go QB as a result. 

If the QB Green Bay has rated #1 is sitting there would our new GM pull the trigger? It would be a gutsy move, not one I would be fond of but hard to disagree if that falls that way. How about if Barclay falls? Again, I do not value the RB position that highly and like what we have but it could be tough to pass that talent up. 

Chubb falling to 14 is the dream, but it isn't going to happen. Love Key's talent but red flags are real. 

This piece has some significant problems.

Perry is listed at ILB, Jake Ryan is listed at OLB. 

Martinez is listed as having coverage issues.

Davenport is written as a speed rusher.

Clein Ferrell is listed as an option at 14 despite not being in the draft. 

The following sentence was written unironically:

It’s almost like almost every position could use an upgrade of some sort, at least in terms of quality depth, like at the quarterback position behind Aaron Rodgers.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This piece has some significant problems.

Perry is listed at ILB, Jake Ryan is listed at OLB. 

Martinez is listed as having coverage issues.

Davenport is written as a speed rusher.

Clein Ferrell is listed as an option at 14 despite not being in the draft. 

The following sentence was written unironically:

I'm not ragging on the guy, but I'm not overly impressed with Martinez or any of our ILB's coverage skills. Thomas is probably the best - Ryan the worst and how would you describe Davenport if not as a speed rusher?

31 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not ragging on the guy, but I'm not overly impressed with Martinez or any of our ILB's coverage skills. Thomas is probably the best - Ryan the worst and how would you describe Davenport if not as a speed rusher?

At least in Dom's scheme, ILB coverage is the easiest thing to do (assuming your an NFL athlete). It doesn't matter. You pick ILBs for other traits. 

And can we please get these threads condensed into the NFL Draft Prospects threads. I don't want have to have to read every thread  for this dude to promote to his own articles. 

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Martinez was top 5 in PDU at ILB, had a pick this year, and was overall rock solid in coverage. Clearly our best guy.

Davenport's a pure power rusher. Watch the dude play Baylor. I don't think he bent his hips once in that game. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Martinez was top 5 in PDU at ILB, had a pick this year, and was overall rock solid in coverage. Clearly our best guy.

Davenport's a pure power rusher. Watch the dude play Baylor. I don't think he bent his hips once in that game. 

Agree to disagree. I think saying Martinez "struggled" in coverage accurate.

Archived