Josh McDaniels withdraws from Colts HC job

Wyld Stallyns

I mean, it’s one of the worst kept secrets in the NFL. As soon as the Colts declined to interview Steve Wilks and the Titans hired Mike Vrabel it was all but set in stone.

Look for former Cowboys LB coach Matt Eberflus to be the Defensive Coordinator (Cowboy contract expired) and former Raiders QB Jake Peetz to be the Offensive Coordinator (Raiders hired Brian Callahan). 

I’m more intrigued by Eberflus then Peetz as I expect McDaniels will have a lot of say in how the offense is run.

Eberflus has worked with both the 4-3 and the 3-4 so there is no certainty that we are changing but he’s been playcalling in the passing game for a 4-3 D for the past year and has been working with 4-3 linebackers for a couple years now. 

If Peetz is the guys I’m a little worried but not as much as I would be if the Head Coach didn’t have the control on the offense I expect McDaniels to have.

Peetz  was a defensive assistant before getting into scouting with the Jaguars from 2008-2011. He was an offensive assistant for the Jags in ‘12, then worked at Alabama as a QB assistant in ‘13. In ‘14 he was an offensive quality control/WR assistant for the Redskins. Then he joined the Raiders in ‘15 as a senior offensive assistant, became assistant QB coach in ‘16 and QB coach in 2017. 

He worked with Mike Mularky’s staff in Jacksonville in 2012,  Nick Saban (Alabama), Jay Gruden and Sean McVay (Washington) and Jack Del Rio, Bill Musgrave and Todd Downing in Oakland. 

Even though Peetz and McDaniels have no initial ties, Peetz worked with Saban which automatically links them together because of Belichick. 

I’m sure we’ll find out more about the staff as the next week progresses and even more when the hiring becomes official 

On 1/28/2018 at 6:54 AM, stallyns said:
I mean, it’s one of the worst kept secrets in the NFL. As soon as the Colts declined to interview Steve Wilks and the Titans hired Mike Vrabel it was all but set in stone.

Look for former Cowboys LB coach Matt Eberflus to be the Defensive Coordinator (Cowboy contract expired) and former Raiders QB Jake Peetz to be the Offensive Coordinator (Raiders hired Brian Callahan). 

I’m more intrigued by Eberflus then Peetz as I expect McDaniels will have a lot of say in how the offense is run.

Eberflus has worked with both the 4-3 and the 3-4 so there is no certainty that we are changing but he’s been playcalling in the passing game for a 4-3 D for the past year and has been working with 4-3 linebackers for a couple years now. 

If Peetz is the guys I’m a little worried but not as much as I would be if the Head Coach didn’t have the control on the offense I expect McDaniels to have.

Peetz  was a defensive assistant before getting into scouting with the Jaguars from 2008-2011. He was an offensive assistant for the Jags in ‘12, then worked at Alabama as a QB assistant in ‘13. In ‘14 he was an offensive quality control/WR assistant for the Redskins. Then he joined the Raiders in ‘15 as a senior offensive assistant, became assistant QB coach in ‘16 and QB coach in 2017. 

He worked with Mike Mularky’s staff in Jacksonville in 2012,  Nick Saban (Alabama), Jay Gruden and Sean McVay (Washington) and Jack Del Rio, Bill Musgrave and Todd Downing in Oakland. 

Even though Peetz and McDaniels have no initial ties, Peetz worked with Saban which automatically links them together because of Belichick. 

I’m sure we’ll find out more about the staff as the next week progresses and even more when the hiring becomes official 

It's certainly interesting how this whole thing is going down. I have never followed a team, college or pro that went through the hiring process in this manner. That said, It  has surely allowed a great deal of time for rabid fans on the internet to wax eloquent of the subject. 

You and I see eye to eye on the above bolded statements. I don't know that much about Peetz, but damn....he has a wealth of influences. He was hired by all those guys for a reason. I already like this coaching staff better than I have since the mid 2000's...and they aren't even hired yet! lol. 

With a healthy Luck....color me excited to a level I haven't had for a while. 

DeGuglielmo was also with McDaniels in NE for 2 years

from DeGuglielmo’s Wikipedia page

7 hours ago, iothar said:

Wasn't he the O line coach for the Pats when they lost to the broncos by 1 point? He was fired following the game and scar was brought back. Hopefully he learned some lessons in the next 2 years.

Yes, but it was a 2 pt loss 20-18. Brady’s 2pt conversion was intercepted. 

Archived